↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > IW top on a DC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Wow, thanks for the replies fellas! Blackwolf, thanks mate....exactly what I was looking for. Looks a top truck Thumbs Up Also got a Sonic wheel carrier on there aswell I see (I'm looking for one of them aswell! - I'll find the money for one somehow if one crops up for sale!). I transport my dog a fair bit in the back too, so the coolness in 'summer' is also a helpful point.

Thing is, I appreciate the other advise guys, thanks, (esp Willy again, thanks bud) but money is not forthcoming at the moment (as I've said in other posts - house saving going on), and there are/have been a few IW tops for sale for really little money (as in sub £50-60). A few have been 90 tops cut, down, but I dont see that as a problem really, if its done ok.

I'm quite taken with the Patriot cage, except for the cost, but I understand quality costs. Knot Yet, do you know if the door to the security cage/tilt has to be hinged from the side, or is/was there an option to have it hinged from the top?

I've got a metal guy near me having a look at what he can do with mesh/clips/additional tubing for me to make my own version up, but I fear even that will be more than I want to spend......talk about tight, eh! Rolling with laughter

Cheers chaps!
Thumbs Up Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #88238 8th Sep 2011 4:48pm
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Hi MuddyMark - this thread will help answer all your questions: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5421.h...triot+cage

When I asked I was told they hinge from the side - good luck in whatever you choose Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #88240 8th Sep 2011 4:53pm
MuddyMarky

Thanks buddy, I'd seen that thread before (pretty much the only place I've ever seen one of those cages!)..... it's really the cost stopping me from going for one of these. Maybe later on Smile Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #88241 8th Sep 2011 4:57pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
You could hinge it from the top - I don't see why they couldn't do that as part of the build if you were ordering new.

To be honest they are a lot of money for what they are - I feel sure you get the same sort of thing made up by a local fabricator for a lot less - you only need the panels as the hood sticks are the original items. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #88246 8th Sep 2011 5:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
GREENI wrote:
If it HAS to be an IW....I'd paint it black !

One advantage of the unpainted IW top is that it stays remarkably cool in the back even on the one day of summer we get each year, which is ideal if you have to carry animals in the back. To me that is actually a more important consideration than the aesthetics!

My truck is a working truck rather than a plaything and to an extent the appearance is immaterial, but tbh I quite like the look now even though I fully accept it is not everyone's cup of tea. It was a bit too bright and shiny when new though. Personally I much prefer the look of the IW canopy to the ultra-expensive body-coloured square plastic monstrosities.

Beauty is purely in the eye of the beholder though and I am sure that there are plenty of others who love the ones I think are hideous and think that mine is equally hideous.

Thumbs Up

[As much as I dislike replying with just a smiley I'll make an exception this time] Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #88248 8th Sep 2011 5:26pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Good reply, something I'd never of thought of Sheep ...the only animal I have is the obligatory Land Rover resident spider Snigger
Post #88250 8th Sep 2011 5:45pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
As said before a 90 one won't fit, but one from a short wheel base series will. The Tub size is the same as an 88. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #88317 9th Sep 2011 10:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
GREENI wrote:
Good reply, something I'd never of thought of Sheep ...the only animal I have is the obligatory Land Rover resident spider Snigger

My spider moved into the cab and has now invited his extended family to join him as well.
Post #88351 9th Sep 2011 6:44pm
MuddyMarky

Right, eBay auction won for an IW top......its a 90 cut down to fit (£52) but the fella seemed genuine enough, and the pic of it was fitted to a Puma DC. Collecting Monday lunchtime, then just need to order a solid (with small window) rear door for it.

Thanks for the help chaps Thumbs Up [/i] Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #88364 9th Sep 2011 9:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MuddyMarky wrote:
Right, eBay auction won for an IW top......its a 90 cut down to fit (£52) but the fella seemed genuine enough, and the pic of it was fitted to a Puma DC. Collecting Monday lunchtime, then just need to order a solid (with small window) rear door for it.

Thanks for the help chaps Thumbs Up [/i]

Be prepared for a nasty shock when you find out the price of the rear flap! Big Cry

I bought a 90 top off fleabay (for about £25 IIRC) that turned out to be in unexpectedly good condition although the rubber seals were a bit past their sell-by date. It had a mesh rear flap, whereas I really wanted a solid one with no window. Never mind, I thought, I'll order up a new flap then set about the top with the tin snips.

So I trotted round to the local IW dealer only to be quoted about £200 for the solid flap, which was about half the price of a new genuine DC top. Shocked

In a rare flash of genius, I asked if they would px the 90 top against a new DC top, and they offered me £200 in part exchange. Very Happy

I ended up buying a brand new DC top with the flap I wanted for only £50 more than the flap on its own would have cost. Thumbs Up

If you have the meshgate, you may want to consider pop-rivetting a sheet of aluminium on the outside of it, profiled to the outside of the canopy, and buying a length of rubber seal. The IW flap frame appears to be the same whichever flap you have, and this will be lots cheaper than buying genuine.
Post #88378 9th Sep 2011 10:36pm
MuddyMarky

I know mate, I'd already contacted them! £192 inc VAT for the new rear flap/door with a small window. But then a new 110DC canopy with window is £540 inc VAT. I might ask the question, but it's a 90 canopy thats been cut down, so a dealer probably wouldn't be interested.

I'm not too worried though, I'll collect it tomorrow and see what I do from there.

Thumbs Up Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #88604 11th Sep 2011 9:44pm
adafish

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Stornoway Grey
Our kid won a Truckman top on ebay that had no back door....99p, yep 99p..We know a chap that makes all the fibreglass body panels for Tomcat Motorsport. He made it possible for him to fit a full fibreglass back door on the back of his DC,after a few hrs in workshop with spraygun, he now has a smart Truckman top, in Zambezi Silver with a full door....total cost...£90 Putting Dreams on Drives at JLR Solihull..
Post #88642 12th Sep 2011 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12