Home > In Car Electronics > Illuminated switches
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
Illuminated switches
Hi there,

I've got some switches in my defender like the one on the right to operate fog lights. They are mounted in a console to the right of the heater control witches, just by the window. I thought this was a MUD accessory, but I can;t find it on their website. The problem is I can't see the unlit switches in the dark. I know where they are of course, but I have 5 in a row.

Of course the little LED only lights up when the switch is on.

I was wondering if I can wire the switch up so that the little LED light is on all the time. Anyone know if that is possible?

I doubt it to be honest without taking the switch apart, and that will release all the springs and magic, and it will never go back together again. It has three pins at the back.

Failing that, I might set up a "dull" light to illuminate that section of the dash.

(My ideal plan would be to replace my switches with some like the one on the left, mask off a picture of a fog light or whatever, spray them black and then remove the mask. With the light permanently on of course.)

Can't change the switch type because of the holes I've drilled in the panel. [/img]
Post #868828 21st Nov 2020 6:16pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It's very unlikely without dismantling the switch, unfortunately. I think you'll have the same problem with the switch on the left, too. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #868839 21st Nov 2020 6:56pm
Ashbyandy

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Hi Martyn,

If it’s a 3 wire switch, one wire will be earth (negative). The others would be 12v in, and switch 12v out, which also should illuminate the LED when on. So in my reckoning, if you swap these 2 wires around, the LED will always be on. I’ve got similar in the back panel above the rear door, for a rear work light. Hope I’m right,

Ashby Andy 🤞
Post #868844 21st Nov 2020 7:12pm
Martyn668

United Kingdom 
I've got a couple of spare switches, so I might try it on a bench. They're only a couple of quid each.
Post #868892 22nd Nov 2020 12:08am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
In modern cars they have an LED in the roof console. This shines onto the switches. The switches look like they actually illuminate but they don't, it is the light from above that comes on with the light switch. You don't realise until you block the light from above with your hand.

Perhaps this could be an option. You would have to find a suitable location and and also a suitable led. As for electricery, that is definitely not my field!!
Post #868984 22nd Nov 2020 4:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1