↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What New Van To Get
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Scoobeenut

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
What New Van To Get
Okay so I'm thinking I will have to replace my own work van soon, currently using a Peugeot Expert standard height long wheelbase 2008 model that is still running okay and suits my needs (self employed electrician) but is starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Being London based it is known that the ULEZ will soon be extended out to the North/South circular so any diesel powered vehicles will need to be Euro6 (Def is okay as just outside the zone with no need to drive into zone) so I will have to change it anyway (already incur increased parking charges within the zone). I have considered electric but have to do long trips down to Devon quite often so range not brilliant especialy when loaded.

I could go down the same route again with Peugeot/Citroen/Toyota (essentialy the same van) but have also been looking at Transit Customs but not sure about their reliability, Transit vans seem to be the biggest selling van in the country by a long way. Does anybody have any good or bad reports about Transit Customs reliability or Ford service in general?
Post #881316 27th Jan 2021 3:02pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
The Transit Custom is the only hybrid option currently available that I’m aware of, with a 1.0 ecoboost ICE charging your batteries.

All other BEV vehicles really only come into their own if you don’t have big distances to travel and you can offset congestion, lez and ulez charges against the initial purchase cost.

Even the Custom isn’t cheap to run, combined electric/petrol costs with maintenance to a normal 1.0 ICE make it just as expensive to run as a normal van.

The key is to use them where you have congestion, lez or ulez charges. Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #881320 27th Jan 2021 3:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scoobeenut

To be honest I don’t think I would go with electric or hybrid, this will probably be my last diesel van which should hopefully last until I retire. Will be looking to move out of London so although still working in the zones occasionally this won’t be a long term problem. Really looking for long term reliability.
Post #881386 27th Jan 2021 8:19pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Transit custom has moved from 2.2 puma to 2.0 panther with a wet belt system. Now they are on a different 2.0 diesel that has supposedly been developed with VW the new connect and caddy are now the same van under the skin, I don't know if that will be the same with the custom and transporter.
Post #881498 28th Jan 2021 9:03am
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I have a 65 plate lwb transit and I’ve had transits for 30 odd years Bow down the 65 plate one I have now is defo the best van I’ve ever had , it’s a good spec crew cab and only 2 seats in the front which is great , 155 bhp and returns 38 mpg , it drives faultlessly and I really do love it Bow down , as being a builder it does all I need Thumbs Up plus I have a 65 plate transit crew cab tipper that is also great Bow down

Click image to enlarge
Post #881500 28th Jan 2021 9:28am
Leamreject

Agreed, other than buying a transporter you’ll struggle to better a new diesel transit.

It’s a great all rounder, looks and drives incredibly well and holds its value much better than everything bar the VW T7

Look after it and consider it an investment Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #881503 28th Jan 2021 9:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scoobeenut

I am being drawn to the Transit, I realise I would have to spend a bit beefing up the security, I think Fords are not the hardest to get into.
Post #881555 28th Jan 2021 3:03pm
stew 46

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Bonatti Grey
I’ve had my custom a couple years now and it’s not missed a beat Bow down I did have to put winter tyres on the front as it was spinning on a wet road when pulling out , it’s very nippy for a 155 bhp Thumbs Up
Post #881558 28th Jan 2021 3:32pm
Leamreject

Scoobeenut wrote:
I am being drawn to the Transit, I realise I would have to spend a bit beefing up the security, I think Fords are not the hardest to get into.

The more you secure it the more damage they will do, anything you really value is best removed so the scumbags don’t get it Whistle Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #881563 28th Jan 2021 4:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
The 4wd Transit might be worth looking at, I don’t know anything at all about it but have seen the adverts of it.

If I ever needed a Van, it would be a Transit out of all the rest on the market. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #881613 28th Jan 2021 7:58pm
Leamreject

Leamreject wrote:
Agreed, other than buying a transporter you’ll struggle to better a new diesel transit.

It’s a great all rounder, looks and drives incredibly well and holds its value much better than everything bar the VW T7

Look after it and consider it an investment

Although the Transit in general is a great all rounder I’m referring to the Transit Custom being as cool as the Transporter. The “Custom” is a completely different body to the larger Transit Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #881616 28th Jan 2021 8:07pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
custom90steve wrote:
The 4wd Transit might be worth looking at, I don’t know anything at all about it but have seen the adverts of it.

If I ever needed a Van, it would be a Transit out of all the rest on the market.

50k+vat Big Cry
Post #881629 28th Jan 2021 9:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Ouch, still nice though. There is one not far from me with a small lift and ATR’s on.
Sounds odd, but it does actually look good. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #881633 28th Jan 2021 9:36pm
Leamreject

Ouch!! Ride like you stole it!!
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #881634 28th Jan 2021 9:37pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
I've just ordered my third Custom. My previous 2 have been faultless. Absolutely great driving position and all the comforts of a modern car. Good value compared to the German offerings and I always have people wanting to buy mine when I order my new one.
No van has great security and I'd say the French offerings are the worst. Any cordless tool gets you in to any van though.
Post #882427 1st Feb 2021 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>