↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > First Time Buyer Opinions - Defender 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
First Time Buyer Opinions - Defender 90
I'm looking for some opinions on two possible options that I'm looking at if possible? I'm looking for a 2007 onwards Defender 90 with rear foldaway seats. I've got roughly £25k to spend and I'm focusing on mileage being low Vs a higher spec.

First up is an ex military base spec 90 here - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/20...bcid=soc3. How easy would it be to start retro fitting electric windows, air con etc? Is it overpriced?

Other option at the other end of the spectrum is this - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/20...bcid=soc3. Much higher spec XS that looks like it's been looked after but obviously higher mileage. Is that comparatively better value for money?

I'm fully prepared to inspect the problem areas for rust, but I've also been told to check the clutches on the 2007 onwards, outside of taking it for a quick spin what should I be looking for?

Where should I be buying parts from? I've heard contrasting.opinions.

Any help or suggestions is hugely appreciated.
Post #880250 23rd Jan 2021 8:23am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Despite the mileage disparity, of the two I'd go for the green one. The yellow one is expensive for what is a base spec. model regardless of the striking paint job and a few bolt on goodies.

Upgrading the yellow one to the spec. of the green one could be done but would be a costly exercise: seats, electric windows, heated screen, steering wheel, plus some other minor cosmetic touches. Adding ABS and traction control is probably prohibitively expensive. And then, even if you did do all of that, it still wouldn't be a genuine XS and be valued accordingly.

The general advice when buying a Defender is to do so on condition rather than mileage.

Have a trawl of the forum with the search function because there's lots of advice about particular issues that you've mentioned. Here's a couple to get you going:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53286...ying+guide

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic57168...ying+guide Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #880253 23rd Jan 2021 8:45am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I suppose the question is what you want your 90 to look like or 'be' for you when finished?

That 'specced' 90 has thousands of pounds of upgrades, even just the Recaro seats, Twisted wheels and other visible upgrades. So if you would want to make the yellow one (cool colour BTW) look like the green one, you'll have to find a lot of extra cash. Couple of grand for the wheels, couple of grand for the seats, then a few hundred quid each for the following: carpet, cubby, window tint, led lights etc. It also looks like it's been lowered (so that would be a grand for a basic spring/shock upgrade) and given what's been done (I can't read the full spiel for some reason) it might also have been remapped (£500+) and perhaps had improved engine ancils such as intercooler (£600+) and perhaps some sound proofing for the stereo (£500+) etc etc.

So if the engine is sound (and there are many on here with 2.4s well into the 200k region), 72k is fine. On the subject of the clutch and output shaft, if it's got a FSH it might tell you if either have been done. If not, and if they fail (there seems to be no rhyme or reason about failure based on mileage - mine went at 40k whilst others have never had a failure) then have a grand ready and accessible for the repair. Other ware and tear items that 'might' go at this mileage (bushes, ball joints, seals, bearings, half shafts etc) are all relatively cheap, are easily changed DIY and are just part of living with a Defender. So good, smooth running engine, solid, rust free chassis, complete service history, the Green one is perfectly safe, as long as you have the cash for output shaft failure. Having said that, you might drive another 30k in the green one before it goes (if it goes) and just 10k in the yellow one and have a failure.

So if both engines are sound, and both chassis solid, and the running gear of both are in good condition, what do you want it to be? Final thought, and for how long? Whilst I'm saying don't worry too much about the mileage, there's no getting away from the fact that people obsess over it. If you plan to keep the 90 for a couple of years only, then clearly you might have a yellow one with only 40k on the clock vs the green one topping 100k. Flip side, canary yellow basic spec will always be harder to sell, even versus a vehicle with higher mileage. Indeed you're suffering the dilemma yourself.

Personally, if the mechanics of both are in similarly good condition, I'd go down the green route (if that's where you ultimately want to end up) as there's so much done/spent for you. If you want a project, can bare to wait, have access to cash for upgrades, and like yellow, well you know the answer. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey

Last edited by Grenadier on 23rd Jan 2021 9:01am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #880260 23rd Jan 2021 8:57am
Grenadier

Bloody hell LRA. If I'd known you were already awake I could have saved myself some time and written '^^^ What he said'

Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #880261 23rd Jan 2021 8:59am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Heh, heh Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #880263 23rd Jan 2021 9:08am
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
Thank you for the advice, I knew I'd get some solid opinions and probably should have come here sooner.

