↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Remote Battery (Jump start) Terminals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
If installing on the side of the seat box you will need to open the door to attach and use the leads. Normally this will be fine, but it may not always be practical or possible. Front seat box mounted does not need a door to be opened and cable can be routed through a window. This is where mine is (although I use an Anderson connector) and it does not get in the way of, or get caught by passengers.
Post #877653 11th Jan 2021 9:31am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Thinking back to the (countless) times I have jump-started vehicles over the last four or five decades, I can say with some confidence that in the majority of cases when space has been tight it has been necessary to have the vehicles end-on to each other, rather than side-by-side. For this reason I would prefer to have a connection point that allowed end-on connection without the need for an open door.

The great advantage of the traditional location of most vehicle batteries in the engine compartment is that it allows both end and side access, and if I was fitting connection studs I would probably try to fit them there.
Post #877666 11th Jan 2021 10:44am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
I would mount them in the engine bay a little like Bmw does the battery is in the boot but they have posts under the engine bay to allow for jump starting if needed Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #877668 11th Jan 2021 11:03am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
It’s clear we all have different options that suit our needs. All appear to be sensible options.

Lots of OE remotes are in the engine bay because they have been designed and installed there from build. On the Defender the seat box is easy as the battery is only inches away so you don’t need any complicated routing of cables.

If anyone has one on the seat front that doesn’t interfere with passengers, would you share a photo pls?

Thanks Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #877685 11th Jan 2021 12:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tegner

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
jump start
Also using a Noco boost for jump starting and a Noco 70 charger i replaced the connectors on both and fitted Anderson plugs i have a pair of leads from the battery behind the passenger seat fitted with an Anderson plug, also have a pair of jump leads one end Anderson the other end crocodile clips in case i need it for one of our other cars.
Post #877692 11th Jan 2021 1:06pm
blackwolf

I have and Anderson SB175 on the front of the battery box, which can be used for jump starting with or without the use of a 10m long, 50mm^2 extension cable set. The latter allows the use of the winch and/or Swinglift on my IW LM640, both of which can also be powered off their own battery, and I have a shorter set of similar extension cables to use with a receiver-mounted rear winch on the defender.

I can jump start (or be jumped from) a vehicle up to about 15 metres or so away from the Defender in any direction.

I also use a CTEK charger which is connected via a CTEK socket straight to the battery (via a fuse, of course).

It is not difficult at all to run a set of HD cables from the battery box to the engine bay, there are unused blanking plugs on the battery box that fill holes that can be used for the purpose if you are averse to drilling.
Post #877693 11th Jan 2021 1:15pm
blackwolf

Race.it wrote:
I would mount them in the engine bay a little like Bmw does the battery is in the boot but they have posts under the engine bay to allow for jump starting if needed

I helped someone with a flat battery in some model of BMW back in the summer. The battery was in the boot but the boot couldn't be opened with a flat battery since it required power for the latch. Fortunately the bonnet could be opened.

It's worth remembering on a Defender that if the battery is totally flat the central locking won't work, so unless your driver's door lock works manually you may have a problem.
Post #877694 11th Jan 2021 1:18pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Many thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions regarding the location of remote battery terminals. I initially liked the idea of mounting them at the side of the seat though on further investigation I decided that they would be a very tight fit and so discounted this location. It left me with somewhere under the bonnet, near to the front of the vehicle inside or on the front of the seat/battery box. I took on board Blackwolf's point about jump starting other vehicles but I wouldn't be doing this as I already have a Noco GB70 Lithium starter for starting other vehicles. The whole point of me having remote terminals was so I could connect the Noco without having to take out the seat base, remove the steel cover and pull the "carpet" out of the way to jump start my own vehicle. With regards to charging, I use a Ctek smart charger connected through the 13 pin tow socket so I will only ever be using the remote terminals for the Noco. (I don't have a winch or compressor so I think an Anderson would be overkill). Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #877742 11th Jan 2021 4:44pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Just out of interest, those of you that have a remote battery connection of some sort, how have you wired it? Both cables to the battery, earth to the chassis or something else entirely? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #877748 11th Jan 2021 5:20pm
Tegner

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Both cables to the battery each cable inside flexible a conduit
Post #877752 11th Jan 2021 5:31pm
blackwolf

^^^ This.
Post #877785 11th Jan 2021 7:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Thanks, chaps Smile Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #877808 11th Jan 2021 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12