↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Is the Expedition Roof Rack noisy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
You’re right though. Once it’s on - unless you have a ceiling-mounted hoist in your garage and plenty of storage space, it’s pretty much staying up there.

Liveability: put it this way - at no point will I consider taking mine off. Makes a bit of noise, probably increases fuel consumption a bit...

... but it looks the BOMB in my opinion and I use it surprisingly frequently (by which I mean more than twice a year!).

Very pleased with it (the additional ladder is a work of engineering art) and, along with the many other things I’ve bolted to it that aren’t really necessary, it complements what the Defender stands for perfectly. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #860518 8th Oct 2020 7:56pm
shawnpalmer

United States 1997 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Auto Arles Blue

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, just in case someone finds this thread and wants some other info, you can buy 3/8 in. stainless carriage bolts that will slide in the tracks on the rack. One just needs to grind the head down a tiny bit. This is how Lucky8 mounts all of their Trek equipment on the Trek trucks.
Post #860563 9th Oct 2020 5:10am
abpod

United States 
No discernible noise
So I test drove a fully loaded HSE 20 model with the rack and snorkel. After going over the obstacle course, I took it on a 10 mile loop including ending on a 75 mph freeway. Stereo was off.

It took the sales rep to say “notice how there’s no wind noise from the rack?” I couldn’t hear any wind noise at all! It was amazing

which makes me wonder what conditions reproduce the noise as I’ve read negative feedback from a lot ofcar review sites (motortrend, caranddriver, etc).
Post #866096 8th Nov 2020 5:11pm
Florida Rover

United States 
shawnpalmer wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Also, just in case someone finds this thread and wants some other info, you can buy 3/8 in. stainless carriage bolts that will slide in the tracks on the rack. One just needs to grind the head down a tiny bit. This is how Lucky8 mounts all of their Trek equipment on the Trek trucks.

Thanks Shawn! Any info on the Lucky8 setup for mounting the spare tire on the roof rack? Thanks
Post #866125 8th Nov 2020 6:51pm
shawnpalmer

United States 1997 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Auto Arles Blue
If you email Lucky8 or call them they will sell you any of the Trek kit that you want.
Post #866200 9th Nov 2020 3:28am
GreenMonster

United States 
I’m wondering how the frontrunner short or long racks compare in noise to the LR rack. Will likely need a rack at some point, and don’t really like the way the LR rack stands up so high, so hoping the frontrunner is less noisy, or that arb comes out with theirs as another choice. Anyone driven at highway speeds with the frontrunner?
Post #871888 8th Dec 2020 2:52am
zilch

Australia 
generally i do not find the expedition rack noisy even at highway/motorway speeds, and we also have
the RAI, side steps and ladder fitted. The only time i have noticed excessive noise is going through
area's that are susceptible to cross winds, which lucky for me is not that common in terms of our regular
drives

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #872064 9th Dec 2020 3:59am
Chioti

United States 
A strange question. Can the aero bars themselves be removed 1 at a time? I ask because I’m thinking for me it may be easier to leave it on all the time but remove the first few bars in order to enjoy the full opening of the fabric roof.

shawnpalmer wrote:
Sorry, it’s 12 nuts total,6 per side. 6 T Plates securing it with 2 bolts each. You take off the 12 nuts securing the rack to the slide in plates and then lift the rack straight up. Set the rack off to the side and then slide the plates out through the slots in the rails. Very easy with help to lift it off.

I’ve had mine on and off a few times.
 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE, Eiger Gray, Black Folding Fabric Roof
Post #888353 28th Feb 2021 10:11pm
JackW

United States 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Coniston Green
My roof rack is pretty noisy between 50-60 mph. I don't have a sunroof if that makes any difference. I was wondering if a small adjustment forward or backwards would make a difference?

The leading edge of my rack is a little over an inch behind the panel line in the roof.
Post #888748 3rd Mar 2021 2:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12