↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Mosside Land Rover new bonnet Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Mosside Land Rover new bonnet Rack
Spotted this on Facebook today thought it might interest some on here for expedition storage or keep straps or rope in when off reading.

Click image to enlarge
 Andy
Defender 90
Defender 110 XS
Cupra 290
Post #861933 16th Oct 2020 3:29pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Council estate Defender owners could just unbolt the wheels from an Asda trolley found in a nearby alley/canal and bolt that to the bonnet.
Post #861953 16th Oct 2020 5:00pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Re: Mosside Land Rover new bonnet Rack
Oakseywick wrote:
Spotted this on Facebook today thought it might interest some on here for expedition storage or keep straps or rope in when off reading.

Click image to enlarge

Construction & Use Regs 1986...its illegal Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #861958 16th Oct 2020 5:35pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Fat Cog wrote:
Construction & Use Regs 1986...its illegal

Can you be more specific?

Just looks like a less useful version of this:

Click image to enlarge
Post #862034 17th Oct 2020 6:10am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/made

R53 should cover it, but R100 is also a cover all.

The basic test is was it there at the point of manufacture, if not, it's open to legal challenge. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #862051 17th Oct 2020 8:40am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
R53 is specifically about "mascot, emblem or other ornamental object(s)", which doesn't seem relevant here as the prime purpose of the thing is not to be one of those things.

Unless I'm missing something, the relevant part of R100 is more about securing of loads and the danger of them falling off. The other parts of that regulation make some very general statements about the condition of a vehicle and any accessories not being a danger, but I think you'd have to prove that this particular thing is before declaring it illegal. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #862055 17th Oct 2020 9:16am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
LRA - my thoughts exactly, I doubt C&U would be a problem. Type Approval and insurance is another matter.
Post #862059 17th Oct 2020 9:22am
Supacat

Thanks for the link Thumbs Up

Fat Cog wrote:
The basic test is was it there at the point of manufacture, if not, it's open to legal challenge.

Where is this test coming from?

blackwolf wrote:
Type Approval and insurance is another matter.

Type Approval - as in fitted by the manufacturer and offered at 1st point of sale? I wonder is there a distinction drawn to having an object on the bonnet vs say the box on the side of the new Defender, or indeed a winch protruding from the front bumper?
Post #862060 17th Oct 2020 9:22am
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
In principle that bonnet load location doesn’t seem too much different to the roof rack. A particularly hazardous load on the bonnet might be a crucial difference as far as pedestrian safety is concerned? Also care will also be needed not to obscure the view of the road ahead.

Reg53 not relevant in my opinion. As has been mentioned, that relates to mascots and similar objects.

I rather like the bonnet rack. Might be a bit of a nuisance if access to the bonnet was needed when loaded but if there was one for a Puma I could well be tempted Thumbs Up
Post #862064 17th Oct 2020 10:23am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Supacat wrote:
...Type Approval - as in fitted by the manufacturer and offered at 1st point of sale? I wonder is there a distinction drawn to having an object on the bonnet vs say the box on the side of the new Defender, or indeed a winch protruding from the front bumper?

The key difference is that the stupid side-mounted sandwich box and the front winch will have been fitted to the vehicle when it underwent EWVTA. The bonnet rack will never have been type approved, so if fitted to a vehicle which has EWVTA could conceivably invalidate it.

As an example, consider that the bonnet is designed to fold in the event of a hard frontal impact so it doesn't enter the passenger space (the reason you can't fit a bonnet mounted spare on later vehicles). I imagine that it is likely that Mr Bonnet Rack will be competing for your teeth in the event of a similar hard frontal, which might not be a good thing.

On the whole, as long as your insurer is happy with the risk I don't think you'll have a problem, at least, not yet.
Post #862130 17th Oct 2020 5:10pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Re: Mosside Land Rover new bonnet Rack
Construction & Use Regs 1986...its illegal[/quote]

No removable child seat fixings...... Whistle
Post #862154 17th Oct 2020 6:53pm
Supacat

blackwolf wrote:
Supacat wrote:
...Type Approval - as in fitted by the manufacturer and offered at 1st point of sale? I wonder is there a distinction drawn to having an object on the bonnet vs say the box on the side of the new Defender, or indeed a winch protruding from the front bumper?

The key difference is that the stupid side-mounted sandwich box and the front winch will have been fitted to the vehicle when it underwent EWVTA. The bonnet rack will never have been type approved, so if fitted to a vehicle which has EWVTA could conceivably invalidate it.

As an example, consider that the bonnet is designed to fold in the event of a hard frontal impact so it doesn't enter the passenger space (the reason you can't fit a bonnet mounted spare on later vehicles). I imagine that it is likely that Mr Bonnet Rack will be competing for your teeth in the event of a similar hard frontal, which might not be a good thing.

On the whole, as long as your insurer is happy with the risk I don't think you'll have a problem, at least, not yet.

Thumbs Up

I was just querying if it was indeed possible to get type approval for a bonnet basket or indeed a protruding winch (as opposed to a recessed one) now. What counts as core vehicle, and what counts as an accessory? Maybe it's why roofracks, raised air intakes, underbody protection, etc is now all dealer fit.
Post #862160 17th Oct 2020 7:30pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I think it was 1994 / 5. There was a picture in LRO of a Wolf in Germany that had gone off the road and into a ditch.

The front side of the vehicle had pushed in, firing the pic axe handle through the windscreen and bent the steering wheel.

Lucky
Post #862176 17th Oct 2020 9:24pm
Supacat

Same accident on the passenger side would mean becoming acquainted with the blade of the shovel. Shocked

Glad they got it right with the Lightweight and put all the Pioneer tools on the tailgate.

Had a quick Google to see if the LRO photo popped up but just found this:

I think they must be looking for a successor to Gerry...
Post #862184 18th Oct 2020 5:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1