↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Spare wheel bike rack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
c4skp

United Kingdom 
Spare wheel bike rack.
Have been trying to come up with the best method for carrying my bike. Not sure how to include the wine family, as moving from a pickup to a defender with no tow bar. But the spare ride is working after some initial modification.

Click image to enlarge

The plate would hold the wheel too far from the mount, due to the indent on the frame. I had a new plate made, which also includes 2 more threads so I have all wheel nuts now.

Click image to enlarge

I just also need to get a 4 bike rack for the Mrs car, so been an expensive bike change.

Click image to enlarge
Post #868924 22nd Nov 2020 11:02am
c4skp

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge
Post #868925 22nd Nov 2020 11:10am
bmw77

United Kingdom 
Hows the spareride working out for you now.. just looking for the same solution and weighing up between a spareride and a Saris Freedom
Post #910947 6th Jul 2021 9:33am
Tim in Scotland

Do be careful about hanging things off the spare as the load limit on its mounting and the door hinges isn’t much. Have you though about a small trailer with cross bars and bike holders on it? I added something very similar to this to my IW P100 box trailer with modified ladder racks to carry 5 windsurfers above the bikes when a group of us used to go out to Tiree for a couple of weeks and only really needed 1 car and a trailer rather than pay for 4 cars on the ferry. This rack is for a pick up but easily modified for a small trailer. I’ve since sold the rack to a young lad who mounted it in the back of his VW Transporter van.
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #910970 6th Jul 2021 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1