↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Shroppy's V8 127 Rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I was about to edit my post and put 6-4 Laughing

We once built a bike for a guy who was 6’ 9” we used the largest head tube Reynolds made and didn’t cut it! We dubbed that bike ‘the gate’ Laughing

Nice bits going on your 127 too Thumbs Up

How on earth do you fit in a truck cab Shocked
Post #851843 25th Aug 2020 7:34am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
Where was that Greeni? When I worked in the trade about 4 years ago, nothing fit 'off the shelf' thankfully I was more concerned with MTBs then. Thankfully Fairlight have pulled a blinder with their range that are designed to actually fit the rider else, I would have been going custom myself!

I don't really fit in a truck cab to be honest, that's probably why I only drove the 127 about 2 miles before I stripped it. Rolling with laughter I can fit reasonably comfortably in a van body with seat rails and very comfortably in a CSW but the rear passengers have very little leg room. Laughing

Re the nice bits, thanks! I'm trying to make sure I don't miss any of the bits I wished I did on the 110. Trouble is, I'm now trying to make sure everything is a good as new to match the new engine. Big Cry 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #851845 25th Aug 2020 7:50am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I was at Brian Rourke Cycles for quite a few years. Rourke jnr actually has a tdi 90 on a galv chassis with an external cage, he's had it about 15 years now, we used to get out laning quite regularly. Although the shop sold, Rourke frames still exist being built by Jase Rourke, he also bought George Longstaff’s business (famous for racing trikes) and has another business painting frames for a number of shops, teams and manufacturers.
I still work in the trade, but for an online retail site, business is booming!!
Where were you at?
Post #851874 25th Aug 2020 10:01am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
A few years back!

The white rag top is a 100” v8.. the owner sold me a proper Overfinch RRC, with the 5.7 Chevy in it, it was painted in Aston Martin Sage Green and was ‘back-dated’ with 70’s steel bumpers... i wish i had a photo of it, or know where it is now.
Post #851876 25th Aug 2020 10:11am
Shroppy

I have a lot of admiration for Rourke and, very nearly went for a frame but my lack of patience saw me buy the Fairlight instead. Following Jason on instagram, he's clearly incredibly skilled! Was the 100" built on a RRC chassis?

I worked for a small shop called Plush Hill Cycles in Church Stretton (although that shop is now closed and a new one opened over Telford way). Started as a Saturday boy through school and college and then they put me through my Cytech during my gap year. Was a great time but, I soon realised I didn't want to run a bike shop as I had once thought.... I left to do Civil (now Structural) Engineering in 2016 but went back to lend a hand over lock down. Business is certainly booming!

That overfinch sounds phenomenal Shocked 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #851897 25th Aug 2020 11:25am
Shroppy

A bit of a picture heavy update....

Lots of jobs being ticked off in the background, need to learn to be a little less anal about every stage.

Sourced a NOS GEMS flywheel for the 4.6, rocking horse poop.

Click image to enlarge

Collected the first batch of galvanising, not sure if I'd bother next time around. It's nice to know everything is well protected but I lost several hours to cleaning threads and clearing excessive galv.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've used duralac on all the new bushes, hopefully it'll prevent some of the corrosion that usually makes it difficult to replace them.

Click image to enlarge

Rebuilt Epco working well;

Click image to enlarge

I'll spare you all the photos I took whilst welding up Nige's new diff pans and instead show you the finished front axle;

Click image to enlarge

Whilst the truss and diffpan may be overkill, I'd sooner do it now whilst I have easy access than regret it down the line.

I modified the axle truss to allow easy access to the breather for fitting/removal;

Click image to enlarge

I also took the opportunity to strengthen the panhard bracket as per the later axle casings;

Click image to enlarge

Swivel housings etc. got a bath in degreaser before a date with the cup brush;

Click image to enlarge

If the weather holds I'll hopefully have the suspension arms and front axle components painted soon, then its onto the rear axle for which I've already welded up the diff pan. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #859876 5th Oct 2020 9:59am
Shroppy

We've had a few days of calm and dry weather in Shropshire recently which meant I was able to crack on with some painting, sneak peak of a swivel housing;

Click image to enlarge

The Jotun products I'm using have a pretty long cure time at low temperatures so I'll hold off on assembly for the moment and focus on the rear axle. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #862444 19th Oct 2020 2:40pm
Shroppy

With the front axle bits curing inside (should halve the cure time) I turned my attention to the rear and set about blasting it along with a ruck of other bits to be sent for galvanising (brake shields etc.)

