↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Internet Phone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
walfy

Internet Phone
Where we live out in the sticks our internet is pants and thats polite. We currently have 10mb download and 1mb upload speeds.
We've found a provider that will guarantee, 100 down and 10 up. for less money than BT are currently charging us.
But we need to keep our landline number. Wife insists on it as mobile reception isn't brilliant either.
So what is the cheapest way of having our house phone calls come in over the internet rather than a fixed wire? 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #895059 31st Mar 2021 10:46am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I use Sipgate & voipfone.co.uk

If you want to keep your existing number, voipfone is cheaper. Downside is that only 1 device can connect.

If you want to use VOIP on more than one mobile and a home connection all with the same number, Sipgate are excellent.

May be worth looking into a new router that supports VOIP too. I currently have a Draytek. It's great but very complex and fiddly (really a business device). An easier option would be a Fritz!Box, much simpler, but the traffic prioritisation isn't as flexible.

For your mobile calls, your existing provider may have a box that will plug into your broadband. I have an O2 Boostbox which gives a 3G signal.
Post #895060 31st Mar 2021 10:53am
jonny

One question to ask this new provider is what infrastructure they are using - most ISPs use BTs (now Openreach) infrastructure between you and them, so if BT can only provide you with 10/1, then it's highly likely that any other provider on BTs infra won't be able to do much better.

If they are using a different infrastructure, eg. one of the fibre broadband projects currently digging up everywhere rural - gigaclear / truespeed or broadband via wifi then this won't apply...

We use vonage and sipgate for VOIP phones - both have boxes you plug into your router then you plug your normal phone into that. Sipgate are cheaper as it's similar to PAYG where you load it up with credit, vonage you pay a monthly subscription.
Post #895062 31st Mar 2021 11:01am
walfy

The company is local called FIBREWAY, truespeed are digging up the world near us, well in the main village, but because we are about a mile from the village we can't join in. We have to wait until the next batch of cable is laid.
The system isn't fibre based. There is a farm about 1km from us with a big internet thingy there and you then get a dish on your house and get your internet that way. They guarantee the speeds rather than just saying a range.
The numbers speak for themselves our current numbers are down/up 10/1. They are offering either 50/20 or 100/10 for £10 a month less than BT are charging.

https://fibreway.co.uk/ 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #895089 31st Mar 2021 1:16pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I moved away from a fibre to the cabinet landline around 14 months ago to a fixed wireless broadband ISP.
Due to our distance from the BT cabinet, the best we ever saw was circa 22 on the download side.
Best thing we ever did.
Originally I signed up to a 50/20 service, but a couple of months ago they offered a free upgrade to 100/25.
Whenever I check the speeds, they are delivering what they say they will and the ping is always less than 20ms.

Prior to cutting links with BT/Plusnet I opened an account with Localphone and put in a request to port in our BT landline number to them. It all went smoothly and I now pay £0.75 per month to have our incoming ex-BT landline number supported by Localphone.
It connects via VOIP and allows us to receive any inbound calls on the old number.
We use our mobiles for any outbound calls as we have unlimited call contracts, so don't need to dial out on the landline.

We are now receiving so few landline inbound calls, that I may cancel the old landline number.

Last edited by lohr500 on 1st Apr 2021 11:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #895173 31st Mar 2021 7:55pm
walfy

Thanks for all the advice, the only reason for a "landline" number is because the MiL likes to call and where we live our mobile reception isn't the best. I know I could change provider but they suit our needs everywhere else. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #895312 1st Apr 2021 11:30am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Other than the £0.75 per month for supporting the incoming ex BT landline phone number, Localphone don't charge anything to use their service. Only if you make calls over their VOIP service. And the call charges aren't crazy either.
So your MIL could still call you on your old landline number which would be routed via Localphone. If you miss a call, you also get free email notification including an email containing any voicemail messages left.
For a small charge they can also forward any inbound calls on the old landline number to our mobiles. I didn't bother with this because we get so few landline calls now anyway, and most of those are junk callers.

To use VOIP telephony you either need to buy a VOIP compatible phone or you can use something like a Cisco PAP2T box which connects to your router via an ethernet cable and has another socket which connects to a traditional phone. As I had a perfectly good three station cordless DECT phone set up at home, I went with the PAP2T box. If I recall rightly though I had to change the cord on the phone because the BT standard wiring is configured differently from the US.

By doing the above I was able to drop the landline rental completely and just use the wireless internet service to cover internet and telephone, retaining our old BT 01535 ****** number.
Post #895404 1st Apr 2021 5:42pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
i have a number of internet phones in the garage not sure what nick there in was going to take them to car boot when they reopen you want me to send you a picture
Post #896005 5th Apr 2021 2:40pm
Defenderdredd

England 1992 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Maybe have a look at Elon's Starlink as they are rolling out beta trials in the UK I believe: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021...he-uk.html
Post #896075 5th Apr 2021 9:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1