↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Focal ibus how?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jwb

United States 
Paulas, the 2.1 also includes a 2nd amplifier for 2x55 RMS to front component speakers. I have it in a Far Corners cubby box which works well with standard cubby height but would be a bit tall with an exmoor. Chose the Far Corners because it sits back further and gives more room for transfer box lever. If under cubby doesn't work for you, I would be tempted to mount under rear seats.
Post #852519 28th Aug 2020 3:34am
paulas

thanks for that. Its been fitted now and sounds really good, the only thing is the rear speakers (factory fitted) vibrate too much when the base is turned up. Do you think it would improve if I fitted Focal speakers in the rear? I have Focal speakers in the front and a Focal sub as described earlier
Post #858787 29th Sep 2020 5:40pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes. Would be a massive improvement, also you shouldn’t need much base from the rest of the speakers now as you have the sub to that for you.
Post #858795 29th Sep 2020 6:01pm
jwb

United States 
Paulas,

You may want to double check that your head unit and subwoofer gains and EQ/crossovers are setup correctly. The front/rear 100mm (both OEM and Focal) are a much higher frequency and will not provide much base even if amplified...though a separate amp will greatly improve sound quality and max volume before distortion.

I'm no professional, but recently read up and setup my system like this. Head unit base/mid/treble adjustments should be set to match the front and rear speakers (with subwoofer turned off and speaker volume at max that you will listen)...adjust to your ear but avoid base too high that it distorts....that's what the sub is for. Once set, no need to ever touch head unit base control. Next turn the subwoofer on, turn sub remote volume to max, if you are using RCA sub output then turn head unit sub volume to max, and adjust the sub amp gain and crossovers....again while playing head unit volume at the very max you will listen to. This will ensure the sub will never distort/clip under normal volum. Once setup, use the sub remote volume to adjust listening preference for a given song, etc.

Happy to hear recommendations from anyone else.
Post #858823 29th Sep 2020 7:57pm
paulas

ok thanks guys, I will hunt about online for 2 focal speakers for the rear. MUD uk sell them but maybe I could get them a bit cheaper Very Happy
Post #858917 30th Sep 2020 10:31am
paulas

anyone want to buy a MUD sub locker!!!!
Post #860499 8th Oct 2020 6:33pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I can vouch for how good the sub locker is.

Puts the cubby box at the correct height, easy to wire to, and great sound from it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #860528 8th Oct 2020 8:49pm
newton-tony

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Firenze Red
I tried on another related thread but thought I would ask here as well.

I have wired up my Focal ibus 2.1 under the rear seats.
Connected via rca for now
I read better sound quality if power front speakers from the sub amp via the focal front speaker crossover
I also read the recommendation to upgrade speaker cable while doing this
How is this best done? Using the connector that comes with the kit from the sub to crossover boxes?

I have a 110 utility - if going the recommended route, with front focal speakers powered by sub amp, do people just leave their rear speakers silent?

Many thanks.
Post #860575 9th Oct 2020 8:12am
X4CAC

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I have a full focal setup in my 90 - for the rears I bought a set of ESK130K speakers (with the tweeters fitted in the telephone part of the headliner) and then ran them off a focal amp (Focal FDS 2.350).

This was to go with the ESK100K fitted in the front with the 2.1 sub and Mud under cubby box.

It's loud enough to make my ears bleed Laughing
Post #860583 9th Oct 2020 8:54am
newton-tony

How did you connect the 2.1 sub for best sound?
Post #860588 9th Oct 2020 9:28am
jwb

United States 
newton-tony, I think our setups are the same. I used the full range front RCA outputs (R&L) from the head unit, and kept ibus and factory in dash speaker wire (except for new wire from passive crossovers to speakers). I don't see a way of upgrading the amp-out speaker wire without splicing or re-pinning the ibus connector. This setup sounds very good and I'll probably leave it in this configuration. The ibus manual has a pin-out picture of the connector if ever needed. I might consider re-wiring if it was in a different vehicle with larger, more powerful, speakers. I power the rear "fill" focals from the head unit and factory wiring. Take care!
Post #860649 9th Oct 2020 2:32pm
newton-tony

Thanks jwb.

The harness that came with my iBus 2.1 amp is very tangled, so i may need to cut and splice the amp out to front speaker crossover wires regardless!
Post #860653 9th Oct 2020 2:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12