↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > low coolant temp/ heat problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
NineCherries

Scotland 2000 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Oslo Blue
I'm at a loss, still the same.

I took the viscous fan off and tested it the best i could after watching an interesting video from britannica restorations. On the bench the fan is stiff to turn at first but i does ease up as it should if i keep turning it. So i marked the spring with a sharpie and warmed it with a heat gun and it moves, cooled it with compressed air and it moves back so i'm assuming its doing what it should on the inside. I've taken my usual commute this morning and tbh the temp still seemed a bit low and dropped when i was driving in a 30 zone so i'm fairly sure its nothing to do with the viscous fan.

I'm tempted to try a makeshift radiator muff, but I realise that wont make any difference to what happens when its idling.

Windy81 gauge and the sender are the same ones that have been fitted to the car since i bought it, I've not touched either of them, but its handy to know there are incompatible senders.

Anyway I'll get then fan refitted as i don't think its causing any issues.

thanks for the input folks, any other suggestions let me know.

Tony
Post #880940 26th Jan 2021 9:23am
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Don’t forget the gauge is linked to the sender by the ecu on a Td5. So the gauge is told what to do by the ecu based on the sender signal.

My Td5 takes a good 10 mins before the gauge starts to move and you feel any warmth, that’s with the fan off, although it doesn’t make a great deal of difference.

You can jam the fan hub with a screwdriver if you are careful, and fan is normal thread, so unscrews anti clockwise as you will know by now!

They do cool down quickly though, so I would say that any change you have is a mystery! Another quirk of Land Rover ownnership maybe?
Post #880948 26th Jan 2021 9:40am
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

fan hub spanner

16mm holes x2
Post #880972 26th Jan 2021 10:57am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Have never stripped down a TD5 oil cooler to look at it in detail but I assume it has an oil thermostat integrated within it. I have had very similar symptoms with a 2.2tdci engine (not in a Defender) where the oil cooler thermostat had failed and resulted in the oil being overcooled and symptoms you describe. I wonder if this could be a similar issue?

My own Td5 does take a long time to warm up, especially if you ask too much of the heater before it is warmed up, but I have never noticed the temperature dropping again once upto temperature,

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #881003 26th Jan 2021 12:18pm
NineCherries

dorsetsmith - thanks, I had cobbled together a rough tool to get the c=fan off but your diagram is much better (although mine did work) ill keep this on saved on the computer and make a better one at some point.

rallysteve i'm not sure how i can check that but any ideas to look into are gratefully recieved.

Well that's the fan back on and new cowling dzus fasteners fitted.
coolant is bang on the level and not leaking out.
I've been offered access to a diagnostic computer(not nanocom unfortunately) so ill be interested to see what the coolant sensor is reading ( i think it is ok as when the temp needle drops so does the heater air temperature. )

Thanks again for all of your input.

Tony
Post #881534 28th Jan 2021 1:13pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Interestingly, mine has started exhibiting the same behaviour since I removed the under engine cover when I replaced the lower crank pulley several weeks ago.

I think Ill put it back on this weekend and see if it makes any difference. Right now though I have just been leaving the Thermotop C running until the gauge reaches mid range since we have been at -17 C the last few days.

Patrick
Post #881666 29th Jan 2021 3:39am
NineCherries

Just an update,

From what i can see, it looks like there is nothing wrong Embarassed Now that the ambient outside temperature has warmed considerably the engine temperature isn't dropping like it did a few weeks ago and the issue has disappeared. I am still considering a radiator blankets for next winter.

To resolve the secondary issue of very little heat within the cabin of my 110 I fitted a diesel fueled heater. that has made the car much more civilized and much easier to live with over the cold snap. What a difference it has made with defrosting the car, being comfortable, and drying out the car in general. I fitted it between the driver and passenger seats and intend to make a new version of the center cubby box so it isn't too tall, still gives me a useful storage compartment, be easy to remove so any maintenance to the car/heater is easy, to hide the heater and give me somewhere to mount the adjustable air-vents I've bought to allow the hot air to be available to the rear passengers as well as the front, I'll post a new thread about that at a later date.

Anyway thank you to everyone who took time to read and reply.
Post #887425 24th Feb 2021 9:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12