↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > INEOS Grenadier > Probably not the sort of record they are going for?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Probably not the sort of record they are going for?
"The petrochemical multinational, Ineos, is by far the largest climate polluter in Scotland, according to the latest official data.

Five oil, chemical and power plants owned by the company at Grangemouth spewed 3.2 million tonnes of carbon dioxide into the air during 2019. That was twice as much as the amount emitted by the second biggest polluter, power company SSE.

The company’s chemicals plant, its infrastructure facility and its oil pipeline were also big dischargers of the climate-disrupting gas. Emission levels from the chemicals plant have been revised following an earlier disagreement between Sepa and Ineos."

https://theferret.scot/ineos-sse-exxon-carbon-polluter/
Post #859733 4th Oct 2020 12:07pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
...i cant see why CO2 will be a bad thing as plant life starving for it anyway...and according to this man, who is one of the people who actually did setup program for monitoring 'climate change', hysteria is completely baseless..

&feature=emb_title
Post #862713 21st Oct 2020 1:51am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Dyson was pretty famous for his (I’ll be charitable since he died earlier this year and some of his contributions to mathematics and science are deserving of respect) “controversial” opinions on climate change and a number of other social issues.

I’m afraid most of what he has to say on the topic is somewhere between pseudo-science and blind religious faith that things will be okay. CO2 might be good for plants, the Cretaceous had loads of it and was very green... only problem being sea level was over 100m above current levels and temperatures were about 20 degrees higher...

Hysteria might be unnecessary but moving towards a sustainable future only has benefits for everyone.

Anyway, rather off topic... but there’s lots of good entry-level climate science out there to be found if you care to look. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #862952 21st Oct 2020 9:43pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Post #863183 23rd Oct 2020 10:11am
Supacat

I read that and started to wonder whether owning a vehicle with "Ineos" emblazoned all over it would be seen as a bit of a red rag to certain groups?
Post #863191 23rd Oct 2020 10:47am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
As much as the Grenadier appeals to me (more so than Def2), it wouldn't have done Ineos any harm to have developed it as an electric, or at least with an electric option - especially when even Hummer has been relaunched as a BEV.
Tech, costs & attitudes are changing fast, and if it's not even available until 2022, it's going to look even more out of step by then. Might not be a problem in developing countries, but could limit it's take-up elsewhere.
Post #863193 23rd Oct 2020 10:51am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Nail on the head.

While we like the grenadier for its deliberately “old school” approach, there’s a reason most other car manufacturers abandoned it.

If they wanted to really be successful I can’t help thinking they had to “reinvent” what rugged and practical means, not just revive what came before, I’m sure they’d have ended up down the lines of what Rivian/Hummer/Tesla have ended up going down. I’m not sure what another basically “old” 4x4 is really for. Like others have said, maybe they’re really just targeting the developing world... Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #863200 23rd Oct 2020 11:19am
Supacat

It's apparently going to wash it's face with 30,000 global sales per annum. That's super niche, so they really don't have to follow what any mainstream manufacturer is doing. In fact, if they did they would probably fail, as Dyson did. It's the very fact that they are doing something completely different, at the indicated volume, that may well be why it will succeed.

Cheshire110 wrote:

While we like the grenadier for its deliberately “old school” approach, there’s a reason most other car manufacturers abandoned it.

If Ineos has proved anything, it's that taking over other producers worn out, run down or abandoned assets, can actually be a very profitable investment if you have the right skills.
Post #863202 23rd Oct 2020 11:38am
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:
I read that and started to wonder whether owning a vehicle with "Ineos" emblazoned all over it would be seen as a bit of a red rag to certain groups?

Well, to certain groups any vehicle which has more than two wheels and an engine of any kind is a red rag... Rolling Eyes

To them, it's all "SUVs". A year ago there was a terrible accident in Berlin, where the driver of a Porsche Macan killed four pedestrians. Since then there's a religious hate towards all "SUVs". "Certain groups" call them "tank-like cars". Evil or Very Mad When a "journalist" used this term on the radio, I told him he was foolishly repeating nonsense and that he had no idea what a tank really is. To my surprise he realised he was wrong and was indeed just parroting Shocked Thumbs Up It seems, sometimes some people just need a (verbal) slap in the face...
Post #863221 23rd Oct 2020 3:44pm
Setok

Finland 
I have to agree on the BEV point. It’s pretty clear the world is going there and in a few years my bet is most new cars sold will be BEVs. Investing so much in a new diesel powered vehicle is not what I would’ve done. Right now there are now utility-focused 4x4 BEVs, and the Cybertruck is the only one even coming out (and whether it will appear in Europe is a big question mark). So there would be space in the market for one.
Post #866049 8th Nov 2020 11:56am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1