↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender or Discovery 5?
Which is best? New Defender or Discovery 5
Discovery 5
28%
 28%  [11]
New Defender 110
71%
 71%  [27]
Total Votes: 38

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
@marks-td5. Love that 2020... very nice Cool
Post #852428 27th Aug 2020 6:10pm
BigCol66

United Kingdom 
I was going for a D5 but when I tried the new Defender I changed my mind. So I will be in a First edition sometime in September.
Post #852447 27th Aug 2020 7:21pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I've been really holding out on the 110 having bought 5x D3/4s new since launch I didn't like the the D5 due to the loss of practicality and ruggedness. I do own one at the moment but its not as good as the D4 for our lifestyle/use case. Sadly after testing the Defender for over 4 days its a no go. We loved it but the load space is way too small for the dogs, Plan is to wait for signs of the 130 over the next 12 months. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #852466 27th Aug 2020 9:08pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Thank you for everyone’s input.

The poll came out at 10 votes for the Discovery 5, and 25 votes for the Defender.

After non stop deliberation, we’ve made a decision and that is to buy a Used 18 plate Discovery 5 SDV6 HSE now which we shall keep. In 2 years time, we’ll part ex the Freelander 2 or 3 years time for a 2 year old Defender 90! Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #852512 27th Aug 2020 11:47pm
gilesn

Hum yes - although it is against the poll - I am tending on the side of the D5.
When I compare/look at the pricing, the Defender is a costly option.
The P400 is only in 'X' spec, I have a worry that the D300 if or when it comes will be similar.
To my way of looking at it I get more car for my money in a D5 - SDV6 HSE looks a better buy?

Each to there own I guess & what the intended/actual use is - I have ot be honest my current C5 has served well in terms of achieving what I actually need.
Post #852648 28th Aug 2020 4:01pm
zilch

Australia 
Giles, some of the reports on social media suggests there will be varying outputs available
for the straight six diesels, such as D250, D300 and D350 options, so there may well be a
difference in model and of course cost options. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #852801 28th Aug 2020 10:54pm
jsinclair

Australia 
Chicken Drumstick wrote:

A friend has done essentially this. 4.4 TDV8 down to a First Edition D240 Defender. I suspect they will regret it after a while. As again the Defender and RRS are built on largely the same platform. But the RRS had a much better and more powerful engine and more plush interior.

Happy to be proven wrong, but my hunch is the new Defender will make way for something else within the next 18 months.

I can understand that view, although we'll be going for a P400 or preferably a D350 if it is available in Aus soon enough. TDV8 down to a D240 is a biiiiig step down.

Supacat wrote:

You mentioned the RRS being plush, I only found it superficially so, if you looked, not too hard, you could see where money had been saved/costs cut.

Couldn't agree with this more, although to be fair its true of most cars these days.
Post #852806 28th Aug 2020 11:38pm
gilesn

Hum - the straight 6 diesels are out quicker than i expected !!!
The D 3000 looks very tempting - both BHP & torque look good
Will have to wait till my local dealer has a demo in

Looking price wise (just a quick look so far) Defender D300 HSE vs a Disoo 5 sdv6 HSE are very close ok baring ‘extras’ so that isn’t really the big deciding factor

Test drive will be the big decider for me - all very interesting & tempting
Post #855344 10th Sep 2020 5:31pm
gilesn

Well as near as dam it a month ago I went in to look far closer at the Defender 110
Really wanted the HSE with a few extras
Started talking about the upcoming straight 6 motors but the lead time on these for me was too far off

Also the cost of the desired 110 was getting higher and higher - no great surprise !!!

Just out of interest the dealer showed me a pre reg Range Rover Westminster they had - it only had 16 miles on the clock & was available now for 2k less than the Defender 110

Couple of days later and a test drive and I was sold
So goodbye D5 hello full fat Westminster

So far really enjoying!!!!
Post #870287 29th Nov 2020 5:54pm
nihwrd

I've just got rid of my beloved 2.4 Tdci 90 and looked very hard at new 110 before opting for a MY18 D5 HSE. The new 90 wasn't available and (oddly) didn't really appeal to me.

I really loved the 110 SE I had for an extended test drive, but just couldn't justify the cost for the spec I wanted so thought I'd wait for for 2/3 year old one. Of course, JLR's decision to make the initial versions obsolete overnight (by replacing the engines) will make for an interesting residual value market.

I was also a bit worried by the "never fly in the A model of any aircraft" mindset and JLR's reputation for its inability to field a new vehicle without list of defects. Hence the go for a nearly new D5 with (hopefully) all the teething problems dealt with.

I do love my D5 btw, and time will tell whether I stick to my original plan and look for a 110 in 3 years time!

Nick
Post #871273 4th Dec 2020 12:56pm
martinf

United Kingdom 
My dilemma is slightly different. I am on my 5th Range Rover, an L405 which is just 5 years old so getting to the point where I am thinking of changing it but am wondering whether to get a well specced Defender instead.
Our usage has slowly changed and the Rangie is mainly used to dog walk, drive round shoots and tow horses so less need for luxury limo and more for something practical.
I have yet to sit in or drive an L663 but it is definitely on my list for careful consideration.
Post #871274 4th Dec 2020 1:21pm
C&M

United Kingdom 
RDR wrote:
I've been really holding out on the 110 having bought 5x D3/4s new since launch I didn't like the the D5 due to the loss of practicality and ruggedness. I do own one at the moment but its not as good as the D4 for our lifestyle/use case. Sadly after testing the Defender for over 4 days its a no go. We loved it but the load space is way too small for the dogs, Plan is to wait for signs of the 130 over the next 12 months.

similar thoughts, had 4 D3/4's and loved all of them. tried to get a late 66 plate as I needed to change mine and failed so bought a D5 HSE Lux, its OK for the gadgets I find the ride hard on the 22 inch wheels but the rear space for the dog and kit is much smaller. if we go away with the dog I have to put a carrier on the back for luggage
the passenger space including the middle row is a lot bigger than the D4 IMO and all electric seats is nice.

I looked at the new 110 and its even smaller in the boot so went for a 14 plate 110 for camping but very keen to see what the new 130 looks like when they are released Defender D250 HSE
Dender 110 XS - sadly gone
VW Polo
VW Caravelle - Gen 6
Post #871284 4th Dec 2020 2:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12