↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Faults & Fixes (L663) > super annoying tinny rattle noise - upper dash shroud &
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
abpod

United States 
super annoying tinny rattle noise - upper dash shroud &
Hi all -

I have a super annoying tinny rattle noise that I've located in the upper dash bar. I've owned the vehicle since new and the noise has developed in less than 7 days of ownership.

I'll post the sound here for a little while and then might take it down. The noise sounds like chiklet gum rattling in the individual tins. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkSYEqdpcYT7gsUK_8hHphVaPFhoUA?e=tBDyPl

The picture shows what I have to do for the sound to stop. Hard to tell based on the picture but what I have to do is use my thumb to press where the black plastic dashboard shroud touches the threshold of the top bar (the khaki color bar thingy).
Unfortunately, once I take my hand off, it starts back up again. I also noticed that it usually does it when the sun hits the dash which means it's probably heat-related.

So... 1. Has anyone else's defender started doing this? 2. Any idea of a solution? I'm trying to avoid taking it to the dealership for warranty work because once you take apart things like the dashboard, it's never the same again. - I learned that lesson when my LR4 started developing noises - the dealership tried to find the source of the sound and simply made things worse (developed MORE noises). If I figure out a solution, I will post a response.

Click image to enlarge
 '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #889522 6th Mar 2021 9:00pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
I have seen this problem posted before but I can’t remember what the solution was. It wasn’t you that posted this problem in the ‘All New Defender Owners Group’ on Facebook was it?
Post #889536 6th Mar 2021 10:05pm
abpod

United States 
Nope, that was not me. Ok good at least I’m not the only one Smile '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #889567 7th Mar 2021 12:24am
abpod

United States 
This was fixed by my local dealership. They said I’m the first instance they’ve come across. They fixed it with felt tape. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #916542 11th Aug 2021 10:30pm
Spago80

Italy 
I have the same noise... Sad
Post #917127 15th Aug 2021 9:04pm
abpod

United States 
I know what it is. The adhesive bond between the instrumentation cluster upper shroud and the "handle bar" trim is failing. You might notice that if you actually squeeze the area where it is squeaking, the noise temporarily goes away (for like a few seconds). So I had the dealership NOT re-apply adhesive because I'm certain it would just fail again due to a very exact design flaw. Rather, I had them "fill the void" with felt tape. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #917128 15th Aug 2021 9:18pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
Good idea with the felt tape Thumbs Up
Post #917458 17th Aug 2021 8:18pm
Kingfisher24

England 
My whole cabin area is now creaking and rattling. It is diving me mad. £70,000 for a car that rattles and creaks more than my 1980 Fiesta. Seems to be from the door pillars, the sun roof and rear seats. It seems to get worse every time I drive it. It has done just over 3000 miles now. It is almost as if the whole car is dying out and nothing is tight anymore. My 80,000 mile D4 does not have any rattles! The Defender does not seem to be nearly as solid or well built as the Discovery 4.
Post #917491 17th Aug 2021 11:07pm
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
I am having the same issues, my 110 has been into my local dealer 6 times in 4 weeks. I collected it yesterday and noticed another rattle from the roof lining. I have rejected my 110 and LR have accepted my rejection, yesterday was their last chance to fix several other faults, but my local dealer is useless and they haven’t fixed most of the faults, the worst fault is the blind spot doesn’t work on the near side, they said they had adjusted the sensor but it still only randomly picks up vehicles.
Post #917500 18th Aug 2021 6:57am
Kingfisher24

England 
Apart from the ever increasing rattles mine also keeps putting the brakes on and displaying a collision warning for no reason! The emergency lane assist keeps trying to correct me on narrow lanes. It seems as though they are a fantastic looking car with lots of technology but too clever and far too lightly built. I feel as though I have to be careful with it all the time. This is not what I want from a Land Rover. The rear spare wheel and tow bar are totally impractical. The wheel is too low and in the way when hitching on and off, particularly with trailers with hitches that have to be held unlocked to hitch on. Oh and the wheel arch protectors are badly stuck on.
Post #917503 18th Aug 2021 7:27am
Dazrob

United Kingdom 
The random steering is scary, I have read lots of people having this issue. It happens to me on roads that have no road markings or in the outside lane of a dual carriageway with no lane markings on the right. The speed limiter with sign recognition is bad, my car misreads the speed limit and can go to 30 in a 50 zone. On paper the technology is brilliant but LR haven’t got the ability to get it working as it should. If your within 30 days of purchase reject it, they didn’t put up a fight and they agreed to it within 3 hours. Now the task of finding a replacement begins!
Post #917505 18th Aug 2021 7:53am
Kingfisher24

England 
Sadly it was one of the first XS and I got it at the beginning of July. You are right about lane assist. You can turn off emergency lane assist via the menus but it resets each journey.
Post #917506 18th Aug 2021 8:04am
abpod

United States 
Hi all - I like the commentary because I too am experiencing a lot of your first-hand observations. My vehicle squeaked/creaked etc since Day 1 (15 miles on the ODO). It definitely has gotten worse. I'm at 2300 miles now and it just seems like there is a lot of "flexing" when going over uneven surfaces like a speed hump or something as simple as backing into my driveway.

Couple areas I've noted so far: 1. The A-pillar (was fixed but get the occasional sand rattle). 2. The handlebar/dashboard. 3. The overhead handle grip has some sort of flexing going on above the handle in the area where it fastens to the liner. If I pull down on the handle (gently, of course), sound goes away for a little bit so something is going on here. 4. The door frames. 5. Overall flexing in the cabin, everywhere.

IMO it is not nearly as bad as my LR4 used to be and that also was brand new off the lot with 12 miles on it. Not to compare but I've had several BMWs in the past and those engineers have figured out how to compile materials that just do not make noise (at least in my instances). The two companies should knowledge-share. Separately and amusingly, about 5 years ago I stumbled upon a Land Rover notification .pdf outlining pre-delivery tasks to preemptively address squeaking areas which "could be perceived as quality issues".

I'm going to try a few things that I learned back when I had my LR4 - bought some expensive 3M stuff that helped. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #917766 19th Aug 2021 3:27pm
Kingfisher24

England 
Mine is at 4000 miles now. It is like driving under a plastic conservatory roof in the rain. Noise is mainly from both door pillars.
Post #918231 22nd Aug 2021 8:48pm
rcollins72

United States 
I had the exact same problem in the same location almost immediately. Because my dealer is several hours away, I fixed it myself. I used some felt tape and a small flat screwdriver to insert the tape into the void. So far, this has solved the problem.
Post #968450 20th Oct 2022 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>