Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
[quote="Pacha"]
blackwolf wrote:
Ianh wrote:

You will also find a lot of fasteners on modern Landrovers (and on other vehicles, especially Jap ones) that are non-preferred sizes, which is a major pain in the whatnot. For example, there are several metric thread fasteners on a Defender with a 12mm AF head instead of a 13mm AF head.

On Defenders we have the additional thrill of still having Unified and British Standard thread forms. Your front axle, for example, has a bizarre combination of metric standard, UNF and BSF threads, all of which require different size spanners!

Further compounded when the fitting involves a nut and bolt & the bolt head is a different size to the nut Big Cry

Maybe JLR have thought about the DIYer or third world countries where they do not always have multiple spanners of the same size. Rolling with laughter 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #878090 12th Jan 2021 9:52pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
rockster57 wrote:
Co1 wrote:
I used to have an old Peugeot that was littered with 5 sided bolt heads. That was an utter pain in the wheel nuts I can tell you!

Now that bit of info interests me. Wondering whether this is a potential for reasonably priced security fasteners Smile Idea

I managed to get hold of a set of sockets for them, pent (as in pentagon) sockets I believe they are called. Haven’t seen them anywhere other than on a Peugeot and I’ve been in engineering now for over 20 years, so a great security option. I can’t see any scrote coming to steal your landy armed with a set of pent sockets!
Post #878111 13th Jan 2021 6:09am
Notyalc

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
[quote="Dinnu"]
Pacha wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Ianh wrote:

You will also find a lot of fasteners on modern Landrovers (and on other vehicles, especially Jap ones) that are non-preferred sizes, which is a major pain in the whatnot. For example, there are several metric thread fasteners on a Defender with a 12mm AF head instead of a 13mm AF head.

On Defenders we have the additional thrill of still having Unified and British Standard thread forms. Your front axle, for example, has a bizarre combination of metric standard, UNF and BSF threads, all of which require different size spanners!

Further compounded when the fitting involves a nut and bolt & the bolt head is a different size to the nut Big Cry

Maybe JLR have thought about the DIYer or third world countries where they do not always have multiple spanners of the same size. Rolling with laughter

That’s the American way, common sense really, so you use two different sized spanner's. Not many kits have duplicates...
Post #878300 13th Jan 2021 7:34pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
No serious LR owner has one 'kit'. Rolling with laughter Rgds.

Chris
Post #878334 13th Jan 2021 8:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12