↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > OTA Updates
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
OTA Updates
Didn’t know where to put this post as I don’t want to be critical of the new Defender owners.

Why are you allowing OTA updates to be installed in YOUR vehicle. You haven’t a clue as to what LR in their wisdom are doing to your vehicle or whether you want the alleged upgrades.

This applies of course to all “smart “ technology.
I had problems with a smart TV. Bought it for a specific feature, which stopped working after two weeks of ownership. An automatic OTA upgrade, which was set by default. Soon stopped that, and managed to uninstall the “upgrade”

Perhaps better posted in the grumpy old man section, but would be interested in your views.

Stephen
Post #867859 17th Nov 2020 9:30am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I agree wholeheartedly.
Why are we assuming that updates to vehicle software are no more likely to cause problems that updates to software in our computers?
Worse still, what happens when your vehicle's software is considered obsolete?

As if by magic: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic75500.html
Post #867865 17th Nov 2020 10:14am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Since last july when my wife’s Velar had the software updated at the service to allow OTA updates there has been two updates.

Both for mapping. No issues.

A modern phone will have App updates almost weekly so nothing to be concerned about.

If you feel that it has not performed as it should then take it to the dealer, it will be under warrantee.

The unanswered question is what happens when it is in the hands of a third or fourth owner when the update service is no longer available. Will it be like phones ie forcing the owner to get a newer version.....

For the new owner it is not worth losing sleep over, and if you think about it OTA could allow monthly updates, whereas a dealer update at the time of a service is every two years (for a modern LR). The average new car is kept for three / four years. That’s one perhaps two updates.

A dealer update can take much longer if there are multiple updates to do as well, it all takes time, so what would you say is more convenient to the consumer ..
Post #867877 17th Nov 2020 11:17am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I agree with markb110. Remote updates are the way everything is going so why would cars be any different? I can see no reason to stress about them.

Now, AMBxx has a very fair comment, like all things 'computerised' they will have a shelf life and at some point JLR (or any other manufacturer) will stop their support as the technology ages.

See Windows XP and Windows 7 for details!

Like the computer operating systems, I expect the cars will run adequately without intervention and updates. Whether the technology remains secure, would be another question.

But, what would stop the manufacturers sending updates which made the car 'less responsive'? In the same way we were told that Apple slowed the older iPhones down a few years back. Apple are in the business of selling Phones, car manufactures want to sell Cars. It's a sure fire way of getting you to change if you daily runner has the blue screen of death on a regular basis.

Not that I am implying that this is what motor manufacturers would do Whistle
Post #867891 17th Nov 2020 1:05pm
AMBxx

Didn't Tesla turn off the seat heating for the seats in the back?
Other manufacturers are looking at turning stuff on and off remotely. Depends if you want to 'own' the vehicle or just rent/lease it.
Post #867911 17th Nov 2020 4:11pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I hope JLR aren't using the same type of memory that Tesla started with "which has a finite number of write cycles, and secondly they left on excessive data logging that wrote to this memory. As a result the memory is constantly being over written and as a result will eventually hit the write limit and fail."

https://tesla-info.com/blog/tesla-mcu1-emmc-failure.php
Post #868051 18th Nov 2020 10:39am
Tim in Scotland

AMBxx wrote:
Didn't Tesla turn off the seat heating for the seats in the back?
Other manufacturers are looking at turning stuff on and off remotely. Depends if you want to 'own' the vehicle or just rent/lease it.

They did foe Model3 and Model Y and then they asked for £300 to switch it back on! They also sent out Lane Keep Assist to S and X owners without telling them and folks thought that they a]had a defect. James May and Transport Minister Grant Shapps were both reported in last Sunday’s Sunday Times complaining about both items! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #868057 18th Nov 2020 10:56am
AMBxx

Supacat wrote:
I hope JLR aren't using the same type of memory that Tesla started with "which has a finite number of write cycles, and secondly they left on excessive data logging that wrote to this memory. As a result the memory is constantly being over written and as a result will eventually hit the write limit and fail."

https://tesla-info.com/blog/tesla-mcu1-emmc-failure.php

All it would take to fix that would be to have swappable SD cards or SSD drives. I wonder how much LR would charge for a £50 SSD?
Post #868061 18th Nov 2020 11:07am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There is no excuse for this as memory is as cheap as chips these days.

This reminds me of a Vauxhall Astra I had 20 odd years ago. It would run like a dog and the engine light would illuminate. Turning the car on and off would reset the issue. It was random and a pain in the bum.

The main dealers told me there were no faults to read when I took it in as it could only remember codes from the last twenty turns of the ignition key. I was a service engineer. My car was turned on and off twenty times in a morning! When I phoned to book it in, they would give me a date about ten days time. Absolutely useless!

But then that was twenty years ago. On a £50000 car these days, you would expect something with more than a 1.44MB floppy disk? Abort, retry, fail?

As I said earlier, the cynical one's among you may think that the manufacturers may start sending out 'less useful' code as your car gets older to remind you to get a new one?

From what I have heard on the news today, the environmentalists may try and turn your petrol / diesel car off in ten years time to make you buy an EV Rolling with laughter
Post #868065 18th Nov 2020 11:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1