Home > General & Technical (L663) > Pivi Pro / Waze / Apple Car Play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Pivi Pro / Waze / Apple Car Play
Hi All,

So after driving this weekend, I was using the built in navigation that comes with Pivi Pro...unfortunately it was useless in terms of navigation.

It lagged, it told me I was on a completely different road, the navigation route it picked was absolutely horrendous.

I pulled in, connected my iPhone and used Waze instead which immediately 'just worked'.

The only benefit of using the inbuilt navigation with Pivi Pro is that up coming turns etc appear in the driver display.

however with iPhone / Waze - you have to rely on looking at the Media screen or listening to turn by turn instructions.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get the turn by turn instructions appear up on the drivers display?
Post #862429 19th Oct 2020 2:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Go into the info screen set up for the speedo/Rev counter in the dash not the big info screen and you’ll find out all the choices including having the nav display either full screen or between the two “dials” which is how I’ve got it set up.
I’ve not had any issues with the PiviPro Pro Nav routing, it’s always been spot on but I live out in the middle of nowhere where tall buildings buses etc could shield the signals from the GPS

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 19th Oct 2020 2:36pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #862434 19th Oct 2020 2:31pm
defender_enthusiast

United Kingdom 
Thanks for this Tim!

Quote:
Go into the info screen set up for the speedo/Rev counter in the dash not the big info screen and you’ll find out all the choices including having the nav display either full screen or between the two “dials”

I believe that will allow for turn by turn instructions to appear for the inbuilt navigation, but they don't show turn by turn for car play.

Are you aware of how to enable it for 3rd party apps?
Post #862435 19th Oct 2020 2:35pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just added the instructions for setting up the screen to my post above - I’ve not tried it myself but you may be able to set it to display Media to get apps showing, but I don’t think PiviPro Pro is that advanced that it can show 3rd party nav apps in that screen. My last car with Apple CarPlay had the BMW system and it couldn’t put Waze onto the info screen in front of the driver or into the head up display, I had to use the hopeless BMW MAV for visible directions - the only smart thing about the BMW Nav was it was programmed with all the road gradients and could navigate my PHEV to avoid steep uphills, but general routing wasn’t a patch on the LR system in the Range Rover Sport I ran from 2015 to 2018. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862436 19th Oct 2020 2:37pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ve always used LRs system, so far it’s always worked a treat and that’s on LRs awful Incompetent Touch Pro system. Hoping for the same if not better from Pivi Pro.
Post #862447 19th Oct 2020 3:45pm
umbertob

United States 
I think the built-in satnav is quite accurate here in California, and I do like the directions being displayed on both driver display and HUD, plus I find the maps and turn information are clear and pleasant to look at, day or night. However, I am so used to Google Maps, I end up using it anyway 90% of the times. It just knows where everything is. Company offices, local parks, trailheads, dry cleaners, whatever, it's all in the gigantic Google database. You just say the name and it magically knows how to get there. The database of the stock system is far more limited obviously, and harder to navigate by voice. I don't believe there is a way to have Google maps or Waze pop up in the driver display or HUD, unfortunately. 2020 NAS Defender 110 HSE 5-seater / Silver / Khaki / Black Pack / Black Roof / Satin Film / Cold Pack / Off-Road Pack / Advanced OR Pack / Comfort + Convenience Pack / Sirius + HD radio / HUD / Meridian Surround
Post #862529 20th Oct 2020 6:27am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
My only experience with the new Pivi Pro was on a 3hr test drive around London, but it worked perfectly, seemed about as good as google maps.

I’m sure I saw somewhere the data was from google maps? Maybe worth persevering with it - I think these things learn a bit and you might be able to make it do an update of some sort?

Agreed that CarPlay in the dash etc would be nice but I don’t think that would be possible; CarPlay has quite restrictive parameters like screen size/layout etc and so there’s a limit to how “integrated” it can be, as far as I understand Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #862573 20th Oct 2020 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1