↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Power steering fluid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vera's Driver

United Kingdom 
Power steering fluid
My newly bought1999 Td5 90 has an MOT advisable due to leaking steering box. Fluid level checked today and low. Should I drain the system and top entirely with new fluid or just top up. What is the recommended fluid of choice. As mentioned before very much the novice here.
Post #899240 20th Apr 2021 10:09pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
check what's in there already it should be atf (red stuff) but its common for it to have the later type stuff as well (golden colour)

the only proper fix is to get the box reconditioned or fit an exchange box.
Post #899274 21st Apr 2021 8:27am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Make sure the engine is running and upto temperature when checking the level. Power Assisted Steering (PAS) fluid is the same as Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) so red in colour, so unless it looks dirty I can’t see a need to flush it out Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT

Last edited by Leamreject on 21st Apr 2021 3:30pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #899300 21st Apr 2021 10:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geobloke

United Kingdom 
As the others have said a new steering box or seal refurb kit is required to solve the fluid leak. However, if you need a "stop gap" to get you through to payday etc. then it might be worth trying some of the PAS system stop leak products. These swell the seals and can slow or prevent the leak for a while until a proper repair can be made.

Replacing a steering box DIY style is moderately easy to do on the street outside your home. The only challenge is lifting the box in place and is much easier with two people. Whilst you have the box out it is worth replacing the drop arm ball joint as it is easy to get to. There is usually a weep below the PAS reservoir where the pipe has hardened over time, whilst the system is empty give the reservoir a good clean out (there is usually detritus in the bottom), check the pipes and replace the jubilee clips if they look past it. Then once the box is back in position a full flush of the system is worth every penny... Procedure is fill with fluid, allow the system to bleed itself (follow manual), then flush through the steering box bleed nipple. A couple of litres bleed through will do a good job.

As it happens last Saturday I did just this after replacing the PAS pump.
Post #899316 21st Apr 2021 12:51pm
Vera's Driver

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the useful info. Yes it is my intention to put in a new steering box, but have prioritised some other deficiencies first, such as leaking windscreen , alpine windows, rear fog light, lack of full service. As my colleague with a Series 3 said " welcome to the bruised knuckle club" ... Laughing
Post #899363 21st Apr 2021 6:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1