↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Trip to Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Oh, Naks is at it again. Rolling Eyes

Lovely video. Still jealous. One of our neighbours lets his dog take himself for a walk, I'll film him next time. Closest thing we have of a four legged predator wandering and marking. He's a positively terrifying cocker spaniel. Proper alpha predator. Whistle

Was hoping to come for the Lions (pardon the pun) tour, is Sabi Sabi a nice reserve for when Mrs Grenadier and I eventually make it out. Seems to have everything. And being close to Stellenbosch, good for some wine tasting? Also I'm led to believe there are a couple of mountain reserves nearby as well. Jonkershoek and Simonsberg. As a fan of the mountains, they'd be of interest, are they worth it?

Anyway, more immediately and a little OT, back to this summer: bring on the Boks. Half your squad seem to be playing in the Premiership so we should have dumbed down their skills. Although Faff is still looking lethal. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #895031 31st Mar 2021 7:10am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Err, Grenadier, I think you should spend a bit more time on Google Maps: Sabi Sabi is nowhere close to Stellenbosch, it is 1900km away. You can drive that in two days if you push it, but definitely three days' drive if you're in a Defender Rolling with laughter

Yes, it is an amazing lodge, but very $$$$$ as well, and there are other lodges with better bang for buck that will offer same/similar experience.

But if you want to see leopards, a lodge in Sabi Sands Game Reserve is definitely recommended - this was the first time that we have seen a leopard in daylight. Exclamation

If you are wanting to come to ZA, I would suggest that you fly to Joburg, and then spend 5-10 days in the bush up north, and then fly down to Cape Town to come enjoy the Winelands and civilisation.

Jonkershoek is a nice nature reserve, but there are no animals there - people go there to hike, mountain bike, walk, etc.

There are plenty of 4x4 trails around though Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #895037 31st Mar 2021 8:20am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Ah, gotcha. I thought these were day trips you were undertaking. I'll look on Google Maps for some more info. Embarassed

$'s not a problem, quality is though, especially for a safari. And by quality I mean the variety and number of animals, not the accommodation. Although Mrs Grenadier is at the 4/5* end of the spectrum so would be aiming for something like that, whilst I'd be happily DIY in a Def/tented camp.

Given you're a local, I may PM you for some top tips when it comes to organising the trips. But a schedule much as you've described would be the plan. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #895048 31st Mar 2021 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12