Click image to enlarge

Also thought it worth sharing a tip for painting your swivel housings;

The upper and lower pins need to sit against machines faces to ensure a good seal in the case of the lower pin and, to allow accurate setting of the preload via the top pin.

From what I can tell, the housings were painted then machined in the factory, all well and good but I don't have a mill and, machining such a large portion of the casting provides a lovely surface for rust. Instead, I opted to stick the swivel pins to the housing using a couple of dabs of superglue, using the bolts to ensure it was located correctly.

Once painted I ran a sharp blade around the edge of the pin, a light tap with a soft faced hammer and bobs your uncle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

You can then trim any excess paint to ensure a bit of wiggle room for the pins and shims. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #863141 23rd Oct 2020 6:47am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
It’s looking good Thumbs Up
Post #863150 23rd Oct 2020 7:23am
Shroppy

I keep telling myself that it will start looking like I've made progress soon... but for now I'm still working away on the parts you'll never see.

Yesterday evening I chopped the bump stop and brake line bracket off the rear axle ready for trussing then turned my attention to straightening the disc mudshields before they go for galvanising;

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I purchased the rear puma axle I'm using from a breakers where it had clearly been dragged around on the shields. Whilst you can buy new ones, that doesn't sit well with me if the originals can be repaired. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #863972 28th Oct 2020 7:14am
Shroppy

About time for an update I think, feels as though its been one step forward and two back but lots of jobs ticked off:

- 2nd batch of brackets/mounts galvanised and ready for paint.
- Rear calipers (courtesy of AndrewS) rebuilt and ready for paint, as are the NOS fronts.
- New B post sections sourced, though they will need to be dipped to remove the e-coat before welding/galvanising.
- Diffs fettled and and awaiting their super pinion flanges from Nige at 4x4Xcess.

Click image to enlarge

- LT230 stripped which was a good excuse to try out my new to me SP pullers.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I've taken to cataloging every part as I go which makes inspection/reassembly much easier. A friend has kindly offered to aquablast the casings for me so once they're back I can reassemble with new bearings, Ashcroft ATB Centre diff and 1.22 ratio gearset. Sleeved casing arrived from Winchester gears arrived last week.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

- R380 stripped too:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately the suffix L box I'd hoped to use was pretty much spannered. I have a spare suffix J V8 box that I've liberated the bellhousing etc. from but a number of the parts aren't interchangeable and the suffix L is a much stronger box. Having weighed up my options I've opted to rebuild the suffix L box with all new gears, thankfully I was able to buy a number of new OEM gears from a rebuilder who was selling up. I'm hopefull it well end up costing about the same as recon unit (outright) for a pretty much (bar the casings and non-wear components) new box.

- Front axle components are painted/cleaned/tapped and ready for assembly, suspension components are in primer so will hopefully be topcoated soon now that the weather is warming up.

Click image to enlarge

- I had got as far as welding up the truss on the rear axle, with the diff pan mounting ring tacked on and ready for finish welding when I realised the casing was pretty badly bent - nearly 2° of negative camber on the long side (see other thread in technical section). Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

After a couple of failed attempts to straighten it, I gave up and put it down as a learning experience. I'm almost certain the bend wasn't caused by my welding and instead was probably a result of overloading (axle came from a breakers), either that or it slipped passed QC.

I was fortunate enough to source a replacement casing and Nige was able to send me a new set of trusses so I'm slowly clawing back at the progress I'd once made!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #885772 15th Feb 2021 9:07pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looking well and robust!

(ref Plush Hill. I remember them in Church Stretton, we used to ride up and around the Mynd, we'll be up that way for picnics by the glider station in the future).
Post #885831 16th Feb 2021 10:44am
Shroppy

Thanks Greeni!

I'm very fortunate to have grown up with a view of the Mynd from the house so it became my stomping ground from a young age! Let me know when you're next over this way and I'll sort you a brew or a beer if covid allows. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #885849 16th Feb 2021 12:24pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Deal !! Thumbs Up
Post #885873 16th Feb 2021 2:35pm
Jon w

Wales 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Interested to see what the next turn of events for this project is as I see the chassis has been listed for sale?
Different engine choice hopefully?
Post #993213 18th May 2023 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>