↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Quality Component Speakers that fit nice in the Puma Dash
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
That’s the sub I’m looking at Thumbs Up just need to work out where it will go as the space under the rear seats is jam packed with storage > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #866648 11th Nov 2020 8:57am
Tonser

United Kingdom 
Mines going under the cubby in the MudStuff sub locker.

Space in the rear of the DC is limited. I may go for 10cm mids in the sides of an extended cubby, with the focal tweeters mounted above or on the B pillars ? Or use the space in the back left and right corners to mount speaker sin pods there.

Tony
Post #866650 11th Nov 2020 9:06am
hank

Edit: double post whoops > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #866651 11th Nov 2020 9:08am
hank

Fitted my Focal ES100K components. Very happy with the clarity but agree with cold’s post in that they were extremely bright out of the box with the tweeters distorting way before the woofers. Adjusting the tweeters -3db using the crossover switches seems to have dialled them in quite nicely but I think there are further improvements to be had from tweaking the head unit EQ.

A nice little upgrade but a pair of 10cm speakers is simply not enough to fill the cab space so I do feel as though a sub is on the cards for me > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #867133 13th Nov 2020 6:39pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I have bought a pair of 10cm to go in the headlining above the b-pillar and 14cm in the corner headlining of the cab, fed off the Focal mini amp. Overall, six speakers, two tweeters, one sub, two amps. All backed up by full damping//soundproofing using a combo of silent coat, dodo mat closed cell, egg box closed cell and carpet with 5mm backing. Kenwood head unit fed from a iPad (via a cable, not BT) and using Spotify Premium for HD sound. Will be completed soon. In our DC's compact cabin I'm hoping it will be excellent......at drowning out the noise of the transmission Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #867183 13th Nov 2020 10:21pm
hank

Yesterday I fitted a focal ibus 2.1 sub using the focal iso loom which means the front components are now amped by the ibus 2.1 amp rather than the Alpine head unit. I don't really understand why or how but this arrangement has taken the front component speakers to the next level! Even with the sub turned off the front component speakers sound even better amped through the ibus 2.1 than they did amped through the Alpine head unit.

Of course the sub adds serious depth and range which I am over the moon about but I was not expecting the components to benefit from the upgrade as well so very pleased! > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #872713 13th Dec 2020 12:45pm
Tonser

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
I have bought a pair of 10cm to go in the headlining above the b-pillar and 14cm in the corner headlining of the cab, fed off the Focal mini amp. Overall, six speakers, two tweeters, one sub, two amps. All backed up by full damping//soundproofing using a combo of silent coat, dodo mat closed cell, egg box closed cell and carpet with 5mm backing. Kenwood head unit fed from a iPad (via a cable, not BT) and using Spotify Premium for HD sound. Will be completed soon. In our DC's compact cabin I'm hoping it will be excellent......at drowning out the noise of the transmission Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Hope the sounds improvements are going ok Hank. I'm just on with soundproofing the rear of my DC and adding components for the rear passengers (I must start a build thread for it !).

@Grenadier how have you mounted the 10cm speakers in the headlining ? I've got mounting pods for my 10cm audisons but yet to pull the headlining down to have a look. Are there ribs on the roof you can fix them too ?

Thanks

Tony
Post #918850 27th Aug 2021 5:54am
acnorman1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Tonser wrote:
Mines going under the cubby in the MudStuff sub locker.

Space in the rear of the DC is limited. I may go for 10cm mids in the sides of an extended cubby, with the focal tweeters mounted above or on the B pillars ? Or use the space in the back left and right corners to mount speaker sin pods there.

Tony

Let me know how you get on with this! I think it raises the cubby up quite a lot so even with the stock thin lid it’s a bit of an elbow-killer.

Currently looking at how I get a cushioned lid at the right height. Happily going to sacrifice some cubby space.
Post #929889 15th Nov 2021 9:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12