Home > Off Topic > Jaguar’s new chief, Thierry Bolloré, may axe models
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Jaguar’s new chief, Thierry Bolloré, may axe models
And so it begins...

"Jaguar Land Rover’s new boss could slash the car-maker’s product range — even ditching its forthcoming electric XJ saloon.

Former Renault chief executive Thierry Bolloré is believed to be mulling deep cuts to its line-up, with up to six current and planned models facing the axe.

Bolloré, who replaced Sir Ralf Speth last month, is grappling with an array of issues at Britain’s biggest car-maker, from the economic slump to a confused mix of similar models. He also inherited a range of poor-selling Jaguar saloons.

Sources said Bolloré had two to three months to make a decision on whether to continue with the electric XJ or pursue a fundamental shake-up of the Jaguar brand.

He is understood to have raised concerns about persistent losses at Jaguar, which have been subsidised with profits from Land Rover.

Jaguar’s flagship XJ was launched in 1968 and an armoured version is used by the prime minister. A new, battery-powered model had been due to roll off production lines at its Castle Bromwich factory in the West Midlands early next year, but that was delayed by the pandemic until next October.

Bolloré is understood to be considering halting the XJ, despite JLR and its suppliers having spent tens of millions of pounds on tooling for the new car. It has limited sales prospects, with Jaguar hoping to sell 38,000 a year. Bolloré, 57, is considering ditching two more models — a Range Rover and a Jaguar SUV — that were due to be built on the same platform, or skeleton.

Also at risk are its Jaguar XE and XF saloons, sales of which have disappointed, and its Discovery Sport SUV, with similar characteristics to a number of its other SUVs. That raises questions over JLR’s Castle Bromwich and Halewood plants.

Model cuts would be a significant diversion from Speth’s strategy. The Bavarian was hired by Tata to turn round Jaguar after the Indian conglomerate bought the car-maker from Ford for £1.1bn in 2008.

Speth steered it to record profits and sales, set a target of selling one million cars a year, and tried to take on the German giants. However, issues ranging from slumping sales in China to the US-China trade war sent it crashing to heavy losses and forced deep job cuts.

Bolloré is believed to be keen to move Jaguar more upmarket to take on Tesla. He is also understood to have raised concerns about the pace of electrification at JLR, and expressed surprise about the prospect of no all-electric Range Rover any time soon. JLR said it “does not comment on speculation from anonymous sources about our business”."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jaguars...-zk6fc0p59

No all electric Range Rover must have been an interesting conversation with Nick Rogers. " It can't be done" says Nick, who lost out to Bollore for the top job, only for Thierry to counter "maybe I need to hire a new engineer from one of our competitors that are all making large BEV SUVs?"

Waiting for him to ask "What does that bloke wearing a cravat and walking around like a emperor penguin actually do?"
Post #862188 18th Oct 2020 6:17am
Tim in Scotland

Surely it cannot be beyond LR to do a re-engineer of the IPace into a full on off road vehicle. It is already engineered for 4WD, it is already able to be supplied with on air springs or coil suspension and it is already available with a suite of clever electronic off road traction enhancements. I was taken on a test drive off-road in one, albeit the £80,000+ version, with air suspension but even without a low range transfer box etc it made a pretty good job of getting around the off-road centre’s tracks on sporty 100% on road tyres. Even in current form it can (with the right option boxes ticked/ big enough wallet) equal the abilities of Evoque and Discovery Sport. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #862194 18th Oct 2020 7:20am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Jaguar is an interesting brand. They make some nice cars. I had an XE through work for a bit and thought it drove excellent and looked smart. The F Type looks good too. I would say in general they are better looking cars than their German rivals and must be comparable to drive, but don’t seem to be able to compete on image/status. Just can’t shake off that slightly old-man image.

Land Rover on the other hand have painted themselves into a corner, which should never have happened. Moving to more and more similar models that compete with each other was bound to bight them in the end. The problem is not the number of models, but the lack of diversity. If a customer doesn’t want a premium SUV, Land Rover has nothing to offer. No other top tier car maker has such a narrow product offering.

And they need to sort out their build quality and reliability (perceived and real).

The best thing they could do in my view is get sold off by Tata to become part of a bigger pure auto group, like BMW or PSA, so they can share platforms and development costs more. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #862202 18th Oct 2020 8:15am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Surely it cannot be beyond LR to do a re-engineer of the IPace into a full on off road vehicle. It is already engineered for 4WD, it is already able to be supplied with on air springs or coil suspension and it is already available with a suite of clever electronic off road traction enhancements.

I've also wondered exactly this...
Post #862210 18th Oct 2020 9:11am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Can you image the job interview....

Here is what we want you to achieve

Here are the challenges

This is what you have to work with

Here is the budget

Any questions?

Wee, will you agree to my severance terms and gold plated pension. Good, I'll take the job....
Post #862219 18th Oct 2020 9:36am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Amazing, no mention of dealing with the underlying reasons for poor sales! Insipid styling and poor build quality = poor residuals further depressing sales. Cutting the range to focus on making fewer better cars seems like a good idea, cutting the range to churn out fewer cars of the same build quality is commercial suicide.

As an aside I drive past the Morgan factory most weekends as it is next to Malvern RFC. There is some significant investment going on there, it no longer looks like an engineering workshop!
Post #862228 18th Oct 2020 10:31am
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
All feels a bit similar to BL (but minus industrial action), too many models being produced in competition to each other etc. That cycle ended with Land Rover propping up the parent....then being sold off, sound familiar? 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #862237 18th Oct 2020 11:27am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
Surely it cannot be beyond LR to do a re-engineer of the IPace into a full on off road vehicle

The new MLA platform (coming in next year’s Range Rover) is engineered for all-electric anyway.
Post #862248 18th Oct 2020 12:19pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Discovery Sport- Unlikely to go I would have thought as it has been the most consistent seller of the Landrover Product line up for the last couple of years.

Chris
Post #862257 18th Oct 2020 2:31pm
Slideywindows

England 
Forgive me, but how many of us could NOT see this coming, at least three years ago?
Post #862286 18th Oct 2020 5:01pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Nothing like telling the shareholders to sell up quick just in case, don't want anyone to lose money SAAB like.....

JLR need to get back to a starting price similar to the first gen Freelander and build brand advocates, not those dipping in to the JLR brand, getting fed up then leaving.

They also need a sales team that actually do more than sit around drinking coffee - what i mean by this is (and using my wife as an example), she has had a Freelander 1 three door, Freelander 1 four door, Discovery 2, Discovery 3, Evoque, Discovery Sport SD, Discovery Sport Ingenium and now a Velar.

Has JLR ever once phoned her to ask if she would like to try a new vehicle or ask when she would like to change vehicles - the answer, never.

In a nutshell,i think that the company has had it good for too long and now the world, in more ways than one has moved on.

He is going to have his work cut out, and it will be painful.
Post #862313 18th Oct 2020 7:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1