↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Music from USB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
39Steps

Music from USB
Hi,

I have read the forum for a while but this is a first post. I am hoping someone can help with an annoying issue which I am not sure is an issue with my 2020 Defender, Windows Media Player in Windows 10 or the Scandisk 64Gb USB Flashdrive.

Ripped CD's using WMP then synced with the Flashdrive. Defender sees each album and plays tracks however within each album the tracks are played alphabetically rather than numerically.

I can find nothing in icontrol. Having looked on the internet the issue does seem to be quite common but there are so many suggestions as to fixes I am not too sure where to start or if the issue is actually Pivipro.

I appreciate anyone's help and advice. Thank you
Post #875915 2nd Jan 2021 7:29pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I think the problem comes in when you rip the songs from CD. The track number needs to be at the start of the track name if you want them to play in the album order. Maybe look at the settings of the software you use to rip the cds. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #875966 2nd Jan 2021 10:29pm
39Steps

Thanks for the reply Bluest, I have the track number at the start of the file name but I will try adding it to the track name field and see if that helps.

WMP doesn't seem to have any other options available, well there may be but I cannot find them! Certainly does seem to be a problem many others are experiencing when playing music in a car via USB rather than direct from a phone.

Thanks again.
Post #876028 3rd Jan 2021 12:55pm
Tim in Scotland

With RRS and Evoque there used to be problems using pen drive/ memory sticks directly in the USB slot, mostly anything over 16GB (IIRC, it might have less) couldn’t be used due to limitations in the system also quite a few brands just wouldn’t work properly. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #876057 3rd Jan 2021 2:40pm
39Steps

Thanks Tim for the reply I appreciate the info. The USB flashdrive works fine in all respects other than ordering tracks in each album alphabetically rather than the numerical track order.

There is a lot of info on various forums where the issue occurs for many, but I have not found a definitive way to actually sort it. When the dealer reopens this week I will ask them, as I said in my original post there is nothing in the iguide. I am reading about ID tags and have downloaded a suggested tool to assist (MP3tag) but it is a little bit out of my league as to how to use it, as I am not too sure what I need to change.

As suggested I am going to add numerical references before the track name and try that, it very cold here today and keep going out to the car to try it is not appealing currently!
Post #876058 3rd Jan 2021 2:47pm
Sepp

Germany 
There's a feature for the media player to rename tracks automatically. Remember to have had this on some ripping software automatically fetching track names etc. from the internet. This might ruin your efforrt of manually numbering tracks. Haven't tried myself though. Just a guess.
Post #876305 4th Jan 2021 9:22pm
39Steps

Thanks Sepp for the reply.

An update if anyone is interested or if anyone experiences the same problem - Windows Media Player rips the CD's and adds the track number, beginning 01, to the file name, it does not add the number to the track title. It is the track title which Pivi pro audio uses/ or the Scandisk usb flashdrive (I have no way of currently confirming which) hence the order is alphabetical as there is not numeric reference.

Using MP3tag software I added a numeric track number at the beginning of each track title (there are batch options in MP3tag but I didn't use them). A 3 digit number is required so starting 001 etc. Once this is completed the tracks per CD play in the correct order rather than alphabetically.

The next thing to do is add additional CD's to the flashdrive and see if I can automatically add the numbers as the CD's are ripped. I will try in WMP, but have also downloaded Mediamonkey which seems to have more options available than WMP.

Life would have been easier with a CD player Very Happy
Post #876306 4th Jan 2021 9:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1