↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > advice need Facebook Portal.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
advice need Facebook Portal.
I have an elderly relative that lives alone who I am not allowed to visit in their own home due to current restrictions.
They go through the the three month lockdown but only just , they had lost the will to live by the end and have only just back to a happy state and now we are back to a semi lockdown.

I did think back in April that it may be useful for them to actually see someone instead of just hearing a voice when making a phone call but couldn't see how I could make it work as they do not have a computer or smart phone let alone know how the use them even though for some reason they have had an internet connection set up.

Having found an advert for Facebook Portal which uses What's app I was was wonder if the is an easy thing to use , I use Whats app to communicate with my sister but how easy is a Portal to use for an elderly person with no previous experience?

I would be grateful for any users of this device input. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #860413 8th Oct 2020 8:36am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

I was thinking about this sort of think for one of my Neighbours whose mum is 100 years young and in a nursing home. More thank likely going into lock down very soon again.

https://portal.facebook.com/gb/?utm_source...Z2EALw_wcB

Like you the 'user' would have no idea how to use a phone etc...

This after watching the demo looks simple enough, as long as you set it up in there house and then show them how to answer a call. It should be fairly straight forward? With Alexa built in she call even just ask the device 'Alexa call ARC99'

You could use an ipad, android tab, old smart phone, alexa, google nest and many more devices. Would all do the same. I think as long as you set up up to be really basic. Looks like a good option.
Post #860419 8th Oct 2020 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1