↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Penman
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
G.I. Joe Army Stores - 100 miles away. I had a good chat with them, the pics were comprehensive and I agreed a price I would pay if what they had told me and the pics they sent were accurate when I viewed. That way I was happy to travel and they were happy to reserve it for me. All was as they said. This was the best one they had so not the cheapest but I think a fair price and avoids the risk of buying unseen at an auction.
I did follow the brightwells auctions, and if fortunate you could end up with an equally good example at a lower price. However their is a risk you win the auction, turn up to tow it away, and find there is an issue and you are stuck 200 plus miles away from home. plus a 400mile round trip did not appeal either.
Post #862112 17th Oct 2020 3:14pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Re: Penman brake pads
JimmyP wrote:
Do any of you Penam owners know what brake pads are fitted to the Penman lightweight trailer? I’m doing an expedition conversion on one but having real trouble tracking down where to get pads from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Jim

They use citroen xantia calipers so I'd guess the pads were the same.

I bought a xantia pad retaining kit (springs and pins) and they fitted perfectly
Post #862191 18th Oct 2020 7:02am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Quote:
diesel_jim wrote :
They use citroen xantia calipers so I'd guess the pads were the same.

I bought a xantia pad retaining kit (springs and pins) and they fitted perfectly

That’s really handy to know.

If after a penman John at GI joe said he had a great condition penman but it did not have callipers and he could not find where to get a new set, If they are the exact same ones as the Citroen xantia, and the calliper element of the braking system is the only bit missing then you may be able to get a good price off him and then fit some scrap yard, referb or new callipers and save a fair bit of cash.

My only concern is i thought the callipers had a special valve on one of them that facilitated auto reverse. If that’s a separate component and it’s still there and the Citroen ones are correct then all may be well. But all that would need to be checked out first.
Post #862233 18th Oct 2020 11:04am
diesel_jim

The auto reverse valve is a separate unit that's activated by a "rocker" arm type thing..

This unit:

Click image to enlarge

See my thread on Expidition & overland <---
Post #862250 18th Oct 2020 12:29pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Are the calipers re-sealed to use DOT type brake fluid? As far as i recall the Xantias used LHM fluid and the seal materials are not cross compatible.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #862254 18th Oct 2020 1:21pm
diesel_jim

Dunno
Post #862283 18th Oct 2020 4:42pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Assuming the Penmans use normal brake fluid then? 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #862328 18th Oct 2020 8:24pm
under_rover

2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
I've just had a quick nosey at the maintainence schedule :- table 2 states OX8. Popped a pic up, plus spec from MOD lubrication data. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers
Laurie

90 rebuild thread - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62909.html
Post #862370 19th Oct 2020 7:59am
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Number plate
In response to the number plate query. I mounted the plate on the convoy light panel. Then simply wired that up to the side light circuit in the main loom. Seems fine. Probably sits a little too far in but is visible directly behind. (although not in this pic!) I also fitted a new military plate with the original number
not sure if plod will like that but lets see! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

. 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #862392 19th Oct 2020 10:20am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is illegal, I'm afraid, to have more than one numberplate or anything which resembles or could be mistaken for an additional numberplate.
Post #862418 19th Oct 2020 12:25pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Thanks vitesse, I spotted some pics of the plate fitted under the rear on the convoy light panel, but I do suspect it’s not compliant with the rules, although it could be a tight call. A pity we can’t use the military style plate as that just looks right. So I think I will make a backing plate that allows me to fit centrally under the number plate light but then slide to the right and out of the way of the tail gate when I want to open or close it.

On the brake fluid question. Having a read it looks like DOT4 will be ok. Have I got that right ?
Post #862422 19th Oct 2020 12:34pm
Vitesse

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Yes Dot 4 compatible Thumbs Up 2015 90 XS Santorini Black
Post #862689 20th Oct 2020 8:56pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
Hi all, a couple of questions that I just know you have the answers to Very Happy

Pintile arrangement.
Seriesonenut , after following Blackwolf’s suggestion re inverting the slider and then rotating pintile 180 degrees were you able to couple the trailer with the spare wheel on, or did it require spare wheel removal ?

I’ve ordered one of these. https://foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=p...uct_id=352 .
Designed for mounting larger diameter wheel/ tyre combinations it raises the wheel by 2 inches so hopefully will mitigate raising the pintile hight and may help those with pintiles directly connected to the crossmember who also have a rear mounted wheel. Will reduce view through rear screen but that’s minimal already. Once fitted I will post my findings

As an update. I fitted the foundry4x4 wheel carrier and with my 265/75 x 16 wheel and tyre combination fitted there is plenty of room to have the pintle at its absolute maximum height and still be able to couple a trailer with the spare wheel in place. Given the extra clearance I’m sure you could still do it with a 255/85 x16 wheel and tyre combination as well.
Post #895662 2nd Apr 2021 10:18pm
jedIKnight

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 2.5 TD DCPU Bonatti Grey
NATO Hitch & Penman

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I managed to put the NATO Hitch on the top and if using the ball hitch just swap them about so that the force is straight through to the rear cross member.

The defender has 35” tyres and its had a 2’ heavy duty lift so the trailer is only slightly bow down. With the trailer going to be converted to an exped pod it should sit nicely with enough clearance at the top front of the pod with the rear of the defender.
Post #952329 11th May 2022 10:05pm
diesel_jim

I'd want some bracing bars at the bottom of that DB adjustable receiver going back to the chassis... that's a lot of leverage if you were using the 50mm ball on the bottom pin.
Post #952396 12th May 2022 5:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>