↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > defender change maybe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
defender change maybe
Im pondering swapping my defender for a freelander ??? , or a Disco . both with more comfort . If i were to do this crazy act ,
What be the best disco or freelander , I dont mean the latest models but older worthy able motors . ie disco 2 over a 1 .
Post #891905 16th Mar 2021 7:15pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Disco 4 Landmark Edition works for me.... Thumbs Up 2016 onward model if you can stretch to it

Have you considered a Merc G-Wagon Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT

Last edited by Leamreject on 16th Mar 2021 7:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #891909 16th Mar 2021 7:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
You are crazy Laughing

Seriously though, I really liked my old Discovery 2, basically still a utility vehicle underneath and mine was more or less trouble free in my 5year ownership.
They are also great value for money still but starting to slightly increase in value for decent late, high spec models I believe. I still ended up back in a Defender though Laughing

I know nothing about Freelanders to comment as they have no appeal to me.
Post #891911 16th Mar 2021 7:25pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
late low miles Freelander 2 if you can find one - one of the best cars LR ever made..... Thumbs Up
Post #891913 16th Mar 2021 7:27pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Leamreject wrote:
Disco 4 Landmark Edition works for me.... Thumbs Up 2016 onward model if you can stretch to it

Have you considered a Merc G-Wagon Whistle

G-wagon yes please , not enough pennies in my piggy bank
Post #891921 16th Mar 2021 7:54pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
My daughter (Bank of Dad financed...still waiting on the first instalment) has got a late model Freelander 2 HSE which she uses for personal transport, towing her horse box, commuting to work etc & its absolutely BRILLIANT...I would quite happily use one as my daily runner. Vastly underrated IMHO. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #891922 16th Mar 2021 7:57pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
Think the only no so crazy option is a freelander , a bit my comfort and more than able to do the off-roading i do , ie drive into a field , nice smooth flat field that is , no mud , cant get it dirty underneath this weather .

But looking there's some carp out there is it worth the agro , i don't want to start back at square one after spending a fortune in time and money on my van , only to spend what ive got back from selling the van .

my idea been get something cheaper and put some cash back in my empty wallet . But then i would be bored not having something to tinker with .
Post #891926 16th Mar 2021 8:03pm
Bongo1

United Kingdom 
FREELANDER 2 appears to be winner the votes
Post #891927 16th Mar 2021 8:05pm
lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Orkney Grey
We have a FL2 2013 SD4 XS as well as a 2013 Defender 90 SW. The FL2 is decent for light off road and magnificent in snow,
ground clearance and lack of low range limit it. It is refined for longer journeys and can carry a full family and all the gear. It is amazingly well equipped with leather, heated front and rear screens, heated seats , sat nav and great sound system. You need to service the Haldex system every 20000 miles despite what LR say and keep fingers crossed 're the rear diff but later cars dont appear to have the same weakness as earlier ones. On a trip it does 36 mpg.
FL2 is heavy on electrics and sensitive to a low battery as fault codes pop up and things stop working so recommend new battery every 5 years at most. Halogen headlights from 2013 on ( models which have LED drls) are very poor as they only have a single HB3 bulb. Try to find one with HID Xenon ( HSE Lux or Metropolis ) or do an upgrade.

Hasn't got the same presence and character as the Defender , but a worthy addition. Would recommend.
Hope this helps Smile
Post #892064 17th Mar 2021 11:56am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
I have a 2014 Freelander 2 as my daily at the moment, is a good car and does most things well. Is comfy on a long drive, good enough on fuel and is quick enough on the road. Have never had it off road so can’t comment on that. The big downside for me is that It doesn’t have a big enough towing capacity. And as much as it does most things well, it is a really boring car.

Inside it’s comfy seats and has all the gadgets, but it’s nowhere near the RRS I had previously, you can tell it’s a much cheaper car.

As much as the FL2 is a good car, I wouldn’t buy another one as it’s just a bit too boring for my liking. If I was buying now I’d be looking at a late d4, a d5 or RRS again.
Post #892067 17th Mar 2021 12:08pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I understand exactly what you are saying jimbo55.

We replaced our troublesome D3 with a top spec Freelander 2 HSE Auto some years ago.
It was 100% reliable, coped well with towing our family caravan and performed well in the snow.

However it just didn't have that undefinable Land Rover magic and I never really warmed to it. My wife said the same as well. It was her daily drive. A really boring car is a good description.

If I had to swap a Defender for a Disco or a Freelander, my heart would say Disco every time. But my head would tell me that the potential cost of D3/D4 ownership can be eye wateringly expensive and that would put me off buying another one. Perhaps D4 is more reliable than D3, but both are very complicated and can be very expensive to sort out if things go wrong.
Post #892075 17th Mar 2021 12:56pm
Slideywindows

England 
I have a friend who works on Land Rovers of all ages, and sees all the problems first hand.

He doesn't have a bad word to say about the Freelander 2.

Never mind it may be boring, but how often do you hear anybody really praise a modern LR model for its reliability?

Sometimes, all the problems with your Defender stop being fun.....
Post #892149 17th Mar 2021 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1