↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Snow Test - Muds v ATs v All Season v Winters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Snow Test - Muds v ATs v All Season v Winters
Interesting video as we approaching the season of ice and snow.

2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #866558 10th Nov 2020 7:54pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Happened to watch that yesterday.

Quite a good video. Although for relevance to the UK, apart from maybe some parts of Scotland. We don't really get prolonged exposure to snow. Most snow in the UK falls quickly, then melts within 24-48 hrs or less. Sometimes it's gone the same day!

So we rarely face heavily compacted and frosted/crunchy snow. Which to some extent may alter how the tyres perform a bit. Fresh and/or powered snow allows tyres to bit in a lot more. Such as tyres with bigger lugs.

I also think it is a shame that they didn't include a regular summer tyre in the comparison. Again for the UK at least. Most people will be on summer tyres. And it would be interesting to see if a Mud Terrain is still a step up in snowy conditions, even if it isn't the best option.

On a personal note. I've found MT's in general to be pretty good in the snow (UK freshly fallen type of snow). And at least compared to the mild AT's I've used in the snow or summer tyres. The MT's were leaps ahead in ability. Although if it does snow, I also usually go off road too. And I'm sure the MT is still a good choice for that.

e.g.

I was in the Series in front. Running narrow 7.00 x 16 MT's with no sipes. It felt unstoppable and stopped and cornered brilliantly in the conditions.

?t=125
Post #866681 11th Nov 2020 10:27am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Agree, it would have been good for a summer tyre to be included. They are a disaster on any form of snow and ice. This maybe because the video seemed to be using US market tyres, and I'm told they don't go for summers tyres as we know them as much, except for on more high performance vehicles. They fit what they call an all-season, which is somewhere in between what we call a summer and an all-season.

Maybe there's US member on here can confirm that?

I've been using full winters on our everyday cars for years and am a big fan. My new set actually arrived this morning. I don't bother with the Defender as I don't like getting road salt on it so don't take it out! With the way local authorities have cut back on gritting and ploughing on all but their main routes I'm finding that we are getting more and more days of treacherous semi-melted compressed slush in this area, which has increased the need for winter tyre. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #866701 11th Nov 2020 12:06pm
dorsetsmith

and 4 wheel drive not just 2 wheel drive
Post #866706 11th Nov 2020 12:18pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
Agree, it would have been good for a summer tyre to be included. They are a disaster on any form of snow and ice. This maybe because the video seemed to be using US market tyres, and I'm told they don't go for summers tyres as we know them as much, except for on more high performance vehicles. They fit what they call an all-season, which is somewhere in between what we call a summer and an all-season.

Maybe there's US member on here can confirm that?

I think it can vary by State also. Very little need for any kind of snow or all season tyre in places like Texas, Florida or Arizona.
Post #866794 11th Nov 2020 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1