↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > A new "EV" World!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
A new "EV" World!
I've noticed an ever increasing mention of "EV' vehicles in the motoring press of late.
Today I read some almost (to me anyway) unbelievable figures for the soon to be released "Edition 1" EV Hummer, GM quoting 1000HP & 11500 ft lbs torque, an image shows the vehicle "almost" doing a wheelstand upon take off!
Pickles.
Post #896097 5th Apr 2021 10:17pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Nissans new leaf, has more torque than the defender, and some one was well arsey with the new model and over took us all, to the point they nearly caused a crash, That was due to the fact the thing had the power to over take 5 cars in one go practically. Nissan are not making anymore diesel cars now, from what i gather. The new juke and the new quashi are petrols only, with one rumoured to be have an EV version too. I think its strong to say that the small diesel car like the 208, corsa etc. Are the thing of the past now. Only the larger cars like the focus etc will still have diesel model, but then again that couild be on borrowed time too sadly. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #896109 6th Apr 2021 12:48am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: A new "EV" World!
Pickles wrote:
I've noticed an ever increasing mention of "EV' vehicles in the motoring press of late.
Today I read some almost (to me anyway) unbelievable figures for the soon to be released "Edition 1" EV Hummer, GM quoting 1000HP & 11500 ft lbs torque, an image shows the vehicle "almost" doing a wheelstand upon take off!
Pickles.

I think part of this is ‘marketing 101’. As in keep going on about to make the consumer guilty because they don’t have one therefor ‘go to your dealer and place an order now’.

Around my neck of the woods new builds over the last twenty years only have parking for one car, many recent new builds only have one community space and there is no guarantee that the local chav family won’t have friends over ....everyone else is filling up the local roads which is very much first come first served.

One nearby household has had a skip on their drive for the last three weeks and they cannot park anywhere near their own house, and their’s in an electric Volvo. No idea where they are charging it.

Vehicles like the Hummer (and it does look good) are the preserve of the rich only. I understand that it is starting from $100k

Unfortunately for the rest of us on a lesser budget I really can’t see the point on buying something like the Leaf and saying goodbye to certain hobbies and interests as a vehicle like that is only good for shopping for small items

Thankfully Defenders are infinitely rebuildiable and keep a steady value so well worth keeping.

How long before we see ‘charging rage’ at away from home charging points?

On another note that appeals with my sense of humour, our neighbour in the sense that their garage joins ours and now they have a hybrid BMW which they charge from their garage. The charging point on the front wing is 2:5 feet from my exhaust pipe. I just can’t feel guilty...... Whistle
Post #896224 6th Apr 2021 3:38pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
The biggest problem electric owners with on-street parking are facing is people pinching their electricity....... Also the health and safety issue of having a cable going across the pavement that's a trip hazzard. How do you solve that?
Post #896229 6th Apr 2021 3:54pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Most I have seen use rubber cable protectors when running across the pavement. Seems to work well. I’ve never heard of anyone nicking electricity. Does that happen where you live? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #896243 6th Apr 2021 4:23pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
There's a house near here with an extension cable spiralling up a tree in the garden, out over the pavement to a lamp post and then spiralled down the lamp post to the electric car on the street. Looks like a right faff, although I assume he doesn't coil it all away when he goes out in the car. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #896255 6th Apr 2021 4:58pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green

And this will be the next problem, you want range, you want power, you want to take the family out for a road trip, you want to pack your toys for the family holiday or the lads weekend.........it has to be this big.

Which in turn makes it the preserve of the rich only - and will those further down the food chain really take the chance on a third or fourth hand SUV EV that would suit their needs but will have to be written off as soon as the flux capacitor that runs the head unit blows rendering every driving aid dead.
Post #896304 6th Apr 2021 7:02pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
It might have been my local paper that i read it, but someone did a check on the EV ports in sunderland, and only a small amount were actually working Shocked This was sometime ago now, ( 3 years ago?) Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #896331 6th Apr 2021 8:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: A new "EV" World!
Pickles wrote:
Pickles.

Wink I thought we'd been discussing it for a while:
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70959.html?highlight=hummer
Post #896400 7th Apr 2021 8:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1