↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 18 mth Report
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
18 mth Report
Well it is now 18 months since my 90 XS was delivered to the dealer. I purchased it as an ex-demo with 900 on the clock ( Dealer was Stratstone in Park Lane, London ) nearest off-road was the curb outside the dealer.
During that time it has covered 15,000 miles in UK and France. It is my daily drive to the Hospital and used each and every day. Green laneing also figures in the mix as does motorway.
Mechanical Problems - None
Warranty Work identified by Dealer - Stratstones in Cardiff
1.Replace front mud flap brackets - rust
2.Replace Headlight Bezels - rust
3.Replace 1 hinge bolt on rear door - rust
4.Replace front door check straps - wouldn't hold doors open
5.Adjust windscreen wipers
6.Small leak via floor pan rivet in rear - fixed with underseal by moi.
Average milage 27.1 mpg - better than my previous vehicle RX8.
No transmission backlash - gearbox copes with my racing changes.
I don't spare the horses and prefer to be at the front of the que rather than the back.
10 mile drive to hospital along country A & B roads takes 14 mins drive to carpark ( at 3am of course ).
I love it. It's proper driving, and despite the £460 road tax I've saved £780 to date on tyres compared to the RX8. Insurance the same as RX8.
As long as my ageing bones allow me to get in the cab I'll be driving a Defender - Hopefully this one. Milestone Thumbs Up Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #87383 3rd Sep 2011 11:24am
wslr

United Kingdom 
Re: 18 mth Report
WelshGas wrote:
I don't spare the horses and prefer to be at the front of the que rather than the back.

Laughing Very well put. Rolling with laughter

Nice to know though, but concerned about the rust aspect on the body parts. Is the chassis and underside holding up well to the vast volumes of road salt used over the last 18 months?

Land Rover have been a bit up and down over the years with the whole rust thing. My 16 year old p38 Range Rover that I sold yesterday had no rust at all under the vehicle, yet early L322, Discovery 2 and 3 and RRS get exceptionally rusty on the chassis subframes, final drive and suspension components. Of course this could have been due to the engine oil leaks washing the p38's chassis with escaping 15w-40. Wink
Post #87387 3rd Sep 2011 11:44am
WelshGas

Everything else is fine. Chassis etc: is fine - but then I have used Waxoyl and ACF-50 very liberally but hadn't done the Headlight Bezels which I have just liberally dosed with ACF, this morning in fact.Mud flap brackets always tend to rust, had it before on other vehicles and usually I just remove them treat with wire brush and Ku-rust then Hammerit. Would have done it this time but Dealer beat me to it. Will probably fit Stainless steel brackets when out of warranty. Likewise I would replace the door hinge bolts but just 1 had a spot of rust - the rest are pristine.
On the Alfa I had before -rear hatch was re-sprayed x2 in the first 4 months. RX8 had rust on sill at 6 mths fixed by dealer, Mitsubishi Sport Estate blew the ECU and on board computer due to water leaks around windscreen at 11 mths. No car, that I can afford or want, is perfect, but at least you can see all the major components on a Defender and hopefully keep the Rust Genie at bay. I've had a S11 and S111 in the past and the Puma is much more refined and can be used as an everyday drive but still retains the Land Rover / Defender ethos. Thumbs Up LANDYWATCH

Post #87399 3rd Sep 2011 1:34pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Always nice to read positive comments, you only usually get to hear of problems like any other car forum Thumbs Up
Post #87426 3rd Sep 2011 4:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WelshGas

Too true Zagato. Thought it was abut time we looked on the positive side. Rolling with laughter LANDYWATCH

Post #87434 3rd Sep 2011 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1