↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Spotted > Giving Defenders a bad name...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Dixy

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 2.5 TD CSW Cairns Blue
I am not defending the defender as there was no reason for him not to move further right and stay over longer. However all he did was make the cyclist feel uncomfortable, the differential in speed was around 20 mph at most, the space for the cyclist was a good meter, if the defender had been stationary in a queue the cyclist would have happily chosen to shoot through the gap with a similar differential of speed.
Post #879683 20th Jan 2021 11:18am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Maybe ask the question - Is there any difference in consequence if a 80kg person vs a 2,200kg vehicle mis-calculates and hits the other at 20mph...?
Post #879687 20th Jan 2021 11:50am
Whirly90

England 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Keswick Green
Why is it giving Defenders a bad name, surely that's tarring all Defender drivers with the same brush? There are a lot of selfish idiots riding bikes and driving cars, it's not the mode of transport that's at fault it's the rider/ driver.
Post #879693 20th Jan 2021 12:06pm
htb2

Scotland 
Its not just defender drivers. I had one stupid Censored of a cyclist pull straight out of a T junction in front of me, wobble about in road, stop and look at his phone. I only just stopped without hitting him as did the 2 Gas vans that were following me, they were not impressed either. Its not just one side at fault here, but as vehicle drivers were at fault by right, i Know the consequences for cyclist is far worse, BUt.....
Post #879697 20th Jan 2021 12:20pm
Dixy

Supacat wrote:
Maybe ask the question - Is there any difference in consequence if a 80kg person vs a 2,200kg vehicle mis-calculates and hits the other at 20mph...?

Since when have 2 wrongs made a right, the point is all road users should treat the others with consideration.
Post #879699 20th Jan 2021 12:38pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Looking at the footage, the vehicle may be considered a little too close but the cyclists appears not to have needed to take any avoiding action. So I’m my opinion it wasn’t a near miss albeit a bit more space as a courtesy would have been nice.

We will all have different opinions but remember the majority of Defender drivers are genuinely much more courteous than normal drivers.

Bow down Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #879701 20th Jan 2021 12:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T140

Scotland 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
some cyclist dont help by cycling on the road at 5-10 mph when there is a perfectly good cycle lane/road next to the road, the worst i see is coming into Fort William from the north you will see a good cycle road (2 lanes) next to the road but there are still big hold up's with cyclist's ignoring it and using the road. nobody is perfect but being Scottish is a start
Post #879706 20th Jan 2021 1:30pm
Barneyboy

England 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a Diesel ST Nato Green
I commute to work on my bike from March to October and have a high viz jacket front and rear flashing lights and a hi viz cover for my rucksack and still some of the driving I've witnessed has been appalling, i have for the last couple of years had a GoPro mounted on my saddle facing backwards and have reported 3 drivers to Thames Valley Police with the footage and they were all dealt with accordingly, however i now have it mounted on my helmet facing backwards and that has made a huge difference in how i am approached and overtaken, ok i know it looks a bit daft but i dont care it seems to work and its in full view Thumbs Up Paul
Post #879709 20th Jan 2021 1:58pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Dixy wrote:
I am not defending the defender as there was no reason for him not to move further right and stay over longer. However all he did was make the cyclist feel uncomfortable, the differential in speed was around 20 mph at most, the space for the cyclist was a good meter, if the defender had been stationary in a queue the cyclist would have happily chosen to shoot through the gap with a similar differential of speed.

Sorry, but I have to take issue with this. There is absolutely no way that the Defender was one meter away from the cyclist in that video, it was much closer.

Remember that a Defender is approximately 2m in width, and there was not half-a-Defender between the outermost extremity of the cyclist and the n/s mirror of the Defender.

I also don't agree with your reasoning about the speed. If the cyclist fell off while the Defender was passing (or worse, was just about to pass) he would probably be run over and the injuries would be severe or fatal. If the cyclist passed a stationary vehicle at the same proximity and fell off, at worst he'd be paying for some dings and scratches to the vehicle.

