↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Windscreen to roof seal(s)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bingo

Russia 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Santorini Black
Windscreen to roof seal(s)
Hello, friends!

In the process of restoring my Defender, I had a question - how many seals should be installed between the windshield frame and the roof?

In the diagrams, I see two options.

First diagram:

Click image to enlarge

In this picture, we see two seals. One (Number 2 on the diagram) is rubber, which is inserted into a groove located in the front of the roof. The sealer is like this:

And the second (Number 3 on the diagram) seal made of porous rubber:

Click image to enlarge

Where it is attached, I do not understand...

Second diagram:

In this picture, we see only one sealer (Number 2 in this and the previous diagrams).

So, the question is - how many seals should there be between the windshield frame and the roof and where is the seal made of porous rubber attached?

Thank you in advance! “A word of command has made these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends. At some table a document is signed by some persons whom none of us knows, and then for years together that very crime on which formerly the world’s condemnation and severest penalty fall, becomes our highest aim.”
— Erich Maria Remarque
Post #890379 10th Mar 2021 9:24am
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
I bunged mine down with the closed cell foam strip and tigersealed it. unconventional but worked really well.
Post #890438 10th Mar 2021 12:28pm
Marks Landy

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Java Black
I seem to remember mine had inner and outer seal.
Post #890569 10th Mar 2021 8:21pm
Bingo

windy81 wrote:
I bunged mine down with the closed cell foam strip and tigersealed it. unconventional but worked really well.

There are many options for modifying the seal, but I ordered the original ones and I wonder where the second one is installed (made of porous rubber)

Marks Landy wrote:
I seem to remember mine had inner and outer seal.

And where is the outer seal attached - along the leading edge of the windscreen frame? “A word of command has made these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends. At some table a document is signed by some persons whom none of us knows, and then for years together that very crime on which formerly the world’s condemnation and severest penalty fall, becomes our highest aim.”
— Erich Maria Remarque
Post #890659 11th Mar 2021 9:16am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
MTC6568 is stuck to the top of the windscreen frame using the self adhesive strip on the seal, it's position is variable depending on who fitted it in my experience. The photos in this listing should give you an indication: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...3511309192 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #890905 12th Mar 2021 9:55am
Bingo

Shroppy wrote:
MTC6568 is stuck to the top of the windscreen frame using the self adhesive strip on the seal, it's position is variable depending on who fitted it in my experience. The photos in this listing should give you an indication: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defe...3511309192

Thank you very much! Smile “A word of command has made these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends. At some table a document is signed by some persons whom none of us knows, and then for years together that very crime on which formerly the world’s condemnation and severest penalty fall, becomes our highest aim.”
— Erich Maria Remarque
Post #891630 15th Mar 2021 7:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1