Home > General & Technical (L663) > 5 Seat Defender Rear Seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
5 Seat Defender Rear Seats
Hi

To increase boot space (for dogs) any of you figured a way to hold the rear seats in the upright position instead of the normal recline position?

I guess it would be possible to make like a fake stay - that hooks between seat back and stay... Anyone know of an off the shelf solution?

MANY THANKS
Post #870489 30th Nov 2020 1:47pm
Tim in Scotland

I must be missing something because the rear seat backs on my D240 First Edition are either up or down, there’s no means of adjusting the rake of / reclining the seat back. The only thing I could think of to achieve what you want in my case would be to get a short and a long one of those elastic straps with the hooks on each end (like a single leg of an octopus clip for those who remember those when they were used on your Dad’s car’s roof rack.......) - rig the long one to the head restarting post on the front seat and the short one back to the big P bracket that the rear seat back would normally clamp into to hold it in position. The problem would be holding the split at the 40/60 join from wobbling around if the dogs leaned on that part. Whatever you create you would have to stop the seat back from being able to move forwards or backwards and be strong enough for the weight if the dog but also not damage the seat fabric............... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #870526 30th Nov 2020 4:08pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Thanks

Yes - I was thinking of basically extending the P bracket with something - to form a longer P bracket - attached with a bolt or similar.

Something like a second P bracket bolted on that could swing ut the way to put the seats into normal position or swing in for the upright wall position.

Bungee would not be strong enough - it would need to be rigid... to resist dogs pushing on it...

I may be worrying over nothing...

The 2 St Bernard's currently fit in a custom box in a Converted Suzuki Grand Vitara - I made a 1100 x 900 3 sided box - 800 high.. that fits in with rear seats folded. - and the car is just used for the dogs..

The Defender boot with seats up would be similar - but 1100 wide - instead of deep. 900 is possible the other way - but the seat angle limits it to around 700.

I Ideally do not want to make a rigid box for the defender... prefering to use it as a car and a dog transporter... instead of having 2 cars...

But the current Dog Mobile has a few years left in it yet I hope.

Also there may be a gap at the edges with seat vertical... so may not work as planned anyway.

Just thinking when waiting delivery...
Post #870534 30th Nov 2020 4:33pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
If you have 3rd row of seats, the 2nd row has adjustable incline and can be raked forward, decreasing legroom but increasing boot space. This comes at the expense of folding completely flat (you’re compressing the back cushion against the seat base cushion).

If you have no 3rd row, the 2nd row is fixed in position and incline. The benefit is that you can lift the seat base and fold them completely flat.

I can’t see a way to fix either in an upright position as they’d be bloody uncomfortable to sit in and wouldn’t have any structural rigidity in the event of an accident - they’d try and fold forward against whoever was sitting in the 2nd row. You could probably try and retain them with straps but I’m guessing you’d use up more boot space than you liberate. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #870593 30th Nov 2020 7:48pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Thanks

99.9% time dogs are in the car with just me... so no one would need to sit in the rear seats - they are just upright - to give a little more boot space. so not worried about the rear seats being usable - just restrained - to provide a retaining wall to keep the dogs inside the boot.

THANKS
Post #870669 1st Dec 2020 5:39am
Eldoclear

Scotland 
Simon Audi wrote:
Thanks

Yes - I was thinking of basically extending the P bracket with something - to form a longer P bracket - attached with a bolt or similar.

Something like a second P bracket bolted on that could swing ut the way to put the seats into normal position or swing in for the upright wall position.

Bungee would not be strong enough - it would need to be rigid... to resist dogs pushing on it...

I may be worrying over nothing...

The 2 St Bernard's currently fit in a custom box in a Converted Suzuki Grand Vitara - I made a 1100 x 900 3 sided box - 800 high.. that fits in with rear seats folded. - and the car is just used for the dogs..

The Defender boot with seats up would be similar - but 1100 wide - instead of deep. 900 is possible the other way - but the seat angle limits it to around 700.

I Ideally do not want to make a rigid box for the defender... prefering to use it as a car and a dog transporter... instead of having 2 cars...

But the current Dog Mobile has a few years left in it yet I hope.

Also there may be a gap at the edges with seat vertical... so may not work as planned anyway.

Just thinking when waiting delivery...

We too have a St Bernard, just the one though....

Anyways he fits fine in the boot with the seats up ( we have the 5 seater) I'd have preferred the 60/40 seats as they slide back n forward a little bit - 2/3 inches I think but we have the 40/20/40 so they are fixed

Floor space is ample for him, height is very good too, but the boot is about 20cm shorter from door to seat-back than the discovery 4 we had 2 cars ago. He appears to be comfortable enough in it with room to move around, change position etc, at 93kg he needs a fair bit of space
Post #870754 1st Dec 2020 3:54pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Thanks

Both of mine are around the 65KG each...

So combined 130 KG + occassionaly the bully at 25KG - but she could always go up front... as she is an easy passenger and very infrequent... and not messy....

Would you mind snapping some photos next time he is in there - door open and closed - through glass and rear seat view?

Mine will be 5 seater so fixed

MANY THANKS
Post #870755 1st Dec 2020 4:06pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
You use a cage or just a dog guard and liner?
Post #870756 1st Dec 2020 4:07pm
Eldoclear

Scotland 
Sure thing, it will probably be weekend before he's back in it again

there's a liner on the floor but that's it, he's to big to get over the seat backs, he's a lazy sod, he doesn't even bother trying, just sticks his head between headrests every now and then when he wakes up from a snooze
Post #870757 1st Dec 2020 4:10pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Mine can be lazy... but have their mad moments.. especially the girl... she has no brain....

If they saw someone outside they would try and get up and over....

Was looking at TransK9 cage - but its only 935 wide - loose around 200 mm on width - as you need to fit it in through door.. into boot.

MANY THANKS
Post #870759 1st Dec 2020 4:17pm
DSL

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Only jealous as we lost the last of our 2 dogs almost exactly 2 years ago. Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge
Post #870763 1st Dec 2020 4:27pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
My snoozy bully and the Bernies on one of their early walks

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #870764 1st Dec 2020 4:36pm
Simon Audi

United Kingdom 
Trans K9 Cage that I was initially considering

Click image to enlarge