↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > battery top-up / solar power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gongladosh

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arrow Red
battery top-up / solar power
Hi, can anyone recommend a good solar top-up system for the battery of my G-reg 90 please?

My battery had a habit of going flat very quickly so I've recently replaced it, but I've heard (some) good things about wiring in a solar panel to keep the battery topped-up. I'm looking for something I can detach without having to go into the battery box but also something that will cut charging to the battery when it needs to.

Does anyone know of something suitable and reliable on Amazon or similar?
Post #888612 2nd Mar 2021 12:47pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
As my Defender also do not get regular use, I made an easy way to keep the battery topped up, albeit not using a solar charger.
Since I already had a fuse box in the battery compartment for the rear working lights, I used a spare connection through the fuse box and routed a piece of wire with a 2 pin connection that I can connect a battery charger to.

Something very similar to what cteck have, but dim (do it myself).
Just an idea of the connector I use:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284197192...web201603_ 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #888613 2nd Mar 2021 1:02pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
I would put some effort into finding out what is discharging your battery before fitting a solar charger. There should be very little in a G reg 90 that draws power.
My 1994 TDI doesn't do many miles as I usually cycle to work and during the worst of the covid lockdown last summer it wasn't moving for months at a time. When I occasionally thought it might be a good idea to throw the trickle charger on during this period it would flick over to float charging in just a couple of minutes as the battery was already tip-top. The only dormant power draw is the radio memory and apparently that takes a fraction of f'all.
Post #888616 2nd Mar 2021 1:44pm
Gongladosh

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Arrow Red
Cheers guys.

What's the best way to track down a power drain?
Post #888860 3rd Mar 2021 7:57pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
I would recommend an auto electrician. On my first Defender (300tdi) I had a reoccurring flat battery issue that went on for some time, in the end I bit the bullet and got a professional to look at it and they diagnosed the problem very quickly.
It turned out to be an old tracker unit that was guilty, it had a back up battery of it's own that had long since expired and was constantly draining the main battery.

Hope you get it sorted.
Post #888873 3rd Mar 2021 9:02pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
I just use one of these, it’s the size of an iPad, £11 off eBay and just works..... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #888878 3rd Mar 2021 9:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Gongladosh wrote:
Cheers guys.

Disconnect one of the battery terminals and put an ammeter between the battery post and the terminal - a normal multimeter on the 10 amp range is all you need, though it can be a faff to set it up so you can go off and do other things. One option is to do it on the battery negative and use a couple of hose clips to clamp the multimeter probes onto the battery post and the negative terminal.

You'll see if there is a measurable drain. On a vehicle with an alarm/clock etc this is usually of the order of 20ma (0.02 amps). On an older vehicle with no 'sleeping electronics' it could be down to effectively zero. Persistent problems with flat batteries usually result from a drain of 0.1-0.5 amps or more, which is easy to identify. If there is a drain, go through the fuse box and pull the fuses one by one until the drain disappears.

When that happens you know what is sucking the juice so work through that circuit and/or replace whatever is on the end of it. If it doesn't disappear after all the fuses have been pulled, it's something that isn't fused, and the most likely culprit in that case would be the alternator, or something else (like the tracker mentioned in an earlier post) which may be connected directly to the battery. A dud alternator regulator can often suck a couple of amps which is more than enough to flatten a battery in a day or two.

Remember to disconnect the ammeter before you turn the ignition or any high-load things on otherwise you will hear a pop and quite possibly need a new ammeter. No prizes for guessing how I know that.

A solar panel as shown above is a good solution. My father uses them in a couple of vehicles. Just be aware that on some vehicles the cigarette lighter socket is switched with the ignition, which means the ones that plug in there don't work with the ignition off. Depends on the vehicle. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #889409 6th Mar 2021 12:01pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
I bought one from Aldi's in one of their specials - I fit it under the sunroof (Vitara) between galss and cover.

The wire runs out and I tapped it to the Overhead Light

The Aldi one says - disconnect before driving - but its been hard wired last 3 years with no issue.
Post #889410 6th Mar 2021 12:39pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I used a cheap solar charger and it cooked my battery. You need to make sure your charger won't do the same.
Post #889533 6th Mar 2021 9:50pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
BogMonster wrote:
Gongladosh wrote:
Cheers guys.

Disconnect one of the battery terminals and put an ammeter between the battery post and the terminal - a normal multimeter on the 10 amp range is all you need, though it can be a faff to set it up so you can go off and do other things. One option is to do it on the battery negative and use a couple of hose clips to clamp the multimeter probes onto the battery post and the negative terminal.

You'll see if there is a measurable drain. On a vehicle with an alarm/clock etc this is usually of the order of 20ma (0.02 amps). On an older vehicle with no 'sleeping electronics' it could be down to effectively zero. Persistent problems with flat batteries usually result from a drain of 0.1-0.5 amps or more, which is easy to identify. If there is a drain, go through the fuse box and pull the fuses one by one until the drain disappears.

When that happens you know what is sucking the juice so work through that circuit and/or replace whatever is on the end of it. If it doesn't disappear after all the fuses have been pulled, it's something that isn't fused, and the most likely culprit in that case would be the alternator, or something else (like the tracker mentioned in an earlier post) which may be connected directly to the battery. A dud alternator regulator can often suck a couple of amps which is more than enough to flatten a battery in a day or two.

Remember to disconnect the ammeter before you turn the ignition or any high-load things on otherwise you will hear a pop and quite possibly need a new ammeter. No prizes for guessing how I know that.

A solar panel as shown above is a good solution. My father uses them in a couple of vehicles. Just be aware that on some vehicles the cigarette lighter socket is switched with the ignition, which means the ones that plug in there don't work with the ignition off. Depends on the vehicle.

^^^^This advice is spot on and exactly how I have traced such faults myself in the past (but without blowing up my multimeter Rolling Eyes )

Funnily enough, like another poster above, the vehicle that I really had a bad problem with was my old Jeep Cherokee that turned out it had some kind of commercial vehicle tracking device fitted from the first company owners. Fine if the vehicle was used regularly but would flatten the battery in 7-10 days.

Like ^^he said, idle standing current drain should be 15-20mA or less. Doing the maths suggests a 15mA draw will flatten a fully charged 70Ah battery in around 195 days or approx 6 months! That should be long enough for most of us.
Post #889548 6th Mar 2021 10:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1