↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Site News & Feedback > Classifieds question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MussEd

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Baltic Blue
Classifieds question
What’s the script with ‘first dibs’ etc on For Sale threads? On other forums I’ve used it’s always been the person to respond first in the actual FS thread who had first refusal - I think this was for reasons of clarity. Lately there’s been a couple of times, that I’ve noticed, that the person who has secured the item wasn’t the first to respond.

Now it may be that they sent the seller a PM straight off the bat - is that way it’s done? I missed out last week on something but I can’t see anything in the classified rules to confirm or deny. I’m not stirring anything just checking for future ref if I need to go straight to PMs...
Post #873967 21st Dec 2020 12:41pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
There's no rule on this because it's utterly impossible to enforce - how am I supposed to force someone to sell something to a particular person?

However, there is etiquette over handling sales, where it would expected for the first to say they want it to get it, but given that not all communication is done in public, again impossible to check that this is happening. But I believe this happens in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Very, very few complaints regarding this in 16 years of running all the forums so it's not something I'm going to wade into and throw rules at.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #873972 21st Dec 2020 12:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MussEd

Oops. Didn’t meant to upset you - just a quick question. No complaints and certainly wasn’t asking anything of you as a moderator/forum host.
Post #874079 21st Dec 2020 10:25pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Not upset at all Thumbs Up It's a fair comment as there's no mention of this in the forum rules Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #874081 21st Dec 2020 10:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As a personal view from one who has both bought and sold stuff through the forum and undoubtedly will do both again in the future, if I am selling then the pecking order is the order people contact me, irrespective of how they contact me, and if buying I generally expect the same to be the case. Usually if buying I will PM the seller in the first instance, and then (if I remember) just add a "PM sent" post to the thread.

I don't really go with the "dibs" thing, I think the last time I did that I was aged about six! Rolling with laughter
Post #874084 21st Dec 2020 10:38pm
MussEd

Oh I agree about the actual act of saying ‘first dibs’ Blackwolf....But it was a bit of a Censored thinking I’d responded first to a great wee item for sale, then not hear anything until seeing a update a few days later and it had gone to someone who’d answered by PM. I’ll be answering by PM from now on though!
Post #874095 21st Dec 2020 11:01pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
blackwolf wrote:
As a personal view from one who has both bought and sold stuff through the forum and undoubtedly will do both again in the future, if I am selling then the pecking order is the order people contact me, irrespective of how they contact me, and if buying I generally expect the same to be the case. Usually if buying I will PM the seller in the first instance, and then (if I remember) just add a "PM sent" post to the thread.

I don't really go with the "dibs" thing, I think the last time I did that I was aged about six! Rolling with laughter

This. Rgds.

Chris
Post #874100 21st Dec 2020 11:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1