↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Harry's Garage ~ 110 Full Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
SN

I would argue that what is obvious in all of the above post is that it was written by someone who owns (and loves) an old Defender. All about opinions. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #879724 20th Jan 2021 1:32pm
Philip

United Kingdom 
Conspiracy theories are popular at the moment.
Post #879726 20th Jan 2021 1:34pm
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
SN wrote:
I would argue that what is obvious in all of the above post is that it was written by someone who owns (and loves) an old Defender. All about opinions.

That’s fair, and certainly the case as regards my position; I love my old defender in spite of all its issues.

However, you have not addressed my points, regardless of what the catalyst for my comments may have been.
Post #879805 20th Jan 2021 8:10pm
nowrxo

Fellrunner wrote:
I like Harry’s stuff; both his car and farm videos. Normally very informative with little hint of any bias.

I think this has a very different tone/approach compared to his other reviews, revealing a potential agenda. As has been noted, he was/is a consultant for JLR.

Yes, because if someone says something good about this car, they're obviously being paid by LR. Or alternatively, you're seeing things that don't exist. Most of the reviews of the new Defender have been positive. Have LR paid everyone? Or is it just a good car?

Quote:

- what’s the point of stuffing hay bales, logs, wheels in the back - you can do that in many LR and other makes. It’s a JLR loan car which most owners are going to use very differently to what Harry seeks to demonstrate with this car

To show that it's still a practical car, despite not being as utilitarian as the old Defender? To poke fun at the "farmers will never use it" gang?

Quote:

- what's the point of hooning around on a field at a silly speed with no TR on - most joy riders can do that in a clapped out banger

To show that you can? To show that the handling is actually quite good, given the size of the thing? Because you couldn't in an old one? Because it's fun?

Quote:

- why does he witter on waxing lyrical about the hybrid engine tech as though it’s the latest cutting edge in motoring, don’t many other cars already have this

Perhaps it's actually quite good for an LR product.

Quote:

- his argument as to why, as some others have suggested, that this isn’t a Disco 5 is nuanced at best

If it were a Disco 5, it would be called a Discovery. It's called a Defender and it looks like a Defender. Therefore it's a Defender.

Quote:

- his thoughts on the most outstanding feature was it’s road manners, yeah OK Harry but how is that different to the Disco, RRs, RR, velar ...

Again, perhaps he's comparing to the old one, which despite all its many charms, isn't as good on road as off.

Quote:

- what relevance a slow motion sequence of the car taking a corner has is beyond me. He’s never used that sort of shot before

Yes, he should show the same old shots again and again, even if his videos become boring and predictable. Are you really criticising him for trying something new?

Quote:

- likewise, why do we need professionally staged (and lit) photographs of logs stacked in the boot or a family sledging (hmmm, selling a lifestyle perhaps)

Oh no, high production values. The horror! Did you try viewing the video in 240p or on a Windows 3.11 machine?

Quote:

- what’s the nonsense of dealers wanting to hide the wading depth of the old defender, really, that didn’t even crop up in conversation when I bought mine new

So because it didn't happen to you, it didn't happen to anyone? Truly you are the centre of the world.

Quote:

- on the topic of wading, the new defender is not the “king” of wading, it is simply now equal to other latest LR products

LR's own website lists wading depths of its products as between 500mm and 600mm. The Disco Sport wading depth is apparently 600mm. So there's at least one car that the Defender beats.

Quote:

I could go on. Suffice to say, I think he let himself down a little on this one.

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? You have an agenda (wanting to see the car rubbished or belittled, perhaps?), just like you claim he has.
Post #879813 20th Jan 2021 9:10pm
SN

Fellrunner wrote:
SN wrote:
I would argue that what is obvious in all of the above post is that it was written by someone who owns (and loves) an old Defender. All about opinions.

That’s fair, and certainly the case as regards my position; I love my old defender in spite of all its issues.

However, you have not addressed my points, regardless of what the catalyst for my comments may have been.

