↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 3.5vans and tacho’s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
west4x4

United Kingdom 
3.5vans and tacho’s
Hi guys tomorrow I’m taking out a new van with work (doing deliveries of building materials) now in the future I will be using the van with a trailer. I have B+E a digi tacho card and the van has a tacho fitted. Now as I’m not towing tomorrow I believe I won’t be under tacho rules but what do I set the tacho to? Out of scope? Someone else used it last week and of course the tacho complained he hadn’t inserted a card as well as over speed and hours violations. Just want to make sure I use it in the right mode.

A search here revealed a few threads with some knowledgeable people
Post #884560 10th Feb 2021 8:47pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
vans and and trailers and tachos are a nightmare with lots of conflicting advice. and trying to understand the output of the dvsa and dvla is an artwork.

if the van isnt within tacho rules then out of scope will stop it logging faults.

add a trailer and tacho and digi card and driver card etc etc

plus o liecense

as an aside if the tacho shows over speed when solo your local tacho center can alter he settings to suit.

i run a 5 ton sprinter camper spec van plus trl with tacho fitted for the days when im working it to stay legal.

dvsa aka vosa are having a right good purge on vans and plant trls this year plus the new 10 yr tyre rules....
Post #884569 10th Feb 2021 9:48pm
west4x4

United Kingdom 
Cheers yes as just a van it’s out of the regs. Wanted to check out of scope was the right setting for this running without trailer.
Post #884570 10th Feb 2021 9:56pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
dvsa have a facebook page which has dome links to vans and daily checks etc

who ever is downloading and analysing your tacho s and cards should be able to advise you correct settings depending on which tacho is fitted to your van.
Post #884578 10th Feb 2021 10:15pm
simonpuma90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Once you put your card in you are in drivers rules for two weeks
Post #884596 10th Feb 2021 11:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
spags

Scotland 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
As stated this is a minefield and different VOSA officers will have differing views / interpretations. Speak to your local office for clarification of points you have. Ensure you have officers name etc and keep a file. I have had many incidents with VOSA, Speed cameras and Traffic Police and find that being polite and confident works fine.

I have a 90 Defender and Freelander 2 and also tow behind a 4.2t motorhome but most of the business tugging is by a 3.5t Iveco Daily (210bhp) and I tow a variety of trailers. Not all vehicles can legally tow all of the trailers.
The trailer fleet is a:
750kg single axle Daxara 237 GP open top with additional covers
Ifor Williams BV 84 single axle with roof rack
2 exhibition units @ 2.7t boxes 6m long
3.5t Danish trolley box van
Ifor Williams CT 166 with mesh sides for garden / woodland waste but also converts to wehicle transporter.

I gave up my O license and now just carry the 'tools of my trade' ie what I need to do a job I may be contracted for. I won't take or carry items from a client as a favour as that would be hire or reward. I don't need a CPC as driving is not my main duty. My main responsibility is design and construction of exhibition stands and events.

Your employer should have an O (operators license) and an individual who is the transport manager. This can be a third party. Your employer may however fall into an exemption category. Check this out. It is your responsibility as the driver to ensure that you and the vehicle are working within the law. Daily vehicle checks, inspection sheets, fault reporting system etc. Both you and your employer can be prosecuted. A copy of the O license should be in the vehicle to produce for inspection if stopped by VOSA or police.

Assuming that you are employed as a delivery driver or driving is a duty that takes up the majority of your employent then you also require to hold a CPC.

If you start your week (this begins at mignight sunday) not towing but tow at any point during that week, even if only for a few minutes or hours, then you have to keep a record of 'work' for that whole week to account for your days driving and all other work days. Your local VOSA office may ask that this be a digital record as your card is digital. By going above 3.5t at any point then the drivers hours (working time directive) kicks in so you must adhere to the rules regarding drivers hours for work, breaks, rest and other duties. This is for a 2 week period even if you only drive for a few minutes with a trailer on. 50hr week, 90hr fortnight etc

Your speed will be restricted to 56 max when towing, not 60mph as allowed for caravans etc. A speed limiter should be fitted to the van. My Iveco has a variable limiter and cruise control but all my other vehicles only have cruise control.

Ensure you use your tacho card correctly and set machine to 'out' when not tugging. If you use the trailer only as required you need to use the card at the beginning of the work day (when towing) but set to out then should you attach the trailer then reset to pick up your new situation. Likewise if your day stars with the trailer on but you remove it at some point then reset to 'out' but keep the tacho recording with your card in. Always take a daily printout as this has to stay in the vehicle for 28 days. Write what your day has been on the reverse of the printout to explain your day and when you were towing or doing other work. Remember the digital tacho does not automatically change the drive, rest, work status. You have to use the buttom on the machine to alter the setting. I assume you are not operating with a second driver as 2 tacho cards makes things more complex.

You have to remember the system was brought in to mainly monitor long haul HGV's and regulate the working hours and the small van with trailer combo has been caught up at the fringes.

Even when not towing, so you are below 3.5t you are restricted to the number of hours you are allowed to work and drive per day and week. From memory I think that per day is 11 hours work of which no more than 10hrs can be driving and breaks must be taken.

Of course if you tow with a landrover this is classed as a DPV so no O license required but a tacho may be.

When you get pulled over you need to be able to produce the last 28 days records of work. VOSA will also download the tacho to analyse the vehicle use. My records confuse them as I mainly use the van solo then use trailers in a concentrated time over the summer months, am not a 'professional' driver and use the van for personal use at weekends. So long as you can explain the anomalies then the inspectors are usually okay.

Good luck with the towing, drive safe and think of the rig as if it were 44t and you will then give yourself plenty of space for manouvers etc.
Post #884622 11th Feb 2021 1:25am
west4x4

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys have plenty of towing and card experience from my previous job but that was with a discovery and only ever used with a trailer. As I said I knew it just couldn’t be ignored but wasn’t sure on the correct setting. Won’t be towing with it for a while as the trailer is on order. Work are used to o licenses and tach running as we have a 7 ton van that exclusively tows but requires a card even when not.
Post #885103 12th Feb 2021 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1