↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intermittent Starting Issue 2.4 TDCI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MGRGPGBG

United States 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Intermittent Starting Issue 2.4 TDCI
This has been an ongoing problem for a while now... running into an issue with intermittent starting. Hoping you all may be able to shed some light onto this issue. 2.4 TDCI

Over the course of time I have seen that this issue pops up when the car is fully warmed up and at normal running temperatures. For instance, I drive it for 30 minutes and then stop at the store to pick something up. I may be in the store for 10-15 minutes and when I come out the car will not start. All functions are up and running, dash cluster lights go on and off, glow plugs on and off, radio plays, lights and windows on and open as expected, just nothing from the ignition when I turn the key. Starter motor not engaged at all, no sounds, etc.

If I wait anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes the car will start as if nothing was wrong.

If I make a short 5 - 10 minute trip down the road to the store, this issue doesn’t occur. It only happens when the car is at normal running temperature.

Below I have pasted a log from the Gap ID Tool that I read when the car would not start. The error codes where not on the confirmed list, this was a comprehensive report.

L316 - Defender 2007
Vehicle scanned on 25-09-2020 06:58
Using IIDTool BT V3.0 B2644

IPC-Instrument Pack

U3000-46 (40) Control module - System internal failure - calibration/parameter memory failure
B1A75-01 (40) Fuel sender 1 circuit - General failure information - general electrical failure
B1A81-64 (40) Internal trip switch circuit - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
P1602-31 (40) Immobilizer/engine control module communication error - Frequency modulation/pulse width modulation failure - no signal
U0401-68 (40) Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module - Algorithm based failure - event information
U2101-00 (40) Control module configuration incompatible

Hoping you may be able to advise what to test next as it is getting pretty frustrating
Post #861784 15th Oct 2020 8:06pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Quote:
P1602-31 (40) Immobilizer/engine control module communication error - Frequency modulation/pulse width modulation failure - no signal
U0401-68 (40) Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module - Algorithm based failure - event information

You almost certainly have the intermittent broken solder joint on the instrument pack connector. You can do a bypass or repair as per my previous post here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post814212.html#814212  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #861785 15th Oct 2020 8:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MGRGPGBG

I will review but I should have noted in the initial post that I had Bell Auto do an immobilizer delete in my software. This issue also happened before the delete occurred...I had hoped the problem was the immobilizer but will look into your post - Thank you
Post #861789 15th Oct 2020 8:25pm
MGRGPGBG

Following up to see if anyone else has had this issue. I tried the fixes mentioned in the above reply but unfortunately that did not solve the problem. Thanks again!
Post #864269 29th Oct 2020 5:43pm
MGRGPGBG

Update - after a few months of testing I seem to have located the issue. Whenever the starting issue occurred the relays were mounted on the metal tabs in the seatbox. I had pulled them from these tabs and they were just hanging in the seatbox area so I would be able to run a test light probe or jumper wire, etc. Once I pulled the relay off the tabs the issue went away. I have a feeling that somehow the wall of the seatbox got hot from my exhaust and the relay was affected by the heat, expanded, and did not make a good contact. Explains why the issue only happens when the truck was warmed up. I plan on fitting some new metal connections and relay sockets on to make sure everything has a good contact. Most likely just leave them in the seatbox as they are now and not on the tab mounts.
Post #887956 26th Feb 2021 2:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1