Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
PeterA

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 PU Fuji White
Gear selector no bias position
Hi,
New member and new to Defenders.

Purchased a 2007 defender last November from none agency garage. Had slight problem with clutch grabbing when pedal fully down but ok mid point. Vehicle returned under warranty and fault traced to clutch spring. Since the repair to the clutch, gear selection is a bit of a problem as the gear stick is not bias to the 3/4 gear position. It takes a little bit of hunting to find 3rd from 2nd and 4th from 5th gears. The selection was fine before it went into the work shop. The garage is some 100 miles away and I don't want to go all the way down if its a fix that I can undertake.
I have spoken to a few garages around my area and none have the experience of the 2007 defender.
I spoke yesterday to the mechanic who worked on the clutch and he mentioned that to get the box out he removed the four Torx screws from the gear selector and removed the whole shift mechanism. The hand book states the selector housing is to be removed complete with the gear selector stick.

I assume that by removing the selector stick, the setting of the bias point has been changed.

Has any one any experience on this unit and a means to reset it? Is it possible that a spring may have been lost when it was pulled out? I can find no exploded diagram of the gear selector unit.
thanks in advance
Post #500933 5th Feb 2016 5:12pm
Gaz

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
Hi and welcome to the forum.If you look at the gear shift Topix at top of first page by Site admin Martin K,this shows in pics the gear shift assembly and the torx screws.Is the bite point too low now with a new clutch,is it dragging slighty,it may need adjusting,you can do this under the bonnet at the back of the clutch pedal.Good luck. Thumbs Up
Post #500942 5th Feb 2016 5:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PeterA

Thanks for quick reply,

I have looked at the topic but it does not show the insides of the gear shift if you remove the 4 torx screws (not the transfer selector). Its these screws that the mechanic took out and then removed the selector stick.

As for the clutch, yes the clutch release is lower than previously but there is no drag, I am slowly getting use to changing gear without the bias but if anyone else gets into drive it they will have problems, just ask my father in law! Good theft prevention Surprised ??
Post #500944 5th Feb 2016 6:08pm
Rickydodah

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic29132.html

Have a look at this post as it gives you a good idea of how the linkages work. All I've ever done is selected third gear and installed gear stick in this position and tightened screws whilst it's in the third gear position. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #500953 5th Feb 2016 6:33pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
308-561 ALIGNER GBP £4.21 per unit

TO SET SELECTOR LEVER IN CORRECT POSITION ON ASSEMBLY

https://jlrequipment.service-solutions.com...mVID=47640
Post #501088 5th Feb 2016 11:00pm
PeterA

Supacast,
Thanks for the post in regards to the alignment tool, I was wondering where I could get one after seeing it in the manual.

Rickdodah,

Unless I am missing something the link posted only shows the removal of the selector unit by loosening the four nuts and fitting two spaces, it does not show what lies below the gear selector stick secured by the 4 Torx screws.
If you have removed just the stick are there any springs etc that I should look out for?
Post #501148 6th Feb 2016 8:50am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Go here and you can get the full workshop manual & parts catalogue downloaded and see the details for yourself:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=4BC2D89C85C7...9C85C7C171

courtesy of our own dgardel Thumbs Up
Post #501198 6th Feb 2016 10:07am
Rickydodah

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Relevant pages from wsm if they're of help, as far as I can recall under the four torx screws is a spring loaded plastic cage which fits around a ball on the lever. Whenever I've removed this all I've done is select third gear and held the lever in the third gear position when tightening the screws. I've never seen the special tool in operation but suspect all it does is hold the lever as I've said. Someone who has used it may be able to clarify, but certainly the trick is to be in third gear. Thumbs Up I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #501230 6th Feb 2016 11:39am
PeterA

Hi everyone,

I have now had chance to look at the problem and removed the four torx screws and lifted the assembly out. Nothing un-toward found so put it back together only to find the problem still existed. However I slackened the torx screws and the gear lever moved into the correct position. It would seem that when the torx screws are tightened fully they cover clamps down on the ball assembly. Leaving them slackened of a fraction allows the lever to align with 3rd and 4th. I wondered if the mechanic has left out a gasket or spacer when re-assembling the unit?
Post #517082 23rd Mar 2016 5:19pm
Rory2013puma

United Kingdom 
Resurrection of an old thread but....
Hi, did you ever resolve this? I have just changed my clutch slave cylinder amongst other things and I have this exact problem. With the 4 torx screws slightly backed off everything feels as it should,with them tightened up the gear leaver doesn't spring back to the mid position making driving it a nightmare. Its so stiff that it's hard to tell the difference between selecting 1st and reverse.... it seems a shim or gasket would cure the issue but there wasn't one there before so must be a problem somewhere else? Any help?
Post #877011 8th Jan 2021 10:24am
PeterA

Hi,

Sorry I should have posted a result.

Backing off the Torx head screws a little did allow the bias to return. I drove around for a month with them backed off. Then I tightened them back up and the bias was back. Don't know what was cured but all is well now. Hope this sorts you out as well I know what a bind it was selecting gears. No garage could advice me on the problem

Peter
Post #877025 8th Jan 2021 11:45am
llessur

United Kingdom 
That plastic cage can get crushed if the torx screws are tightened without the selector in to correct position. If this happens you get the symptoms you describe. A sure fire confirmation is if you then loosen the screws, the correct feeling returns. I suggest you examine the plastic cage if you experience this
Post #877044 8th Jan 2021 1:37pm
Rory2013puma

United Kingdom 
Thank you both. I will examine the cage again and be sure to assemble it with the gearbox in 3rd. I wasn't aware of this when I reinstalled it before, just dropped it in and gave it a test, was all good so tightened the screws.... at that stage in the slave/clutch replacement i was just keen to have the job finished so didn't pay it too much attention.
perhaps its damaged now - should really get a workshop manual!
Thanks again. Will post any findings if they turn out to be in any way interesting.
Post #877111 8th Jan 2021 5:03pm
tuli108

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Fuji White
sorry, just a sidekick from a new member. If you are struggling with the original selector parts, just think about conversion to slickshift. Mine is from 2015 and with 45tkm there was no real need, but result doubled the fun to drive the Landy. Breaking the plastic parts, wobbly gear-change, touching your coffee cup, rattling in 6th gear - this is over now. Changed everything in neutral position, was very easy. In addition, installed the power spring also, but effect on the 2015 model was minor.
Post #877390 10th Jan 2021 7:57am
simond

United Kingdom 
I have had the seized gear lever problem yesterday while replacing my clutch. Not a job I’d do again...

Anyway at 10pm I just had to put it all together in the cab, and the most difficult thing was the gear lever.

After assembling and reassembling a few times I realised this 3rd gear thing is a red herring.

What you have to do is take the plastic cup out of the gearbox itself, fit it around the steel ball on the very end of the gear selector.

If you don’t do this the plastic gearlever mounting will rise up causing misalignment.

So what is the deal with 3rd gear? You will find when the box is in 3rd the selector and the access hole line up easier, this makes keeping the plastic cage aligned around the metal ball easier as you lower it in.

It would be really useful if the manuals told you to fit the plastic cage over the end of the metal ball, that’s two hours of my life gone. Simon D
Post #884368 10th Feb 2021 10:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>