↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ECU Remap in the Salisbury Area
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
wslr

United Kingdom 
Modern ECU's require constant software updates on them, and the Puma's powertrain ECU is one of them.
Post #89729 18th Sep 2011 8:24am
Cordite72

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
OK. As you can probably tell I am learning fast here.....and I thought the Taliban were a challenge! I am now beginning to see the benefit of the ATRIC box through the whole life of the vehicle.

- Do most people revert to the factory setting for a service, or stick with the Alive remap?
- What do people tend to opt for on the other 2 maps - fuel efficiency/towing/performance?
- As I undersand it, if you get the ATRIC box you don't get the air filters (which are part of the Level 1 package I think) and can't rely on a professional fitter to help you. Is the ATRIC fairly easy to work for the unitiated? Do most people get the filter as well and if so how long does it last for?

Thanks
Post #89744 18th Sep 2011 10:08am
wslr

United Kingdom 
The filters are just one part of the Alive package 1. It really depends on your budget and what you want out of the vehicle. These filters need cleaning depending on the use. One the road in the UK this is likely to be every 50k miles+.

You need to let Gary know any modifications beforehand, so that when he writes the map, he makes full use of the hardware fitted. Best modification tends to be the cat removal by using a T304 premium grade decat pipe. That moves some of the restriction in the exhaust system. Then, if you wanted more out of the map, then you need to replace the hoses and intercooler. This allows more boost without risking blowing a hole in the standard intercooler. Then factor in a full stainless low restriction exhaust system and modified turbos, and you are suddenly in a completely different league to the standard (over restricted EU) setup.

The beauty of the ATRIC is that you can revert back to the standard map when needed, and dealership service time is the time to do that. TBH though very few dealerships will spend the time to plug in SDD/IDS except where a fault is obvious on road test or the engine light is illuminated. Normally, that would be the time where the latest calibration file is uploaded onto the powertrain ECU as this tends to be the first procedure on the technicians list - this will be written over any software already on the ECU.

So in short:
Do most people revert to the factory setting for a service, or stick with the Alive remap?
Not most people - Everyone should revert to the standard LR map before sending the vehicle for service
What do people tend to opt for on the other 2 maps - fuel efficiency/towing/performance?
I don't tow but would like a blend of the performance and economy. Depends how you use it.
As I understand it, if you get the ATRIC box you don't get the air filters (which are part of the Level 1 package I think) and can't rely on a professional fitter to help you. Is the ATRIC fairly easy to work for the unitiated? Do most people get the filter as well and if so how long does it last for?
It depends if you can use a PC or not - or if not, can you get help from a friend/family?
Post #89750 18th Sep 2011 10:46am
Lorryman100

Cordite72 wrote:
How often is that likely to be? Surely the ECU is the ECU and is unlikely to be updated even at an annual service.

There are often upgrades to the ECU to get around issues customers are having with their defenders. There is also numerous versions of the ECU software as well. The BBS MSV2 allows you to flash the ECU with any version of the PCM/EMS software to date. So if you inadvertently put the defender into dealers with the remap on and it gets a software update, you can erase the Atric box and do a fresh engine file with the new upgraded software file from the ECU and send this to Gary, or with a MSV2 you can reflash the original software meaning you can use the original remap files.

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #89764 18th Sep 2011 12:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
And those software numbers you listed are old, as there has since been another update across every one of them.
Post #89766 18th Sep 2011 12:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

I know Wink Picture was to illustrate there is more than one software version for the defender. Thumbs Up
Post #89768 18th Sep 2011 12:12pm
Cordite72

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks Chaps - looks like a minefield!
Post #89770 18th Sep 2011 12:24pm
90def

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Epsom Green
air filtter
i asked gary about a air filtter when the remap was done . im a gamekeeper so most of my time is spent of road . gary told me to stick with the landrover one and change it more
Post #89778 18th Sep 2011 3:06pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The BBS MSV2 also allows you to program tuned files that you can purchase seperatly in the BBS shop, so if you already have an MSV2 no other hardware device is needed.

Pete
Post #89779 18th Sep 2011 3:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12