↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Hitch camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Griff90bowler

Wales 
Hitch camera
Can anyone give me a hand finding a camera system for my 90 I want to install it so I can see my tow ball for hitching up don’t want to fit a double din so maybe a rear view mirror ?
Post #896567 7th Apr 2021 10:19pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have two of these, one fitted so that I can see the coupling, and another fitted at the rear of my big IW trailer. Being wireless they are extraordinarily easy to fit. The monitors can be tuned to a particular transmitter, so I have one monitor for each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Wireless-...r_1_2_sspa
Post #896575 8th Apr 2021 12:21am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I fitted my rear view camera under the numberplate light. I oriented the camera such that I can see the tow ball as well. I more use it while reversing in tight parking spots. When I come to towing, I can see the distance, but given the angle I am looking at, it is not possible to see if I am aligned well.

I have one of the cheap rear view camera with monitor.. the ones that clip on the original rear view. Simply put, it is cheap. I have 2 complaints about it...1. When the sun is facing you and in the windscreen, it is very hard to see the monitor. I playes with brightness and contrast but just there is too much sunlight. 2. Physically the mirror is rather large, it interferes with the sunvisors.

There are single din radios with monitors that connect to rear view cameras. I have installed a Panasonic for a friend, on a Td5 and works really good with the rear view camera. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #896581 8th Apr 2021 5:20am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
blackwolf wrote:
I have two of these, one fitted so that I can see the coupling, and another fitted at the rear of my big IW trailer. Being wireless they are extraordinarily easy to fit. The monitors can be tuned to a particular transmitter, so I have one monitor for each.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Wireless-...r_1_2_sspa

I think I need to bite the bullet on something like this - could you post some photos of your install?
Post #896625 8th Apr 2021 10:25am
blackwolf

Here you go. Remember however that my vehicle is optimised for functionality rather than beauty - what suits me may not suit everyone.

I have an Amazon wireless jobbie (as in the link above) mounted to the rear of my roof-rack. This usually points downwards so that the hitch in just on the picture, but with a trailer on I usually push it up a little so that I can see the whole of the trailer. This camera allows me to reverse within millimetres of an object and is great for scaring people in car parks!

A second Amazon wireless jobbie is mounted on the rear of the trailer, wired in to the tail lights. This is handy for reversing, and also when overtaking since you know with certainty when you are passed the vehicle you're overtaking and you can pull in. My trailer (usually) has mesh sides fitted and even empty, with the solid flap on the IW canopy on the Defender and the mesh sides on the trailer, you completely lose sight of a Eurobox following close behind from the rear view mirrors. Flick the sidelights on and all is revealed.

I also have an Optimill number-plate-light-camera wired to the vehicle reversing lights and connected to a flip front single DIN head unit.

Finally there is a Blackvue DR650 Truck rear facing dash cam.

Since I try to keep the whole lot fully legal and the vehicle is N1, none of the items are mounted above dash level or in positions where they obscure any part of the windscreen. The two monitors for the Amazon jobbies are mounted using RAM mounts with Garmin small ball adaptors. The vehicle monitor is mounted to the n/s dash centre-panel screw using a MUD adaptor, the trailer screen is mounted to the passenger seat runner using RAM parts. The two other RAM mounts in the photo are for a smartphone (on the right) and for a tablet running MemoryMap (top centre). Nothing obstructs or fouls the gear lever or any of the controls or cupholders, although the flip screen of the head unit does obscure the hazard switch (cue reprimand from the forum fun police)!

Four cameras on the back may be excessive, but, coupled with the side facing and rear facing work lights, is very handy if you have to reverse an 18-foot-long trailer in a tight space in the dark.

Click image to enlarge

Edit: Somewhere in the publishing process the text for the Blackvue camera in the photo above has gone fuzzy! Sorry.
Post #896644 8th Apr 2021 12:38pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
That's brilliant ~ I now need to read it several times to absorb all the information.

Appreciate the effort that must have taken. Bow down
Post #896650 8th Apr 2021 12:49pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Looks like you are driving around in a mobile NASA mission control Blackwolf. Rolling with laughter
Post #896653 8th Apr 2021 1:04pm
blackwolf

Yes, it is a bit OTT with all the gadgets in the mounts! Embarassed
Post #896658 8th Apr 2021 1:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1