↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My New Defender (L663) > Messing around in the boot...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Messing around in the boot...
I had a chance to have a rummage around the boot area of my 110 today. I had a couple of modifications and improvements to make, so took it all apart and took some pictures.

First modification was to improve the pull down flap on the rear mat to stop the dogs claws scratching the rear bumper. The original Land Rover supplied flap lasted a day! Dogs claws went through it and the press studs came out. Being married to an upholsterer has its benefits.
She made me a double skinned version in tough flexible vinyl material, edge stitched and fitted with heavy duty press studs. It’s also an inch wider and 4 inches deeper so it drops down further than the original.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Second mod was to add a bit of foam to the cover for the emergency triangle in the tailgate which was rattling. The original has 3 foam pads, but they don’t hit the surround so don’t cushion anything. I added a pad at each end, problem solved.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Then I lifted the foam out to see how much space. There is a fair bit but I would be careful what I put there. The 48v connections are covered with rubber caps, but if one came dislodged and metal touched it there may be sparks!!

Click image to enlarge

Then I fitted my Jetboil into the Jetboil holder that lives behind the square panel. Fits a treat. 👍 (If that doesn’t make DSL Derek buy one nothing will !!)

Click image to enlarge
 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #886151 17th Feb 2021 5:07pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Waiting until you’ve done the rear commercial storage mod. Whistle Whistle

Click image to enlarge

You know you want to. Thumbs Up

As an aside, can u measure the distance between tie down hoops, front to back? Developing a fiendish plan to fix an Engel in the back. Thumbs Up
Post #886153 17th Feb 2021 5:35pm
Gareth

I think you will struggle with an MT45. The space between tie downs front to back is 57.5 cms. Also, the front tie down is forward of the top edge of the back seat. The fridge would foul the to edge before it got to the front tie down.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #886167 17th Feb 2021 7:04pm
SN

Jetboil placement is a winner! Need to exercise mine soon to make sure it's ready for the job!

Also liking the flap mod on the loadspace mat! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #886173 17th Feb 2021 7:21pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
The Engel is 65cm long ISTR but was thinking of a wide T piece, the wider bit bolted into the holes the Engel “feet” fix into, the narrower part into where the tie down eyes fix. I could adjust the distance into the boot area so that I can store specific “stuff” besides the fridge.

I don’t even have one and I miss the sheer versatility of my D3 and D4 with the full length load deck. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

PS I could also make the bracket slightly offset so that the middle seat could still be up, basically taking the fridge right up to the rear door, prob without the handle. Thumbs Up
Post #886179 17th Feb 2021 8:11pm
Gareth

I thought you wanted a 90? In which case it will all be different. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #886185 17th Feb 2021 8:34pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Not really made my mind up, there’s pros and cons to either. With the 90 I’d look at whipping the pax seat out and fixing the Engel there. Advantage of a 110 is I can use it as a camper, as long as the drivers seat goes far enough forward. Thumbs Up
Post #886197 17th Feb 2021 8:55pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: Messing around in the boot...
Gareth wrote:
Second mod was to add a bit of foam to the cover for the emergency triangle in the tailgate which was rattling. The original has 3 foam pads, but they don’t hit the surround so don’t cushion anything. I added a pad at each end, problem solved.

Excellent fettling.

Anyone complaining of the same & having their vehicle in at the dealer's could ask them to obtain JLR-NSL1001/7 Felts & Foam Pack - Part of main AUTOMOTIVE SQUEAKS & RATTLES KIT JLR-NSL1001 and apply a similar fix under warranty?
Post #886272 18th Feb 2021 10:21am
expatbrit

United States 
DSL wrote:
Not really made my mind up, there’s pros and cons to either. With the 90 I’d look at whipping the pax seat out and fixing the Engel there. Advantage of a 110 is I can use it as a camper, as long as the drivers seat goes far enough forward. Thumbs Up

I sort of had this plan, but pretty sure I'm too tall for it. I almost bought a Transit just so I wouldn't have to worry, but it lacked the cachet of the Defender, not to mention driveability. D110 P300 (now here) -- Pangea Green / white roof / white steelies / Off-road pack / towing pack / cold-weather pack / heated seats and assorted fun odds and sods
Post #886338 18th Feb 2021 3:25pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
In days gone by I’d do an annual 6,000 mile road trip to the top of Norway and Finland in my D3, once in my D4, and often use the car to sleep in if I couldn’t be bothered pitching the tent. I’m 6ft and it was plenty long enough. Not sure about the 110 though. Confused

Click image to enlarge
Post #886342 18th Feb 2021 3:59pm
Gareth

The inside of my 110 with the rear seat folded flat, is 5’ 2”. However the seat bases get in the way, but are easily removed with 4x torx bolts. Then you have 6’ 2” to the rear of the front seat.
There would be a gap, but if you have bags stored there may not be an issue. You could gain more by moving seats forward.

Nowhere near as big as a D3/4, but the seats are feather weight compared to the mahoosively heavy items in the Disco. Yes they folded down flat but a huge weight penalty.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
Post #886345 18th Feb 2021 4:25pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
6ft 2 is the figure I needed Bow down Bow down I’d already clocked that the seat bases could easily be removed. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Plus extra length with the driver’s seat pulled fully forward. I’d use the clothes bag to extend the “bed” length, which would be changed to laundry bag as trip progressed. Head would deffo be at t’other end! Laughing
Post #886355 18th Feb 2021 5:01pm
expatbrit

United States 
DSL wrote:
In days gone by I’d do an annual 6,000 mile road trip to the top of Norway and Finland in my D3, once in my D4, and often use the car to sleep in if I couldn’t be bothered pitching the tent. I’m 6ft and it was plenty long enough. Not sure about the 110 though. Confused

Click image to enlarge

Nice. Yeah -- I'm a good bit taller than 6', unfortunately. Learned to curl up to sleep though.

Heck, my little sister is 6'4. Smile D110 P300 (now here) -- Pangea Green / white roof / white steelies / Off-road pack / towing pack / cold-weather pack / heated seats and assorted fun odds and sods
Post #886388 18th Feb 2021 7:50pm
jim4244

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
“Heck, my little sister is 6'4”

Hmmmm..... is she single? 🤔

Jim
Post #886392 18th Feb 2021 8:10pm
G&T

United Kingdom 
Gareth wrote:
The inside of my 110 with the rear seat folded flat, is 5’ 2”. However the seat bases get in the way, but are easily removed with 4x torx bolts. Then you have 6’ 2” to the rear of the front seat.
There would be a gap, but if you have bags stored there may not be an issue. You could gain more by moving seats forward.

Gareth, you’ve just been through the same exercise as me. In fact I took a 110 demo out and got in the back with my wife. Laughing

I’m 6’1” and measured enough room for me with the front seats forward and seat base out. I’d design a couple of storage boxes behind the first row seats to act as the increased bed base.

I really do want to sleep in the 110 if I can. If not it would be a 90 with a roof top tent, but that is less stealth.
Post #960924 7th Aug 2022 1:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1