↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Anyone got a winch fitted?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Mark1107

United States 
Most winches will fit the new defender with minor modifications and an angle grinder. My 15 yrold Warn 9.5 ti thermometric winch fit with 1 cut and 4 spacers on the bottom of the winch attachment points .

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2022 Defender Trek Competition 110 collectors edition!
2020 Defender 110 P400 Full Explorer Pack 7 Seater HSE Fuji White(sold)
2020 SVO Range Rover L405 Full Size Spectral Blue Chromaflair
2014 Range Rover L405 Autobiography Full Size Aintree Green
2014 Dodge Viper GTS Stryker Green
Post #864700 1st Nov 2020 5:46am
Dave B

United Kingdom 
Spikemd wrote:
You want your winch connected to the main battery, not the secondary. Whenever u use the winch, it takes a lot of amps so always have your engine running. It would draw down a secondary too quickly.

Secondary batteries are used for ancillary items like fridges, lights, chargers and such usually when the truck isn't running. Good idea to have an isatpr or better a dc to dc charger and fuse box for each additional circuit. Use a deep cycle battery bit can only draw down a lead acid 50% before you start hurting the battery. Lithium now can be drawn down 90% weight 1/3 of the weight and charge faster. Downside is cost, but we have seen amazing performance from a 120ah lithium.

Thanks. Never needed a winch so always assumed they used a second battery. Have fitted several out for overland so understand second battery concept. It’s just the location we need. Don’t want to be drilling holes and fitting brackets in a brand new car.
Post #864720 1st Nov 2020 9:24am
Dave B

United Kingdom 
Spikemd wrote:
You want your winch connected to the main battery, not the secondary. Whenever u use the winch, it takes a lot of amps so always have your engine running. It would draw down a secondary too quickly.

Secondary batteries are used for ancillary items like fridges, lights, chargers and such usually when the truck isn't running. Good idea to have an isatpr or better a dc to dc charger and fuse box for each additional circuit. Use a deep cycle battery bit can only draw down a lead acid 50% before you start hurting the battery. Lithium now can be drawn down 90% weight 1/3 of the weight and charge faster. Downside is cost, but we have seen amazing performance from a 120ah lithium.

Thanks. Never needed a winch so always assumed they used a second battery. Have fitted several out for overland so understand second battery concept. It’s just the location we need. Don’t want to be drilling holes and fitting brackets in a brand new car.
Post #864721 1st Nov 2020 9:25am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
There’s space under the boot floor if you don’t have a 7-seater, might be able to mount it there?
Post #864743 1st Nov 2020 11:04am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Thank you Mark for your effort to try this out. Yes bolt pattern is the same. Nice to see this can be modified.
But How about the clutch engagement, can you reach it. How about the cooling with the 9.5ti ? It is higher.

I have used the 9.5ti with remote control and synthetic line for over 10 years, sometimes it can be handy to release the clutch.

Looking forward on the rest of your install.
Post #864759 1st Nov 2020 12:42pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Somebody has previously posted a link to some wiring diagrams, this was included:

Click image to enlarge
Post #864761 1st Nov 2020 1:50pm
Spikemd

United States 1990 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Sumatra Black
Winch looks awesome! I assume you need the bull nose A frame for the winch kit. It was required kn my P38 when I fitted a winch. I will ask the dealer here in California, USA if I can purchase the kit when/if I order my truck. I haven't seen it as an option on the US build website.
Post #864998 2nd Nov 2020 4:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12