I agree with both of you, I was just attracted to the lower mileage because of the future value. I'm planning on keeping it for 5 years and using it as a daily. I don't actually drive a lot for work, mainly train travel so it'd be about 5k a year.

I'll push ahead on the green one and see if he'll go to £25k.

Thanks again.
Post #880271 23rd Jan 2021 9:27am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Mine is 30kmiles 2011 XS 90 CSW visually standard and in very good nick having lived in a heated garage all its life and I wouldn't have valued it anywhere near that high it cost less than them new.

Keep looking and put a wanted add on here and see what comes up.

Click image to enlarge
 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #880272 23rd Jan 2021 9:33am
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
I've been looking for 6 months now and that pricing seems pretty accurate for the 20 or so I've looked at.

I'm not sure if they have suddenly shot up in value over the last year or I'm just plain wrong but I can only go on the pricing I've seen.

I'll put an advert on here as well.
Post #880274 23rd Jan 2021 9:39am
Grenadier

Ashcurze wrote:
Thank you for the advice, I knew I'd get some solid opinions and probably should have come here sooner.

I agree with both of you, I was just attracted to the lower mileage because of the future value. I'm planning on keeping it for 5 years and using it as a daily. I don't actually drive a lot for work, mainly train travel so it'd be about 5k a year.

I'll push ahead on the green one and see if he'll go to £25k.

Thanks again.

Addendum. The green one also has heated seats and air con. Retro fitting heated seats is relatively easy with kits from Exmoor trim. But air con is expensive, more difficult to fit and depending on the kit you buy might require the AC nose (some AM kits don't) which you'd then have to paint to match the rest of the yellow. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #880275 23rd Jan 2021 9:40am
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
Thanks - I've been looking at the loganair units as a possibility.

I appreciate this is a tough question but based on the post above is £25k a good price? I've been looking for 6 months and it looks like the going rate...

Thanks
Post #880276 23rd Jan 2021 9:44am
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
LR90XS2011 wrote:
Mine is 30kmiles 2011 XS 90 CSW visually standard and in very good nick having lived in a heated garage all its life and I wouldn't have valued it anywhere near that high it cost less than them new.

Keep looking and put a wanted add on here and see what comes up.

[img:866:650]https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11749/normal_20201011_154256.jp
g[/img]

I think you also have to be a member for 30 days to post a wanted advert and I need the defender in the next week or so.
Post #880277 23rd Jan 2021 9:46am
steve E

Wales 
I think those prices are very high.
Make an offer if you really need one, but I’d wait if possible.
Post #880286 23rd Jan 2021 10:43am
Ashcurze

United Kingdom 
Sorry do you mean wait for prices to drop or wait for a lower priced one as they are all comparatively priced?

Few examples
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/20...obcid=soc3
Thanks
Post #880287 23rd Jan 2021 10:53am
steve E

Wales 
I would wait till you can pop a wanted add on here.
The difference between dealer prices and privately sold prices is considerably higher.
The vehicles on here are generally top quality too as enthusiasts keep on top of the little niggles.
Some lovely examples have been up for sale on here in the last 6 months
Would be upset if I paid 25k and if I wanted to resell due to a change in circumstances its worth £20k
I’ve had some cracking deals on defenders over the years and on my recent purchase in September.
Good luck with the search 👍
Post #880292 23rd Jan 2021 11:21am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Just with regard the yellow one. There were quite a few of those for sale when I was buying a few years ago. I think the consensus is that they were used on airfields, hence the low mileage. Quite a few had sunroofs so incoming aircraft could be viewed apparently. I looked at 2 and they both had service history on Lex Autolease printouts with all the work carried out by Kwik Fit Shocked

They were too bog basic for me, but would make a good blank canvass for project I reckon. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #880308 23rd Jan 2021 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>