↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Fuel starvation under max load
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-PRC3901P--S...gLAxvD_BwE

this is the item, no link to them so use MPN and check for other prices/suppliers etc

just put 12v ign to it and plumb into fuel system where lift pump is currently. will need some fuel pipe and small clamps to fit it over existing feed/return to mechanical lift pump. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #860608 9th Oct 2020 10:04am
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Great thanks guys.
Going to play about with it this week, only pain is its hard to test as I cant recreate it on my drive... I reckon indeed either new sender too long, I might put the old one back in. Will put in the old filter which was fine and only replaced as a service item. I have a good old lift pump too.

Was considering doing an electric lift pump at some point so thats ideal having that link to the Duralift there.

I think the alt is fine - but I can see the belt is a bit worn so will replace that and check alt for any binding or roughness while doing it.

Only just got most of KORC mud off of the vehicle - just blocked my bloody drains up so will sort that and try a few things on the car this week!

Cheers , will report back as I play... Insta: @thebenjordan4x4
Post #860980 11th Oct 2020 2:33pm
Low Boxer

United States 1990 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Nato Green
If this problem began after you changed your tank, i would go back and examine your installation. You are describing fuel starvation. Intermittent starvation usually means somethings floating around in the tank - especially if it gets worse with full throttle. I always clean out new tanks prior to installation because i've had this issue before. Also make sure you change out your filter after fitting a new tank because the old leaker usually is a gateway for contamination especially water. Common issues are mixing up the return and intake pipes, or a poor fitting aftermarket sender/intake unit that is bottoming out in the tank. As far as lift pumps, The Tdi will run on a failing pump but will like to stall at idle and struggle up steep hills. I cannot think how electronics are related, but maybe. In my experience when the alternator has seizures they are not silent. You can usually hear it squeal. Check for a poor battery ground. Good luck.
Post #860992 11th Oct 2020 3:10pm
I Like Old Skool

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi ST Coniston Green
Horneteer wrote:
My money's on the lift pump

I had a 300 tdi disco with a delphi lift pump. There's a screw in the centre of the top cap, so you can take the cap off to clean the filter strainer that you don't know is there Rolling Eyes . I had similar symptoms when the strainer was blocked with goo.

'You don't know is there' Laughing

This is so true as I suffered it earlier this year. Sudden onset of power loss and stalling during an afternoon. Suspected lift pump so removed it and found it wasn't working anyway. Turns out the 300tdi will run perfectly happily without a working lift pump, but not when the 'secret' nylon gauze inside is blocked with gunk. Cleaned it and refitted then ran like a dream until the working replacement arrived and was fitted.

Funny thing is, I've been messing about with landrovers for years and never heard of this gauze or had problems before. Pretty sure it isn't mentioned in any service schedules?
Post #868214 18th Nov 2020 10:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12