I am not a cycling nutjob and I am not an anti-cycling nutjob, but I am very opposed to inconsiderate stupid driving (by anyone on any tyoe of machine) and the Defender driver's standards were not of an acceptable standard.

There are nutters and fanatics, and there are those who display appalling and despicable behaviours in both camps (not on Def2, it is a nice place), what we actually need is improved standards and greater tolerance and understanding across the board.

And next time the Defender driver should pull out further!
Post #879720 20th Jan 2021 2:22pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Good for you Barney

It’s what keeps you safe is the most important

Picking up on what Supercat said, the press only ever reports deaths. Never any mention of horrific injuries sustained and how it effects the individual and their families for the rest of their lives.

Yes some people on both sides can be stupid, distracted or plainly should not be on the roads but as I said, take the moral high ground when driving and be the better person.

When I was commuting 25 miles a day by bike in the early 90’s after having my Ford RS 1600i stolen this is what I had to put up with on a weekly basis, close passing, spat at, drinks thrown at me, passengers trying to grab my ruck sack, passengers leaning out to push me off.....

If you know anyone that cycles, for whatever their reasons and motivations, be they family, friends, work colleagues ask them about their real experiences on the road, not just ‘did you have a nice ride’.

Some people are just bullies and continue to do so because they know that in the worst case scenario the worst that will happen to them is the short term loss of their driving licence and a fine. The other person could be dead or in a wheelchair for life.

On a lighter note and thanks to lockdown (whichever number now) on the 6th Jan I rode the Alp d ez route on Zwift, 2 hrs 41 and damn near killed myself doing it, but I did it.. Thumbs Up
Post #879723 20th Jan 2021 2:30pm
Supacat

This is food for thought:

Click image to enlarge

"Drivers are expected to leave a gap of 1.5 metres when passing people on bicycles at 30 miles-per-hour. The flag shown here extends exactly 1 metre out from the centre line of the bicycle so, allowing for the fact that my handlebar extends 30 cm out, anyone hitting the flag must be no more than 0.7 metres away from me and my 7 year old granddaughter. This is less than half the gap the drivers are supposed to leave anyway, so it should not be a problem at all."

And 1.5m ~" Anyone encroaching inside that safe passing distance - widely considered to be a minimum of 1.5 metres - runs the risk of being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention."

https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/your-o...cling[url]
Post #879725 20th Jan 2021 2:33pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Whirly90 wrote:
Why is it giving Defenders a bad name, surely that's tarring all Defender drivers with the same brush? There are a lot of selfish idiots riding bikes and driving cars, it's not the mode of transport that's at fault it's the rider/ driver.

Whirly, whether we like it or not, it's because this is the way the world works. In my younger days, it was Volvo drivers who had a similar bad reputation, then later BMW drivers inherited it, these days it seems to be mostly Audi drivers who are tarred with that very same brush. Such assumptions and prejudices probably began back in 1886 with those wretched inconsiderate maniacs tearing up and down the roads in their Benz Patent-Motorwagens! Thumbs Up
Post #879732 20th Jan 2021 3:34pm
Dixy

blackwolf wrote:
Dixy wrote:
I am not defending the defender as there was no reason for him not to move further right and stay over longer..... the space for the cyclist was a good meter.

Sorry, but I have to take issue with this. There is absolutely no way that the Defender was one meter away from the cyclist !

Read what is written not what you think I might have meant.

As someone who has been hit whilst cycling by a car driver who did the classic SMIDSY I feel entitled to comment.

The defender was 99.9% in the wrong, if the cyclist had been being defensive and riding half a meter further out he would have protected himself a bit like having a rear facing Gopro.

One things cyclists must accept is that if the whole traffic flow reduces to their pace the effect on the economy will be worse than covid
Post #879736 20th Jan 2021 4:09pm
Supacat

"Read what is written not what you think I might have meant."

Gas OK?

Click image to enlarge
Post #879739 20th Jan 2021 4:16pm
TVR Tommy

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I'll add this little snippet for bad defender driver

at 5.06

&t=616s