Home > My New Defender (L663) > My Ultimate Urban L663 Defender 110 P400HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
No point going with LR's privacy glass, only reaches the
B pillar and has very minimal UV protection.. LR dealers in OZ typically arrange for the ceramic tint to be
done prior to delivery, so you have UV protection from day one.

Is that minimal as in you actually have comparative figures or minimal as in what the salesperson told you whilst up selling you aftermarket tints on a commission basis?
Post #879859 21st Jan 2021 6:38am
Supacat

W84IT wrote:
you often see vehicles sold from the LR Dealer that have tint on the front windows. However, they do charge you for it and I think you also have to sign a disclosure.

I'm guessing what you sign is actually this:

" in order for a dealership to sell you a car with front tinted windows, they have to make you sign a document stating that your vehicle is not legal in the state of California." Whistle

https://abc30.com/window-tint-chp-californ...ce/5873675
Post #879860 21st Jan 2021 6:49am
W84IT

United States 
Yes, obviously it's so the dealership can't be held accountable if you decide that you want tint on your front windows. Rolling Eyes
Did you miss the part where I said that the police including the CHP don't make a big deal of it...so why are you making a big deal of it all the way from another country?

It is very rare to see someone get stopped for a tint violation here in California unless the tint is extremely dark. Every SUV that I've owned has had tint on the front windows to match the factory tint on the rear windows and I've only been issued a citation once which was over 15 years ago. Once again, you will see many law enforcement officers including CHP with "illegal" front window tint on their personal vehicles...I'm sure this is why they don't make a big deal of it. Ray
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #879914 21st Jan 2021 12:19pm
Supacat

Just calling a spade a spade...

"It isn’t clear how many tickets are given each year for illegal window tint however the California Highway Patrol mentions that tickets for illegal window tint are common. One source with the highway patrol stated that from January 2015 through August 2015, there were a total of 193,000 tickets given for illegal window tint."

https://www.ticketsnipers.com/article/wind...california

Looks like people like you are putting this chap's children through college...

" If you or a loved one has been involved in or injured in an accident that you believe was caused by illegally or improperly tinted car windows, talk to the knowledgeable legal professionals and attorney Barry P. Goldberg today."
https://www.barrypgoldberg.com/do-tinted-w...accidents/
Post #879924 21st Jan 2021 1:13pm
W84IT

United States 
Rolling Eyes Dude, don't you have anything better to do? Yes, there are some law enforcement officers that will pull you over and issue a citation for window tint. I'm fully aware of that and I accept the responsibility of removing my window tint and paying the citation if or whenever that happens. I've discussed this with a good friend of mine who happens to be a CHP and he has illegal tint on his personal vehicle...he also said that he accepts full responsibility if another officer decides to issue him a citation for it. He knows as well as I know that the risk is worth taking for a little extra protection from the sun in this area of the country. He also told me that most officers don't actually look to pull people over for the window tint. However, if you are pulled over for different violation and just so happen to have illegal tint as well then that's when they will issue you a citation for it. The one tip that my CHP friend gave me was to just roll my front windows down if it seems like I'm ever getting pulled over for any violation. Ray
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #879935 21st Jan 2021 2:07pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
You have to understand that in the UK we are awful on rules and the police, often to our own detriment...the thought of not having a law and then it not being enforceable by imprisonment or a good fine is alien here...where in the rest of the world - including USA its different and dose of common sense does often work through

Having an illegal UK tint (or speeding or many many other minor infractions) means you are literally killing puppies and should have your car crushed and its popular to say that unfortunately Big Cry Mike
Post #879939 21st Jan 2021 2:47pm
SN

Yup - the only acceptable risk level is NONE - ambulance chasers have drove this, oh and crusading relatives spouting the "some good most come out of little jonny's accident" leading to often knee-jerk law changes without thinking it through Evil or Very Mad Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #879943 21st Jan 2021 3:17pm
Supacat

Maybe a cheaper way to get that urban look?

Man gives his car 'tinted' windows using three household items and it cost less than £10

Click image to enlarge

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/m...s-23492044
Post #885241 13th Feb 2021 12:50pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
you will simply encourage the 'window lickers'............... Laughing
Post #885246 13th Feb 2021 1:10pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Otherwise known as The Canadian Tint. Whistle
Post #885248 13th Feb 2021 1:15pm
W84IT

United States 
I was planning to have the spare wheel cover painted Fuji white to match the body color but I just installed the spare wheel cover decal from powerfulUK and I love the contrast...

Ray
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #886347 18th Feb 2021 4:38pm
W84IT

United States 
Bigger infotainment screen coming for the 2022 model year...this will be my next upgrade if it's plug and play.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Ray
2016.5 Range Rover HSE
Post #887797 25th Feb 2021 5:02pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ I always wonder why, with all the development before launch, designers don’t think of things like this before. I can understand 5-10 years down the road, but on the first facelift after just a couple of years, seems odd. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #887897 26th Feb 2021 7:48am
Supacat

Would it be too cynical to suggest that the product development plan included this from the get go and the answer as to why lies in markup as evidenced by this thread:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic77183.html
Post #887902 26th Feb 2021 8:40am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Not at all. I met a Tech journo some years ago and he says this is all planned in. Release an iPhone and then release the upgrade of the same phone a year later. However, as we all know, Apple know exactly what iPhone number two will be before they've even released number one, because they also know that Apple fans will buy each new release. Double the unit sale site to one person of basically the same phone/computer/tablet etc. However, this is 'part' of a car which is a bit odd, unless as some above hope, it I see plug and play. And given the markup we saw on the report of the JLR thief (stole £10k worth of parts that have a retail value of £80k or 720% markup) these two screens will be a nice little earner for LR. As an aside, how can LR and JLR be in such fincancial trouble if they're charging such an uplift for what's in the cars. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #887945 26th Feb 2021 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>