Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance Help Needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Nick999

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Insurance Help Needed
Hi all,
I’m insured with L&V and have rung them to make them aware I’ve just fitted a quick release steering hub to avoid the Defender getting nicked.

Previously I have told them about a re-map, high flow intercooler, led lights, body mods and tow bar. The insurance only went up a couple of quid. Great.

When told about the quick release hub they classed it as a steering modification and the price went up another £833 !!!

I’ve tried to argue some sense into them but they won’t have it.

Does anyone know a good insurance company that understands mods and doesn’t charge the earth?

Thanks.
Nick
Post #882978 3rd Feb 2021 6:25pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Wow, they could have recorded it as a security device, which would probably be more appropriate.

Would asking them to refer it to the insurance underwriter for a second opinion help, or have you tried this approach? Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #882983 3rd Feb 2021 6:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nick999

I did suggest that. No joy.
Post #882985 3rd Feb 2021 6:38pm
Leamreject

I know this is a long shot but it’s worked for me before, if you know the insurance company how would you feel about contacting them directly?

Explain the detail and bullet the pros and cons (for you and them)and hopefully they will be pragmatic and see that pros far outweigh....

Being a Land Rover I’m sure others on here have experienced similar and may be able to offer more.

Failing that get some alternative quotes to compare and if they are much cheaper tell them....

Hope this helps... Banging Head Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #882988 3rd Feb 2021 6:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nick999

Cheers mate, I wound up referring it to a manager but same.......‘Computer says no’ response.
I’m looking around for other insurers.
Post #882991 3rd Feb 2021 6:47pm
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
In all honesty I think it depends with who you deal with at the insurance company and how you word it, and that applies to any insurer.

I told my insurer I had a mono steering wheel on an optimil boss - which is technically correct but ....

Saying “quick release hub” to the insurer would bring up a lot more questions in my opinion regardless of the security benefit. A lot of the people in the call centres don’t really care what the outcome is when you ring up either

Also, be aware that if you go down the security route and you don’t use it and it gets stolen, that would be a good excuse for them not to pay out.
Post #882995 3rd Feb 2021 6:57pm
Nick999

Good advice. Thanks
Post #882997 3rd Feb 2021 6:59pm
Leamreject

jimbo55 wrote:
In all honesty I think it depends with who you deal with at the insurance company and how you word it, and that applies to any insurer.

I told my insurer I had a mono steering wheel on an optimil boss - which is technically correct but ....

Saying “quick release hub” to the insurer would bring up a lot more questions in my opinion regardless of the security benefit. A lot of the people in the call centres don’t really care what the outcome is when you ring up either

Also, be aware that if you go down the security route and you don’t use it and it gets stolen, that would be a good excuse for them not to pay out.

This is a good shout....

Another thing with insurance is that they may publish a list of acceptable mods that have no influence on premiums, try asking for it and see if a steering wheel in any form can be interpreted to be acceptable. Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #883001 3rd Feb 2021 7:06pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Call A-Plan at Thatcham.

They actually understand the words when you tell them about mods.
Post #883002 3rd Feb 2021 7:17pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Another Thumbs Up for A plan I am insured with them and have the removable steering wheel and I’m sure many others here do to. 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #883006 3rd Feb 2021 7:30pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
People with the optimal QR boss and new wheel will have some good insight into their insurance discussions but may not spot this post due to the title, how about a new post with a title that highlights this specific problem so they spot and respond.

Ie Help - Optimil QR boss and Steering wheel increases my insurance by £833! That will get people’s attention and hopefully assistance from those that have this setup. They may also be with LV and not had this issue, which may help with the LV discussions.

Ps a mail to the office of the LV CEO explaining the situation , that you are a good customer, this is not a performance or boy racer mod but a security enhancement etc may help getting past this fixed computer says no issue.

Just a thought

Ian
Post #883018 3rd Feb 2021 8:36pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Bloody hell that's crazy increase!!!
i do feel however that unfortunately defender modifications do catch the eye of insurers. Keeping standard seems the way forward however boring that is Crying or Very sad
Post #883219 4th Feb 2021 6:41pm
Herdwick

We notified NFU of fitting our removable steering wheel, just to make sure we were not found hiding any changes to the vehicle, the local office thought it was a fantastic idea, we got a new certificate through with the 'modification' added - no additional cost.
Post #883287 5th Feb 2021 6:55am
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
I'd be really wary about doing this modification with any mainstream insurer.

I had the same setup and when I told Tesco, they told me to either remove it or they'll cancel the policy within 7 days (not even the option to increase the premium).

So I had to take it to my local indie, get them to replace the steering wheel, make them charge me for half an hour of labour and then send Tesco a copy of the invoice proving it had been switched back professionally.

Needless to say, I did not renew with Tesco. Switched to A Plan and haven't looked back! Reminds me, I still need to refit it!

edit: and a photo of the old steering wheel back in position

Second edit: Tesco actually tried to increase the premium when I had a tracker fitted!! Laughing 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #883331 5th Feb 2021 10:25am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Sounds like they're looking for an excuse not to cover you!

As above I'd try forum sponsor A-Plan Thatcham office, I have a removable steering wheel and most the other mods you mention and they had no issues with any of them.

Insurance is a funny old thing! Confused James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #883339 5th Feb 2021 11:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>