I refer you to the post by @juwivive

In case you didn't know, your post exhibits classic troll tendancies where you DEMAND that you be proven you are wrong and if no one does then obviously this proves you are right.

I see it all the time, though usually its Remainers or Antivaxxers. Sad. Because although I've never owned one (mainly because the missus wouldn't have one), I love the old Defender with its direct lineage back to 1948. Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #879839 20th Jan 2021 10:53pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Fellrunner ~ crack on, you make some decent points, we can all decide whether we agree or disagree, and between the two extremes there's plenty of room for further discourse and views.

But we should be playing the ball and remain on topic ~ please.
Post #879867 21st Jan 2021 7:44am
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
SN wrote:
Fellrunner wrote:
SN wrote:

I refer you to the post by @juwivive

In case you didn't know, your post exhibits classic troll tendancies where you DEMAND that you be proven you are wrong and if no one does then obviously this proves you are right.

I see it all the time, though usually its Remainers or Antivaxxers. Sad. Because although I've never owned one (mainly because the missus wouldn't have one), I love the old Defender with its direct lineage back to 1948.

Yeah OK, that’s all fair, and certainly the case that these are just personal points of view and as such both exist happily in parallel. My point is simply that this is arguably a different style to any of Harry’s other car reviews, hence pointing out some examples of why this review looked a little odd/different to me.

The troll point is a tad harsh and I don’t think really justified, but hey ho. It’s your view so so be it.
Post #879886 21st Jan 2021 9:42am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I watched it, enjoyed it and was happy to hear what he says.
Without sounding like a terrible farming related pun, he knows his onions.

Paid promotion? Be sure Youtube will be a nice income in its own right for him, but who cares? Kudos to him.
Anybody who says it's a Disco 6/7/8 whatever, must have their eyes painted on.

After watching it I just wanted a New Defender more!! As I've stated here before, that probably will never happen and kudos to those who spent their life 'getting on', not hangin' out.. like me. #selfmadepauper
Post #879927 21st Jan 2021 1:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
familymad wrote:
That mpg Shocked

Our P400 SE model, over 3400 KM's is averaging 19.4 MPG based predominantly urban with a small amount
of Highway added. If you give it a bit of welly the MPG can be as low as 14 MPG on the odd journey Laughing

What is the tax take on fuel there?

Just been reading about the US, and consideration being given to increasing the federal fuel tax (is there a state element as well?) to help fund more big infrastructure projects that Biden is a fan of.

Shocking fact stated was that "Congress has not boosted the 18.4-cents-per-gallon federal gasoline tax since 1993. That tax is now worth just 10.2 cents after adjusting for inflation."

[needs free registration to view]
https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety...fund-roads
Post #880062 22nd Jan 2021 8:19am
SN

equivalent uk taxation would be £2.63 per US Gallon.... Neutral Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #880081 22nd Jan 2021 9:45am
DSL

United Kingdom 
Was pleasantly surprised re petrol prices in Aus a year ago, about half what we were paying at the same time here.
Post #880083 22nd Jan 2021 9:48am
Patriot0290

United States 
Re: Harry's Garage ~ 110 Full Review

Click image to enlarge

Supacat wrote:
Drops tonight.

Click image to enlarge

Harry Metcalfe (@harrym_vids) Tweeted:
Tonight’s HG vid is a review of the @LandRoverUKPR Defender 110. M Jnr very kindly did a possible thumbnail photo of me with the Defender but I’m not sure if it’s the right one to use..
Vid goes live 5pm today. https://t.co/i3lESEikdj https://twitter.com/harrym_vids/status/1350750816265773056?s=20

That’s my Defender without the Expedition rack.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2020 Defender 110 P400 HSE (Tasman Blue/Khaki)

Previously:
1995 Discovery
1995 Range Rover County Classic
1998 Range Rover
2000 Discovery II
2004 Range Rover
2007 LR3
1995 Range Rover County LWB
Post #880299 23rd Jan 2021 12:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123