↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Power loss, sporadic, but think getting worse
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
big green machine

hi, brake diagnostic switch is more trouble than its worth, i hard wired mine, what scan tool is that im looking for something with like the hawkeye total.
Post #866350 9th Nov 2020 7:54pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
The scan tool that I am using is the nanocom (used to have a fault mate with my defender)

So still have the issue after topping up the water but we are now not allowed to go out of the town you live in, so was going to change the fuel filter before the weekend as we had planed a trip out but the local politician has canned that for us.

May still change the fuel filter and wait for the next drive in 2 weeks time (300km round trip coming up) mainly motorway but can still get it to do the hesitation on the motorway, by lifting the throttle and then reapplying some times.

I want to think it’s the vcv but trying to do the easy items flrst. Even though it does not look that tricky to change. You never know I now have no way to go out next weekend so maybe bored that I do the vcv and the filter at the same time. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #866361 9th Nov 2020 8:29pm
big green machine

no better time to get that old rattly clutch out than when the police state bring out check points and tazers,
i once put a all makes fuel filter in and after striping all fuel suppy down looking for a fault it was the brand new filter constructed cruedly with glue driping down indide it obstructing flow, i just looked at your codes some some dont make sence to me, the turbo high and low i presume is the acurator arm sticking, i manipulate mine by hand as frequently as looking at the oil, i think your solution will be found in the live sensor imformation, all pray for lorry man to manifest, hes the man.
Post #866377 9th Nov 2020 9:13pm
Race.it

So today was the turn of the diesel filter, replaced for a original land rover part.

Due to the local lockdown in andalucia I can not take it on a trip till next weekend, but I did test it still starts 😂

Click image to enlarge

I have also got the old fuel out of the old filter, looks ok to me, no crud, think the filter is actually quite new

Click image to enlarge

Anybody got an idea of which make this filter is?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think I’ll still have the issue on the next trip due to the look of the filter I think maybe the garage or owner before me possibly knew of the issue and changed the filter. As don’t see a fuel filter on the last entry in the service history.

How long can the vcv valves last being broken? Before they really break and attempt to leave me stranded? Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #867501 15th Nov 2020 1:10pm
big green machine

hi looks like a comon all garden generic fuel filter, best avoided,. how long dose a vcv go on for.. how long is a bit of string, when you fix that truck youl be a better man than the guy who sold it, who couldnt fix it, ive had an anoyind limp mode , power loss, in cold weather for 7 years, im only now geting live data streaming diagnosis, it bafles me, no mil light, i switch it of and restart it while crusing along and fullpower is back, its often near high voltage power lines, and after backing of the acecelarator going down a hill. there was a ecu patch to adress this sort of glitch, Q068V, I wold be realy gratefull if some one could detail the tecnical imfomation this modifies, so i can manipulate the relavant sensor input to rectify the glitch, no way am i going to get my ecu programed by landrover, they have changed the update atleast 7 times, and i have heard a lot of complaints about the change it made to their vieachales. one thing about filters, good old mechanics would find the root of the problem instead of changing lots of sensors, cuting one open to find green black algal sludge, or a defect to the construction of the filter, also imformation on the health of the engien identifing metal particals from the injector return. and not every one knows theirs a fine guase in the filter boddy mouting head. if your stobourn like me, youl fix it, and learn more about trucks, tools, and your own capabilitys, Thumbs Up
Post #867773 16th Nov 2020 8:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I've never heard of a VCV leaving anyone stranded, but they can make proceeding intolerable.
Post #867784 16th Nov 2020 9:12pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
^^^^ This, can come and go but over time gets more regular and worse. Typically when on the cold side and improves or goes away when not.

A dodgy VCV reduces power at higher speeds and gears I found. So if you often find your dropping back to 5th from 6th often due to lack of oomph with no heavy load it could well be the culprit.

Put everything on the right track after I fitted a new one for mine. No recalibration needed. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #867786 16th Nov 2020 9:22pm
dgardel

Italy 
Race.it wrote:

Anybody got an idea of which make this filter is?

Stanadyne

Series 100 Fuel Manager

Model 36995 (LR WJI500040) Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #867898 17th Nov 2020 1:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Race.it

The one that’s on there before did not look genuine I have put that one on.

I did google the number and did not locate it Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #867907 17th Nov 2020 3:27pm
Race.it

This is the closest I got from the one I took off

https://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/BI/PFX/GB/CS760.html Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #867908 17th Nov 2020 3:29pm
Race.it

So been on two 3 hour trips yesterday and today and no loss of power, I’ll prob still change the vcv but looks like a filter has cleared my issues up. This is the same trip I did two weeks ago so direct comparison.

One thing though I have now gained is a vibration that I tracked back to the metal cover that goes over the fuel filter. Managed to cure it for a bit with some paper in the middle to reduce the metal on metal, and decided that I need to put some foam in the middle to quiten that down. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #869042 22nd Nov 2020 9:21pm
Race.it

So had the fuel filter in and it’s been running a lot better.

Till today pulling onto a on ramp to a autovía and loss of power again all gears no codes so guess the vcv needs to be changed now.

The difference though today before I went on the on ramp the car had been ideling as waiting for my other half to do some shopping and when she got back to the car she said it smelt a little of fuel, I think it could of been over fueling on idle. At least I got a job now for xmas day 😂😂😂 Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #873898 20th Dec 2020 8:04pm
Race.it

so sorry for the long time no update on this subject (even just putting this here for future search results to get a conclusion)

I managed over the weekend to go on a journey (300km's) that normally set my issue off (the loss of power)

The good news is that I did not experience loss of power, so VCV was the answer for me, the others cleaning the MAF, MAP, and new fuel filter, and air filter etc, made it better, but looks like the solution was the VCV, I have now ordered a spare for the future, incase it goes again. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

Post #968022 17th Oct 2022 2:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That is good news. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #968234 18th Oct 2022 10:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12