↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > higher gearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
NMBRPL8

Australia 
higher gearing
i find the puma defender is too lowly geared for my purposes.
should i tune it, change the tranfer case gear, change the diff gears, change the tires, or something else?
Post #863584 26th Oct 2020 10:23am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That depends, to an extent, what your purposes are and how high you think you'd like to raise the gearing:

If you need or want taller tyres then that's an easy way to increasing the gearing, but it affects both high and low range. Depending on how big you go, you may create other problems that need to be engineered out with a suspension lift and castor correction measures.

Changing the diff gearing is a much more expensive solution and again affects both high and low range. It may be more practical though if you were already planning to upgrade them with lockers or LSD's, for example.

Changing transfer gears is less expensive and can be done so that it only affects high range, leaving low range untouched. Ashcrofts offer a 1.1 gear to replace the standard 1.2, which could be what you're looking for.

Tuning the engine won't affect the gearing at all, although I guess it'd make it easier to pull away in second, if that's the issue. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #863585 26th Oct 2020 10:34am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Maybe worth considering 255/85R16 (or similar OD) tyres. To me the perfect size for an everyday Defender including towing. m
Post #863682 26th Oct 2020 8:15pm
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I have been running Ashcroft 1.1 ratio in the transfer box with a tuned engine (165BHP tune from BAS) on my 2.4L Puma for 2 years / 20k kms now. I wouldn't change the gearing without a tuned engine though. I wouldn't change the gearing if I was towing also. It does not affect the speedo, does not affect the low range gearing. It is also the opportunity to slot an Ashcroft ATB diff in the transfer box while at it, improving backlash and traction over the standard poor diff while keeping the possibility to manually lock it when necessary. To give you an idea, the 1.1 ratio in high range drops engine rpm by around 9% for achieving the same road speed as a 1.2 ratio. One good way to (slightly) reduce engine noise in the cabin ! And now the 1st gear is not "too" short anymore, oh well, still a bit short but I can live with it now.

Of course this set-up is more costly than just putting taller tyres, but there are much more benefits for me with the 1.1 route.

/Mat

Last edited by MatLandy on 28th Oct 2020 10:06am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #863978 28th Oct 2020 8:47am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
changing the tyres is the simplest way of doing it. what are you running now? 235.85s? try the above or 255.85s these seem to give a good compromise for most applications.

if it works but you dont want to run big tyres then reverting to 235.85s with a 1.1 T box will give you same (as near as) benefit as 255.85s with a 1.2 box.

i am going the other way with my 130 which is heavy and tows dropping to a 1.3 box. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #863980 28th Oct 2020 9:09am
NMBRPL8

Australia 
great feedback thanks. can the puma not handle the higher gearing without a tune? i dont have much faith in this modern donk as it is in its detuned state.
Post #863996 28th Oct 2020 10:29am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It'll work but it'll obviously be more sluggish. Whilst not an exact comparison, try pulling away in second to get an idea. Nothing to do with any weakness in the engine - it's just the way that it's been set up. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #863997 28th Oct 2020 10:33am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
NMBRPL8 wrote:
great feedback thanks. can the puma not handle the higher gearing without a tune? i dont have much faith in this modern donk as it is in its detuned state.

Well what are you trying to achieve?

Taller gearing will blunt performance. And unless you have the grunt from the engine, you may find it won't hold speed as well or even require you to downshift where you didn't before. Especially on hills and inclines.

With the 6 speed in the Puma's, they are already very capable of cruising at decent speeds.

I believe the Puma already has the 1.211:1 transfer box as standard. Which on factory sized tyres gives you 70mph @ 2300rpm

https://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/calc/ratio_calc.html
Post #864001 28th Oct 2020 11:20am
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
MatLandy wrote:
I have been running Ashcroft 1.1 ratio in the transfer box with a tuned engine (165BHP tune from BAS) on my 2.4L Puma for 2 years / 20k kms now. I wouldn't change the gearing without a tuned engine though. I wouldn't change the gearing if I was towing also. It does not affect the speedo, does not affect the low range gearing. It is also the opportunity to slot an Ashcroft ATB diff in the transfer box while at it, improving backlash and traction over the standard poor diff while keeping the possibility to manually lock it when necessary. To give you an idea, the 1.1 ratio in high range drops engine rpm by around 9% for achieving the same road speed as a 1.2 ratio. One good way to (slightly) reduce engine noise in the cabin ! And now the 1st gear is not "too" short anymore, oh well, still a bit short but I can live with it now.

Of course this set-up is more costly than just putting taller tyres, but there are much more benefits for me with the 1.1 route.

/Mat

Thumbs Up glad you like it, Dave
Post #864308 29th Oct 2020 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1