↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Aftermarket 18” wheels for New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Cobber

Australia 
@SixtyFo and @zilch I think the only way to do it legally in Aus would be to find a 3rd party caliper with the same braking force as the OEM ones and have an engineer certify the change. Otherwise I think I'm with zilch and would stick with 19" to get the extra bit of sidewall for now and hope for either better tyres to come out in that or similar size or an engineered solution if there's enough interest in the future.
Post #871052 2nd Dec 2020 11:46pm
zilch

Australia 
Quote:
get the extra bit of sidewall for now and hope for either better tyres to come out in that or similar size

i am confused by Aussie regs in regard to Tyres. I was informed that National law states you can fit a lower speed rated
tyre to your 4x4 as long as it has a higher speed rating than 140KPH, i like the look of the GY wrangler duratracs (Q=160ish)
for my tour of OZ. However NSW standards state the speed rating cannot be lower than the top speed of the vehicle,
with no mention of any get outs for 4x4's Confused So i wonder what is it, i have NSW registration and would prefer to go
the duratrac route, but as usual there is always the spectre of Insurance issues if i have to claim yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #871059 3rd Dec 2020 12:54am
Tim in Scotland

In the UK Duratracs are listed as being available in two speed rating - Q is most commonly available but they are also available with an H speed rating which would take them up to the maximum speed of the vehicle IIRC Here a Q is up to 99mph and H is up to 130mph. I have Q rating Duratracs on mine as I’m not likely to be doing too many trips here at 100mph, even 70 can be a struggle on some of the highways with the volume of traffic on them.

Off Topic
Woke up this morning to -5c and our first light sprinkle of snow, forecast is for a big dump here tomorrow though. Thank goodness the remote start is back to normal on my app and I can pre-warm the car again. I forgot to set the “Winter Park “ mode for the wipers though so I’ll be interested to see if the remote start heating is enough to defrost the lower screen where the wipes are parked.

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #871078 3rd Dec 2020 10:31am
DSL

United Kingdom 
A mere -4c this morning up in Grantown, just been out warming up the car. Was -5c a few days ago, very purty frost on Skippy’s mirrors.

Click image to enlarge
Post #871081 3rd Dec 2020 10:40am
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
In the UK Duratracs are listed as being available in two speed rating - Q is most commonly available but they are also available with an H speed rating which would take them up to the maximum speed of the vehicle IIRC Here a Q is up to 99mph and H is up to 130mph. I have Q rating Duratracs on mine as I’m not likely to be doing too many trips here at 100mph, even 70 can be a struggle on some of the highways with the volume of traffic on them.

Off Topic
Woke up this morning to -5c and our first light sprinkle of snow, forecast is for a big dump here tomorrow though. Thank goodness the remote start is back to normal on my app and I can pre-warm the car again. I forgot to set the “Winter Park “ mode for the wipers though so I’ll be interested to see if the remote start heating is enough to defrost the lower screen where the wipes are parked.

Click image to enlarge

How are the Duratracs on the ice and snow?
Post #871087 3rd Dec 2020 11:06am
J77

Scotland 
A rather scorching 1c here Laughing
Post #871090 3rd Dec 2020 11:23am
Tim in Scotland

Digger2000 wrote:
How are the Duratracs on the ice and snow?

Way too early in the day to be going out when you don’t need to Digger! The remote starter and pre-heater though has thawed the car out and I reset the temperature to achieve up from 21 to 25 and all the windows and the sunroof are now completely snow free and defrosted. I was keen to see how much fuel the remote start consumes in a cycle and did it this morning by the unscientific method of range remaining before starting and range remaining when the program shut down - I lost 3 miles range (this is like watching how running the heater in my Countryman PHEV depleted the battery!). So one cycle of the remote start uses less than 0.5ltr of fuel, around 55p! Well worth it to avoid staring outside scrapping frozen windows and clearing snow off the car and no Niagara Falls of icy water down the back of my neck like I get from the sunroof of the TDi300, and no defrosting locks like that car too Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #871091 3rd Dec 2020 11:42am
SVR

United Arab Emirates 

Click image to enlarge

Rays. Wheels 20”
Post #911928 11th Jul 2021 3:33pm
tarielk

Ukraine 
Hi! Im from Ukraine and Ive just bought my D300. All my previous cars had RAYS wheels on them and I would love to get the TE37 for my Defender, but Im a bit lost in the size, as Im new to the off road theme. Im looking at the 20 inch ones. Please could you be so kind and tell me the exact spec of yours and what did it take to make them fit. Many thanks in advance
Post #914807 30th Jul 2021 7:16pm
SVR

United Arab Emirates 
Post #914938 31st Jul 2021 7:26pm
zilch

Australia 
Cobber wrote:
@SixtyFo and @zilch I think the only way to do it legally in Aus would be to find a 3rd party caliper with the same braking force as the OEM ones and have an engineer certify the change. Otherwise I think I'm with zilch and would stick with 19" to get the extra bit of sidewall for now and hope for either better tyres to come out in that or similar size or an engineered solution if there's enough interest in the future.

Update from Andrew at Tuff Ant on the Aussie owners FB group this week is they will have a certified 18” wheel
solution for P400/D300 owners (who had factory 19/20” wheels) within the next week or so. No details yet,
so not sure if they are getting the caliper swap engineering approved for 🇦🇺 or they are doing something
magical with their 18” wheel design yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #915421 4th Aug 2021 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234