↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Wireless Charging Issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DaveNYS87

United States 
Wireless Charging Issues
Is anyone else running into issues with the wireless charging pad....i.e. it's not charging a phone? I'm trying to figure out if its an issue with the car, or maybe my phone.

Ever since I upgraded to an iPhone 12, the wireless charging pad does not seem to be working properly. Half the time the phone charges on the pad for a minute or two, but then quickly stops and I get the non-charging icon on the console screen (below the phone signal icon, etc). The other half of the time, the car doesn't seem to recognize my phone on the pad at all. No icon appears, and no charging happens.

I have tried the phone with and without case, have moved it all over the pad, and nothing seems to help for more than a minute or two.

I'm in a P400 HSE, running OS 2.0.6 (updated 05 Dec), and I'm using an iPhone 12 with iOS 14.2.1.

Thanks,
Dave 2020 Defender P400 HSE
Post #873918 20th Dec 2020 8:43pm
rutiger

United States 
my 12 pro max does the same exact thing
Post #876353 5th Jan 2021 5:30am
Tim in Scotland

I don’t have the OEM wireless charger (it wasn’t even an option on European First Editions) but I use one I brought from Amazon in the same place and in the house. I’ve read loads of reports that iPhone 12 won’t charge on the wireless charger in Defender but it also won’t charge in recent BMW’s Audis, Mercedes, VW’s and many other European cars, oddly the Korean manufacturers don’t seem to have the problem. I suspect it may be an issue with the iPhone rather than the car. Have you tried charger on a wireless charger in the house? I have an iPhone SE and also I haven’t tried it on a new Defender wireless charger. Have you tried any other phone that can wireless charge on the charging pad? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #876371 5th Jan 2021 10:02am
rutiger

United States 
i have 5 various brand and form factor wireless chargers in the house. they all work fine with the 12 pro max. just seems to be something wonky with the phone and the pad in the 110. not a huge deal for me, but disappointed it doesn't work.
Post #876456 5th Jan 2021 6:21pm
DaveNYS87

United States 
Well, I guess I'm glad to hear that it's not just a problem I'm having. Misery loves company.

I do use a wireless charger in the house, and don't have frequent issues there. Every once in a while the phone will stop charging, but that's maybe once in 15-20 times on the home wireless pad.

I have not tried the Defender's charging pad with an Android phone....I'll see if I can find a friend with an Android phone and try that. At the least, it might help target the problem down to a phone type coupled to Defender issue for the iPhone 12.

Also not a show-stopper for me, but it's certainly an annoyance for a new car of this price point. 2020 Defender P400 HSE
Post #878353 13th Jan 2021 9:44pm
rutiger

United States 
i updated to latest 14.4 beta 2 and today charging works fine. however, i want to do a little more testing. because today it was charging fine from its starting point of maybe ~60% battery. many times in the past i've been at a much higher % and i wonder if that actually prevents charging. because i have noticed recent iOS and Mac OS has battery health functions in work to delay charging under certain conditions.
Post #878727 15th Jan 2021 9:51pm
rutiger

United States 
on 14.5 dev beta 1 now. same issues. phone will briefly show charging then not. leaving it on the pad it will intermittently go to charging/not charging every couple of mins. pretty annoying.
Post #882748 2nd Feb 2021 7:19pm
Q86ARR

Post #883265 4th Feb 2021 10:38pm
rutiger

United States 
Had a new xc90 rental in Florida a few weeks back. Same issue as the defender my iPhone 12 would show charging for a second then stop.

Also of interest upon googling this I found some threads with screenshots mentioning Volvo was perhaps going to modify their Qi charging pads foreign object detection which is believed to be the issue with the iPhone 12 magnet being sensed by the pad.
Post #893583 24th Mar 2021 4:47am
rutiger

United States 
so, after reading on a volvo forum and seeing most of their models also exhibit the same behavior i noted what one person mentioned about slowly lowering the phone onto the pad then pausing when it shows charging. this prompted me to try a small shim between the phone and pad. this is just a temporary trial run here, but right now it looks promising.

i grabbed a random little sheet of sticky fuzzy pads i had lying around. i lifted the rubber mat up and placed the sheet under there and laid the mat back down. after a number of times removing my phone and laying it back down it starts charging 100% of the times i tried (and keeps charging). prior to putting it under the mat i just laid the sheet on top of the mat and drove around like that today and saw it would always charge without issue.

a pic and before and after videos of what i'm trying to explain above.

Click image to enlarge

stock

with spacer hack

Post #896349 7th Apr 2021 1:45am
rutiger

United States 
drove it a few times today and charger worked 100% of the time i placed the phone on it
Post #896576 8th Apr 2021 12:26am
Q86ARR

iPhone 12 charging issue has been fixed with a software update for the wireless charging module
Post #909865 28th Jun 2021 7:49pm
rutiger

United States 
it's on the list of 5 things for my dealer to address next week. hope it works.
Post #909866 28th Jun 2021 7:52pm
brucehun

South Africa 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
Will this be OTA or dealer visit software update?
Post #909911 29th Jun 2021 5:48am
brucehun

South Africa 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
My iphone 12 does not work on any car smart charger or for that matter any desk smart charger either. I have tried 14 different types. Not one works. Audi,VW,BMW,LR,Mazda dont work.
Post #909929 29th Jun 2021 10:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>