↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > Anyone know which off road tyres LR recommend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Van Diesel

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Auto Pennine Grey
Anyone know which off road tyres LR recommend
Have just ordered a 110 and want the Good Year Duratracs fitting so ticked the off road tyres option box. Small print says the Duratracs aren't available from the factory and these would be a dealer fit. Mentioned this to dealer and they said their parts dept doesn't have access to Duratracs?

I can fit Duratracs myself but more cost and the hassle of selling the original tyres.

I've known LR to sometimes try and wriggle out of warranty issues due to different tyres, although never had a problem myself on General Grabbers and BFG's, so wondered what others thoughts are or a solution to get DT's fitted.

Post #881145 26th Jan 2021 8:21pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Buy the standard tyres then swap them yourself to Dratracs

Or go fo the Adventure off road if you are not looking for heavy off road or winter tyres
Post #881150 26th Jan 2021 8:53pm
Van Diesel

Need a pretty heavy duty one so the Wrangler Adventure won't cut it tbh. Yep, will give that a go.!
Post #881167 26th Jan 2021 9:56pm
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Or find a different dealer.
They are clearly only interested in selling the car, not making the customer happy
No surprise there...
Post #881383 27th Jan 2021 8:10pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
My dealership said the same last week, I told them I don’t want the vehicle unless it comes with the Duratracs as it is clearly stated on the configurator as a dealership option available to the customer. Next day I got a call saying they have found a set but that there was only 6 tyres available so must be a shortage out there atm
Post #881399 27th Jan 2021 8:39pm
Tim in Scotland

I added Duratracs a month after getting the car in June- got them fitted by KwikFit Mobile fitting service to the OEM alloys. Used KwikFit because they were a) cheapest and had mobile fitting, b) I got 20% discount using my membership of a professional body and c) they could get them to me and fitted in 24 hours............... well c) didn’t quite work as the local depot/ store (Cumbernauld in Strathclyde) only had 4 out of the 5 tyres I ordered but the 5th had to come from........... Maidstone. Credit where credit is due I still had them fitted on the day that I was promised, just a little later than booked for as the 5th one must have been airfreighted or express couriered north. There was one problem with the mobile fitting - the guy couldn’t get the 20” wheel and tyre onto the balancing machine in his van as it was too close to the van side by about 1mm! He did book me an appointment at the nearest KwikFit branch in Stirling for the next day at no extra charge and at a time to suit me.
I know not everyone is either a member of a trade Union or professional,body but if you are a member of a motoring organisation do check that they don’t have a discount deal with any if the tyre majors, my local LR dealer claimed not to be able to match KwikFit pre-discount price and then they wanted extra for valving (not necessary) and balancing......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #881412 27th Jan 2021 8:58pm
Van Diesel

Helpful advice Tim. If you're having a deja vu moment I think you may have replied to a similar request from me on the FB page with a couple of photos?

I'll be going down your route now as the dealer have basically said, can't quote won't quote, despite it saying the dealer will supply and fit Duratracs on the configurator!!

Out of interest, have you kept the original tyres or did you sell them on. I normally sell the originals.
Post #881422 27th Jan 2021 9:05pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes the All Seasons are in my garage - member Mr Eleven here did the same thing as me but a couple of weeks later then he was going to sell the All Seasons but I couldn’t be bothered.
I see folks on the FB forum are considering BFG’s - my concern is that they aren’t LR approved for the car so I wonder how you would stand in the event of having to make a warranty claim on the transmission running with them. You know what JLR are like about wriggling out of warranty claims..........
I went for the Duratracs mainly basis the reports on RRSport and D3 and D4 forums about how well they performed on and off-road - I don’t intend to return to the All Seasons as the car runs very quietly onroad on them and I haven’t noticed any increase in fuel consumption running them instead if the all seasons. I have the Q rated tyres as KwikFit couldn’t find any of the same tyre withe the H rating in the U.K. or Europe.
Maybe these photos?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #881469 27th Jan 2021 11:13pm
Van Diesel

Yes, they’re the photos!!
I agree about the tyre choice and LR trying to wriggle out of warranty work. I had bfgs years ago and they were good tyres but I notice the Duratracs have a slightly better decibel rating, but I think are a C on fuel whereas the BFGs are an E from memory?
Good discount you got on them too. I’ll have to see if any of my memberships can help?
Post #881478 28th Jan 2021 12:22am
Tim in Scotland

I’m running BFG MT’s on my TDi300 90 - ran OEM BFG AT’s on it out to 65000 miles and they were still well legal but off-road grip had evaporated. I ran for a year on a set of awful GrizzlyClaw remoulds then went to the BFG MT’s after 12 months/600 miles and now the car has 93000 miles on it. I was able to sell on the original AT’s to somebody who only wanted them for road use and the GrizzlyClaws on modular wheels also found a new owner very quickly despite them starting to delaminate on a couple of the tyres. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #881502 28th Jan 2021 9:31am
GreenMonster

United States 
At least in the US, we have the Magnusson act, and the burden is on the dealer/manufacturer to prove that a replacement set of tires caused whatever warranty issue is at hand. I doubt courts would support that kind of denial given the impact it would have on tire manufacturers. For the most part, you should be fine using non LR marked tires.
Post #915385 4th Aug 2021 2:06am
Tim in Scotland

The other issue I had with changing the tyres was my insurer- they wouldn’t cover me if I fitted tyres without them being LR approved………. The same insurers have no problem with my old 90 TDi300 running non-LR approved BFG’s! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #915413 4th Aug 2021 9:58am
GreenMonster

United States 
That’s amazing. I’ve never heard of any insurer asking if tires are manufacturer approved. This is just not an issue in the US as far as I know.
Post #915416 4th Aug 2021 10:02am
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 
Land Rover recommends these … Laughing
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/d1/fb/19...57ecb9.jpg

Click image to enlarge
 22MY Defender 110 (actual) | 10MY Freelander 2 (history) | 15MY Discovery Sport HSE (history)
Post #918774 26th Aug 2021 12:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1